'05 GT Spinout

Old June 30th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John B.

Default '05 GT Spinout

Doing about 70 to 75 in the rain on the interstate Saturday, the rear-end of
my 2005 GT gave way and I spun out. Fortunately, I missed the right side
guardrail, but the car did a complete 180 and hit hard on the base of a rock
formation. Very hard. I thought for sure the whole right side was trashed.
I didn't want to get out to look right there, so I was able to drive out of
that mucky, grassy area, make a U-Turn and continue on my way. Slowly.

I took the next exit and found a place to pull over and check out the
damage. I was definitely expecting the worst and was almost afraid to walk
over to the other side. But there was none on that whole right side. Not
even a scratch! I did rip out the front spoiler when I got myself out of
there, but that was minor damage - considering.

Well, I got back on the highway and headed towards home. It had stopped
raining, so I picked up the speed some. Got it up to around 60, and the
steering wheel started shaking violently. Like the wheels were all out of
balance. At slower speeds, it was fine. I'm thinking I knocked something
out of whack in that right rear, but if I did, wouldn't it be obvious
driving slower as well?

When I did stop to check out the damage, I saw that the wheels were totally
caked with wet grass and mud, which I left on them. I was hoping that's
what threw the balance off. Still shaken up, I got it back to where I store
it and just parked it. I haven't looked at it since and I really don't want
to know if there's some serious damage to the rear end of the car.

Questions: Does it sound like there could be major damage? After all, that
right rear did hit pretty hard. If so, what could I have knocked out of
whack? Also, I was very surprised that the back let go like that. I had
driven the car in the rain several times and it held the road rather well.
Did I just hit a bad spot? That was some feeling when the back wheels spun,
though, as I knew that I was in for a ride - which it was for sure. I'm
just crossing my fingers that when I clean the wheels off and get that crud
out, all will be fine. Hoping, hoping!

I'll let you know what happens.

John B.

Old July 1st 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dudly

"John B." > wrote in message
> Doing about 70 to 75 in the rain on the interstate Saturday, the rear-end
> of
> my 2005 GT gave way and I spun out. Fortunately, I missed the right side
> guardrail, but the car did a complete 180 and hit hard on the base of a
> rock
> formation. Very hard. I thought for sure the whole right side was
> trashed.
> I didn't want to get out to look right there, so I was able to drive out
> of
> that mucky, grassy area, make a U-Turn and continue on my way. Slowly.
>

> I took the next exit and found a place to pull over and check out the
> damage. I was definitely expecting the worst and was almost afraid to
> walk
> over to the other side. But there was none on that whole right side. Not
> even a scratch! I did rip out the front spoiler when I got myself out of
> there, but that was minor damage - considering.
>

> Well, I got back on the highway and headed towards home. It had stopped
> raining, so I picked up the speed some. Got it up to around 60, and the
> steering wheel started shaking violently. Like the wheels were all out of
> balance. At slower speeds, it was fine. I'm thinking I knocked something
> out of whack in that right rear, but if I did, wouldn't it be obvious
> driving slower as well?
>

> When I did stop to check out the damage, I saw that the wheels were
> totally
> caked with wet grass and mud, which I left on them. I was hoping that's
> what threw the balance off. Still shaken up, I got it back to where I
> store
> it and just parked it. I haven't looked at it since and I really don't
> want
> to know if there's some serious damage to the rear end of the car.
>

> Questions: Does it sound like there could be major damage? After all,
> that
> right rear did hit pretty hard. If so, what could I have knocked out of
> whack? Also, I was very surprised that the back let go like that. I had
> driven the car in the rain several times and it held the road rather well.
> Did I just hit a bad spot? That was some feeling when the back wheels
> spun,
> though, as I knew that I was in for a ride - which it was for sure. I'm
> just crossing my fingers that when I clean the wheels off and get that
> crud
> out, all will be fine. Hoping, hoping!

run it through a car wash.
a wheel may have thrown a weight, look for missing weights, could be inside,
so get the wheels rebalanced

get some new softer tires that can handle some rain
You could have botched something up undernieth

oil can be anywhere, I once did a 180 making a slow left turn at 15 mph max,
very light rain, missed the car next to me,
a little oil and water and the back tires spun out,

-5.0 93 8# KB

Old December 25th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

When I did stop to check out the damage, I saw that the wheels were
totally caked with wet grass and mud, which I left on them. I was hoping
that's what threw the balance off.
== That was the problem (mud), when wheels get packed with mud it will
throw the balance way out... It is usually not noticed until at higher
speeds...

~J
www.StreetShowDriftDrags.com

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB