trailer wiring 04 sport.

Old November 30th 04, 11:25 PM
DAVID DRUM

Default trailer wiring 04 sport.

Factory installed hitch, and wiring. Trying to wire trailer.
Factory plug has connector with 3 wires plus a larger plug.
Lights on trailer have 3 wires. Is one larger plug on factory part a
ground?

--
The facts expressed here belong to
everybody, the opinions to me. The

David

Old December 1st 04, 12:40 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi David,
Or an accessory, or brakes, there should be a diagram on the dust
cover: http://www.billhughes.com/trailerplug.jpg Six pin:
http://www.billhughes.com/6pintrailer.jpg Seven pin:
http://www.billhughes.com/7pintrailer.jpg I would buy an adapter rather
than rewire the trailer that's too large for your Jeep:
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....tegoryID=20 9
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old December 1st 04, 12:40 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Old December 1st 04, 03:43 AM
Jeff Strickland

Actually, that is an optical illusion, there are four pins that are all the
same size. That connector is commonly called a four pin flat connector. The
three pins that are protected on the vehicle are all power to the trailer
lights, the exposed pin is the ground. Of the three pins, 1 goes to the
running lights on both sides, 1 goes to the brake/turn on one side, and the
last one goes to the brake/turn on the other side. All lamps on the trailer
use a common ground.

ink.net...

Old December 1st 04, 03:43 AM
Jeff Strickland

Actually, that is an optical illusion, there are four pins that are all the
same size. That connector is commonly called a four pin flat connector. The
three pins that are protected on the vehicle are all power to the trailer
lights, the exposed pin is the ground. Of the three pins, 1 goes to the
running lights on both sides, 1 goes to the brake/turn on one side, and the
last one goes to the brake/turn on the other side. All lamps on the trailer
use a common ground.

ink.net...

Old December 1st 04, 03:45 AM
Jeff Strickland

Bill, he has the 4-pin flat connector, there is no cover. At least there is
no diagram on the cover.

Old December 1st 04, 03:45 AM
Jeff Strickland

Old December 1st 04, 06:13 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeff, David said, it was factory wiring, do you really think any auto
manufacturer would install the flat type plug connector? Only Mickey
Mouse types would use it.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 1st 04, 06:13 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Old December 1st 04, 12:56 PM
DougW

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> Jeff, David said, it was factory wiring, do you really think any auto
> manufacturer would install the flat type plug connector? Only Mickey
> Mouse types would use it.

7 pin round style is the best choice. You can always adapt it down
to four/three pin. The added advantage is the 7pin gives you 12V and
ground at the bumper, plus the ability to run an e-brake. Take an 7pin
connector and you can build a handy trouble light. Most classIII hitches
have a spot already made for the connector. Not that the 4pin won't work.