E34 Randomly Blinking Check Engine Light

Old November 14th 06, 04:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E34 Randomly Blinking Check Engine Light

I've started to have an interesting problem with my 1992 E34. I was
driving home from the mountains and the check engine light would start
to blink randomly and incessently. I would slow down and the light
would go out. I got the 1261 code from the computer. I swapped the
relay with another and the car is running a little better than before.
Before the idle was slowly dropping and before this happened it was
idling at 650. Now Its idling at 750. But its still pulling the code
from the computer and the light is off. Anybody have any pointers on
how to fix this problem?

Old November 14th 06, 12:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Kyle and Lori Greene

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've started to have an interesting problem with my 1992 E34. I was
> driving home from the mountains and the check engine light would start
> to blink randomly and incessently. I would slow down and the light
> would go out. I got the 1261 code from the computer. I swapped the
> relay with another and the car is running a little better than before.
> Before the idle was slowly dropping and before this happened it was
> idling at 650. Now Its idling at 750. But its still pulling the code
> from the computer and the light is off. Anybody have any pointers on
> how to fix this problem?

The flashing CE light usually indicates a misfire. A fuel problem resulting
from the bad fuel pump relay that you replaced may have been causing it. As
long as the light doesn't come back on, you'll be fine. The computer stores
the codes so it may take several run cycles to get it to fall out.

Kyle.
98 740iL
01 525i

Old November 14th 06, 04:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Kyle and Lori Greene wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I've started to have an interesting problem with my 1992 E34. I was
>>driving home from the mountains and the check engine light would start
>>to blink randomly and incessently. I would slow down and the light
>>would go out. I got the 1261 code from the computer. I swapped the
>>relay with another and the car is running a little better than before.
>>Before the idle was slowly dropping and before this happened it was
>>idling at 650. Now Its idling at 750. But its still pulling the code
>>from the computer and the light is off. Anybody have any pointers on
>>how to fix this problem?
>>

> The flashing CE light usually indicates a misfire. A fuel problem resulting
> from the bad fuel pump relay that you replaced may have been causing it. As
> long as the light doesn't come back on, you'll be fine. The computer stores
> the codes so it may take several run cycles to get it to fall out.
>
> Kyle.
> 98 740iL
> 01 525i

Or you can clear the codes via the "stomp test" and see if they reoccur.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Engine_codes.htm

--
-Fred W
Old November 15th 06, 01:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

You need to find out what the code means, BUT my limited experience with my
Ford Bronco was that a sensor was failing. I bought a new sensor that sends
the code, and my troubles were gone. In my case, I needed an O2 sensor. The
O2 Sensor lives in what is perhaps the hottest place in the universe, except
for the sun itself -- it lives in the exhaust manifold before the CAT.

oups.com...

Old November 15th 06, 05:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I'm going to run the car around the block to see if that was the
problem.