Daimler steel/plastic "alloy"

Old June 21st 05, 02:47 PM
Don Stauffer

Default Daimler steel/plastic "alloy"

Buying a new Chrysler van, and the salesman was tauting a new "alloy"
that he said Daimler developed. He called it an alloy, but the
description seems to indicate a laminate, plastic on steel. I am
assuming it is a single layer of each. He said it provides both
corrosion resistance and sound deadening.

I have never heard of such a material, though I know that they have
been putting a plastic, adhesive backed film on lower external panels
for some time. That is not new. Is there something really new now?
Old June 21st 05, 03:19 PM
yourname

Don Stauffer wrote:
> Buying a new Chrysler van, and the salesman was tauting a new "alloy"
> that he said Daimler developed. He called it an alloy, but the
> description seems to indicate a laminate, plastic on steel. I am
> assuming it is a single layer of each. He said it provides both
> corrosion resistance and sound deadening.
>
> I have never heard of such a material, though I know that they have
> been putting a plastic, adhesive backed film on lower external panels
> for some time. That is not new. Is there something really new now?

hell, lamiplate was on Lotus Sevens in 1960. Dashboards and inner side
panels.

Old June 21st 05, 04:59 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Don Stauffer" wrote: (clip) Is there something really new now?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
New? Certainly not the ability of carsalesmen.

Old June 21st 05, 10:48 PM
Richard J Kinch

Don Stauffer writes:

> I have never heard of such a material, though I know that they have
> been putting a plastic, adhesive backed film on lower external panels
> for some time.

Sounds like ... paint.
Old June 21st 05, 11:12 PM
Ed Huntress

"Don Stauffer" > wrote in message
> Buying a new Chrysler van, and the salesman was tauting a new "alloy"
> that he said Daimler developed. He called it an alloy, but the
> description seems to indicate a laminate, plastic on steel. I am
> assuming it is a single layer of each. He said it provides both
> corrosion resistance and sound deadening.
>
> I have never heard of such a material, though I know that they have
> been putting a plastic, adhesive backed film on lower external panels
> for some time. That is not new. Is there something really new now?

If it's a laminate, plastic/steel laminates of various kinds have been used
as sound-deadening materials for decades. The first time I encountered it
was when I had to write an article about a (then) new Swedish three-layer,
steel-and-viscoelastic plastic material called "Antifon." That was in 1978.

--
Ed Huntress

Old June 22nd 05, 02:40 AM

Don Stauffer wrote:

> Buying a new Chrysler van, and the salesman was
> tauting a new "alloy" that he said Daimler developed.
> He called it an alloy, but the description seems to
> indicate a laminate, plastic on steel. I am assuming
> it is a single layer of each. He said it provides
> both corrosion resistance and sound deadening.

I'm unfamiliar with it, but plastics have long been mixed with powdered
metal for extra hardness or density, an example being the body of the
original Polaroid SX-70 cameras from the early 1970s.

One rule to remember about Chrysler and American cars: They tend to be
deficient in the areas touted most by the marketing department.

Get a different van so you won't end up with the Chrysler 4-speed
automatic, which still remains one of the least reliable transmissions
made, despite all the extensive changes, including 3-4 upgrades to the
fluid. Some Chrysler vehicles have a much more reliable
Damlier-designed automatic, but I believe it's a 5-speed.

Old June 22nd 05, 05:01 AM
Hugo Schmeisser

Richard J Kinch wrote:

> Don Stauffer writes:
>
> > I have never heard of such a material, though I know that they
> > have been putting a plastic, adhesive backed film on lower external
> > panels for some time.

> Sounds like ... paint.

Sounds like the Galactic Prophylactic.
Old June 22nd 05, 05:26 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Dave Hinz wrote:

> When mine failed, I found that the "years of development" included
> changing the name of the transmission twice,

All automakers revised their transmission designations in the mid '90s to
conform to the new SAE nomenclature. This occurred ONCE, not twice.

> Maybe a Ford next time.

Right. Good luck getting increased reliability out of a Ford. For that
matter, good luck getting out alive when it catches fire.