E36 Light Switch

Old January 7th 05, 11:05 PM
Brian

Default E36 Light Switch

We have two E36 £ Series both 1997.

The light switch (headlights) background lighting panel has the bulb gone.

I've got the bulbs, is there anything I need to know before I undo the
only screw (Philips) that I can see. Does the unit just pull out after
the screw is out.

My missus would not talk to me if I muck it up as everything (apart from
the pokey little light bulb) works at the moment.

TIA

Brian
Old January 7th 05, 11:07 PM
Brian

Brian wrote:
> We have two E36 £ Series both 1997.
>
> The light switch (headlights) background lighting panel has the bulb gone.
>
> I've got the bulbs, is there anything I need to know before I undo the
> only screw (Philips) that I can see. Does the unit just pull out after
> the screw is out.
>
> My missus would not talk to me if I muck it up as everything (apart from
> the pokey little light bulb) works at the moment.
>
> TIA
>
> Brian

That should read 3 Series (323 and 328)

Sorry about that.
Old January 7th 05, 11:18 PM
Rick Clark

>Brian honked his horn and wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > We have two E36 £ Series both 1997.
> >
> > The light switch (headlights) background lighting panel has the
> > bulb gone.
> >
> > I've got the bulbs, is there anything I need to know before I undo
> > the only screw (Philips) that I can see. Does the unit just pull
> > out after the screw is out.
> >
> > My missus would not talk to me if I muck it up as everything (apart
> > from the pokey little light bulb) works at the moment.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Brian

> That should read 3 Series (323 and 328)
>
> Sorry about that.

If it is like my '92 E36 325 then you need to pull the knob of the
front of the switch. Behind it is a large plastic nut. Undo that and it
pushed out the BACK of the panel. You need to drop the trim panel under
the dash to get the switch from out from round the back of the dash.

--
Cheers

Rick

'92 E36 325 Coupe
http://bmw.aqua-maniac.co.uk
Old January 8th 05, 04:41 AM
John E Yurkon

Yes, it pulls straight out along with the vent. It will pull out far enough
to give you room to remove the connector. Then you can replace the bulb.
You don't need to remove the knob and push it out the back. I've done this
on my '97 328is and it is pretty easy.

Go to www.koalamotorsport.com and look at Brett's complimentary repair
instructions for e36s.

John
k...

Old January 9th 05, 12:08 PM
The Malt Hound

"Brian" > wrote in message
k...
> Brian wrote:
>> We have two E36 £ Series both 1997.
>>
>> The light switch (headlights) background lighting panel has the bulb
>> gone.
>>
>> I've got the bulbs, is there anything I need to know before I undo the
>> only screw (Philips) that I can see. Does the unit just pull out after
>> the screw is out.
>>
>> My missus would not talk to me if I muck it up as everything (apart from
>> the pokey little light bulb) works at the moment.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Brian

> That should read 3 Series (323 and 328)
>
> Sorry about that.

No problem.

Look ye he

http://www.logun.org/dashlight.htm

MaltHound

Old January 11th 05, 06:34 PM
Brian

Brian wrote:
> We have two E36 £ Series both 1997.
>
> The light switch (headlights) background lighting panel has the bulb gone.
>
> I've got the bulbs, is there anything I need to know before I undo the
> only screw (Philips) that I can see. Does the unit just pull out after
> the screw is out.
>
> My missus would not talk to me if I muck it up as everything (apart from
> the pokey little light bulb) works at the moment.
>
> TIA
>
> Brian

All done now thanks. The light in my cars did not require the switch to
be dismantled from the panel. Once the cable connectors were removed,
it was easy to change the bulb.

Paticular thanks to John Yurkon for his help on email and The Malt Hound
for the piccys.

Seems like an anticlimax now, piece of doddle.

Brian

EM Warning Light A Lurker Audi 3 December 18th 04 11:16 PM
'88 Audi Coupe, Hazard light problem Slimbo Audi 3 October 13th 04 06:41 PM
S3(a3) light switch removal? Andy Audi 0 August 27th 04 04:40 PM
78 Audi 5000 Cruise Control Warning Light Problem TurboBanana Audi 2 May 25th 04 03:40 PM
Newbie question. A4 warning light. Moike Audi 1 May 20th 04 10:00 PM