Jeep 4-tire rotation

Old July 25th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

Default Jeep 4-tire rotation

I have a first rotation coming up on my new tires. I was told when doing
a 4-tire rotation that the rear two go straight forward and the two
front go to opposite rear. So far no uneven wear or cupping. I'll have
them rebalanced also. Is this procedure correct?
--
FRH
Old July 25th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

That's the 4 wheel rotation that I use. If you have a full sized spare
on a 4wd vehicle, it's best to include the spare in the rotation. Right
rear goes to the spare, spare goes to the left front.

Prepare to hear a discussion about tire taking a "set", and needing to
always rotate the same directin. This means they stay on the same side
of the vehicle. This was the case in early radial tires (1970's) and
with racing tires. IMHO 985 of the vehicles benefit from full rotation.

Old July 25th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I strongly advise you read your owners manual to find out.

Both of my Jeeps call for a front to back rotation with no crossing. I
wear my tires out perfectly even.

If doing a 5 tire rotation, the spare goes on the main drive tire, the
right rear, with the RR going to the right front and that tire going to
the spare.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 25th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

Frank_v7.0 wrote:
> when doing a 4-tire rotation the rear two go straight forward and the two
> front go to opposite rear.

Duh! RTFM! LOL! Page 196 of my owners manual. Thanks guys. That's what
Jeep says for my '04 TJ.

--
FRH
Old July 25th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

That is the same rotation listed in the WJ manual.

Please note that some tires are directional and must always stay on the same
side of the vehicle. These tires have arrows that denote the required
direction of rotation.

Finally be sure that you torque the dry lugs evenly to 85-115 ft-lbs

Old July 25th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

This is true, but directional tires on passenger vehicles are getting to be
a thing of the past. Even my John Deere riding mower has non-directional
turf tires.

Earle

Old July 25th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

My TJ owners manual calls for a 4 tyre rotation.

Rear tyres go to front tyres, no crossing.
Front tyres go to rear tyres, with crossing.

Section 22-4 of the FSM if any one is interested.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old July 26th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mabar

Straight from the 2006 Wrangler Factory Service Manual

4-tire rotation:

right rear to right front
right front to left rear
left rear to left front
left front to right rear

In the early days of radial tires there were some problems when using this
method, but for the last 20 years or so, this has been one of the accepted
methods, and it works great. No problems running modern radial tires on
either side of the vehicle, as long as they are rotated regularly. This does
not apply to uni-directional tires, which must be kept on the same side of
the vehicle.

I personally use this 5-tire rotation pattern, and have used it for years
with good results:

spare to right rear
right rear to right front
right front to left rear
left rear to left front
left front to spare

A regular 5-tire rotation will give you about 25% more miles out of your
tires. There are many good rotation patterns, but the important thing is
that you stick with one pattern and rotate every 5 or 6000 miles. If you
change your oil every 3000 miles, then it's easy to remember to rotate every
other oil change.

Tom

Old July 26th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Mike,
That's the only way I will rotate tires, they stay on one side. Not
many years ago I replace two BFGoodrich AT KOs, and of course wanted
them on the same axle which meant reversing one of the oringinal tires
with over halt the tread left. That tire exploded with massive tread
sparatetion in less than a thousand miles.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 26th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

Frank_v7.0 wrote:
> Frank_v7.0 wrote:
>> when doing a 4-tire rotation the rear two go straight forward and the
>> two front go to opposite rear.

> Duh! RTFM! LOL! Page 196 of my owners manual. Thanks guys. That's what
> Jeep says for my '04 TJ.

Yes, this is the second oil change since the tires were mounted and they
are non-directional. I like the 4 tire rotation. No reason except it is
simple enough for even my dealer to get right. ;-) And I re-torque when
I get home. Wasn't it Ronald Reagan that said "Trust, but verify."?
:-) Thanks all!
--
FRH