'06 wrangler, lifetime warranty through chrysler questions

Old February 25th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Nathan W. Collier[_4_]

Default '06 wrangler, lifetime warranty through chrysler questions

i just got back from purchasing my '06 rubicon. in addition to buying the
jeep i also purchased a lifetime warranty from chrysler. the dealership
(briggs dodge in topeka kansas) told me that chrysler extended its current
lifetime warranty to any chrysler vehicle under 36000 miles for a fee ($5900
retail). they told me its a "bumper to bumper" warranty. i purchased the
warranty with the understanding that i have a certain number of days in
which to cancel if i change my mind. with this in mind, ive several
questions.

- i paid $4200 for the warranty. is this considered to be a "good" price?

- is this warranty worth the expense?

- dealership tells me if i EVER blow an engine i get a new engine, if i EVER
blow a tranny they rebuild it, same goes for front/rear end, or anyting
else. what am i missing in this?

- with the talk of chrysler selling jeep, would they still honor the
warranty?

- any other considerations?

thanks,
--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Old February 25th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

I would say you are missing a rebuilt engine is about $1500.00, used
tranny is a grand, used transfer case, $ 500.00, brand new disk to disk rubi
44 is $1500.00, of coarse none of this includes labor, but still, I'd be
saying that's a nice set of tires and a lift, could probably squeeze in a
winch into the $4200.00 too.

. ..

Old February 25th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_23_]

I never buy lottery tickets, but one of them is bound to be worth like 200
zillion dollars. I can live with that. What you're buying is a $4200
lottery ticket, that might wind up being worth $3000. Think about it. Then
buy something that will increase in value over time, like this.

http://tinyurl.com/296nr8

Cheers,

Earle

Old February 25th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Outatime[_4_]

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> - i paid $4200 for the warranty. is this considered to be a "good" price?

This is above-average for a lifetime powertrain warranty from what I read.

> - is this warranty worth the expense?

No. You'd be better off putting that $4200 in a savings account and draw from
it if you ever need repairs. The probability of breaking powertrain
components on a Wrangler Rubicon is next to nil, and if you do, it will likely
be contractually excluded as abuse unless you can prove it was a factory
defect of some sort.

> - dealership tells me if i EVER blow an engine i get a new engine, if i EVER
> blow a tranny they rebuild it, same goes for front/rear end, or anyting
> else. what am i missing in this?

The salesman made $2-grand when he sold you that thing, and he would tell you
just about anything to make the sale. The fine-print will tell you that they
will repair or install a rebuilt part (at their discretion) IF they determine
the damage was from a defect or normal wear-and-tear.

> - with the talk of chrysler selling jeep, would they still honor the
> warranty?

They will likely sell the warranty to a 2nd party, who will do just about
anything to avoid paying claims.

> - any other considerations?

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Consider the cancellation
carefully. Hyundai's need a warranty; Jeeps don't.

-Outatime
Wheelin'-n-Grinnin' in Central CA, USA
Old February 25th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_23_]

I'll bet you could get a pretty good snowmobile or ATV with that $4200, or
at least make the down payment. There must be lots of ways you could blow
$4200. Power tools? I like this stuff.

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/l...ion.asp?MFG=42

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/s...ffers/jimi.asp

Cheers,

Earle

Old February 25th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_3_]

Outatime > wrote:

> The salesman made $2-grand when he sold you that thing,

Wrong, the dealershop made $1,950, the salesman made $50 or so.

> and he would tell you just about anything to make the sale.

Right, or kill his grandmother or eat his children or.....

Why? Because he's a SALESMAN, that's what they do!

Off topic:

Mrs. Jones is suing a car dealership for selling her a lemon, her
attorney calls the salesman to the witness stand.

Q. State your name and occupation, please.
A. I'm Sam Johnson, I'm a used car salesman, have been for a year.

Q. And what did you do before you were a used car saleman?
A. I was a lawyer.

Q. Really? A lawyer? And why did you become a used car saleman?
A. I wanted more respect in the community....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old February 29th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Nathan W. Collier[_5_]

thanks guys. i cancelled the warranty today.

--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
http://1911Talk.com
http://GlockCarry.com
http://HiPowerTalk.com
http://p99sw99.com
http://PPStalk.com
http://P7talk.com

. 236...

Old February 29th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RSMuddog via CarKB.com

good job nathan, also, lots of these warranties are actually ran and
exercised by a third party. Not sure about yours and its details, but the
3rd party ones are bad all the way around. the dealership sells them, and
you think all is grand, till you try to cash in on a claim. then the fun
begins. Sorry, you don't have ALL of your receipts for your oil changes at
3000 miles. doesnt matter if YOU do it yourself...the list goes on...
anyone?.........

Old February 29th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Socks

>good job nathan, also, lots of these warranties are actually ran and
>exercised by a third party. Not sure about yours and its details, but the
>3rd party ones are bad all the way around. the dealership sells them, and
>you think all is grand, till you try to cash in on a claim. then the fun
>begins. Sorry, you don't have ALL of your receipts for your oil changes at
>3000 miles. doesnt matter if YOU do it yourself...the list goes on...
>anyone?.........

Exactly!
When we bought our Jeep used, I thought an extended third party
warranty was a good idea.
Followed all the parameters too the letter; had all the receipts for
all regular scheduled maintenance filed in chronological order for my
records after diligently submitting them to the company representing
the warranty.
Now we have to have the water pump replaced (After all said and done,
the Stealership's bill came to $1000.00)
And The pollicy for the extended state that you have to par up front,
and the company representing the warranty tell us that the water pump
is "Not considered" part of the "Power Train"!

First I feel like I was taken for a ride by the Chrysler Dodge Jeep
Dealer because I'm stuck in a wheelchair, then completely feel like I
got ****ed by some useless paper after hearing that garbage!

Oh well, we learn from our expensive mistakes... Never again.

Good to hear you cancelled when you did!

Cheers

Ryan