trailer wiring 04 sport.

Old December 2nd 04, 08:38 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Take a picture of where your harness has been compromised, usually
in at least two places. More than likely the tape has already unraveled
a couple of turns.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 2nd 04, 09:04 PM
Jeff Strickland

I was sitting at a traffic light waiting to get on the freeway this morning,
and the Ford Expedition in front of me clearly had two trailer connectors on
the back that looked like factory equipment. It had a cover on each, but one
was a flat 4-pin and the other looked to be either 6 or 7 pin round. No
question it was round, but the cover hid the pins, and I am not familiar
with them enough to remember the relative size of each.

"Tom Greening" > wrote in message
> Actually, I have two late model Ford trucks in my driveway that came with
> factory installed round AND flat connectors side by side. I guess that

way

Old December 2nd 04, 09:04 PM
Jeff Strickland

Old December 2nd 04, 09:09 PM
Jeff Strickland

Sorry, Bill. Factory fitment on Fords is a flat 4-pin on the smaller trucks
with a Class II hitch, and a flat 4-pin plus a round 6- o6 7-pin for the
Class III hitch. I don't know how long this has been the case, I was
suprised to find it a couple of years ago when I wanted a new truck. I was
prepared to install my own trailer light connector, but found that Fords
came with them from the factory. I am not prepared to say that every Ford
Truck comes wired for trailer lights, but the ones that come with a factory
trailer hitch are certainly wired, and the wires they get are dependent upon
the class of hitch. Class II gets the flat connector, and I saw a Class III
hitch this morning that had both a flat and a round connector.

Old December 2nd 04, 09:09 PM
Jeff Strickland

Old December 2nd 04, 09:10 PM
Jeff Strickland

Yes. And with a Class II hitch, all that is needed is lighting, and the flat
connector is prefect for that application.

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Jeff, David said, it was factory wiring, do you really think any auto
> manufacturer would install the flat type plug connector? Only Mickey
> Mouse types would use it.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
> >
> > Bill, he has the 4-pin flat connector, there is no cover. At least there

is

Old December 2nd 04, 09:10 PM
Jeff Strickland

Old December 2nd 04, 09:44 PM
Mike Romain

No, I have seen the dual systems on new vehicles too Bill, he is right,
they make them universal all in one bracket.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 2nd 04, 09:44 PM
Mike Romain