upgrade to disc brakes

Old January 15th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59

Default upgrade to disc brakes

Geetings from Holland,

I'm thinking about putting discs on my '73. It's not if but when.
However I'm surfing through the RAMVA database searching for ideas.
I'm reading stuff like; using T3 rear drums or a "residual pressure valve"
and then some.
Stuff going back to the nineties..

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...10&sa=N&hl=en&

Are there new ideas on upgrades? I'm up for replacing the baljoints and tie
rods
and maybe convert to discs while I'm at it. That is, when I know what to do
along with this upgrade.

Any ideas/ pointers?

TIA
Roger

Old January 16th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

Roger
I have done a few front disc brake conversions lately and think its a
great idea. you can get the kits for around $250 USD and in a few hours
if changing tye rods and ball joints should have great stopping power.
As far as rear disk brakes its a good idea if your running a high HP
engine but for anything stock its not necessary for anything more then
bragging rights.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old January 16th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jakalope

> Are there new ideas on upgrades? I'm up for replacing the baljoints and tie
> rods
> and maybe convert to discs while I'm at it. That is, when I know what to do
> along with this upgrade.

If you are replacing ball joints and tie rods. I would say absolutely
upgrade to the disk brakes. I have no mechanical experience except for
working on my bug, and I did it with no problems, in my garage, with
basic tools. It stops like a different car. The best money I've spent
on it yet.

Have Fun,
John

Old January 16th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jakalope

Old January 16th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59

> schreef in bericht
ps.com...
> Roger
> I have done a few front disc brake conversions lately and think its a
> great idea. you can get the kits for around $250 USD and in a few hours
> if changing tye rods and ball joints should have great stopping power.
> As far as rear disk brakes its a good idea if your running a high HP
> engine but for anything stock its not necessary for anything more then
> bragging rights.
>
> Mario
> Vintage Werks resto
>
> \bug '59 wrote:
>> Geetings from Holland,
>>
>> I'm thinking about putting discs on my '73. It's not if but when.
>> However I'm surfing through the RAMVA database searching for ideas.
>> I'm reading stuff like; using T3 rear drums or a "residual pressure
>> valve"
>> and then some.
>> Stuff going back to the nineties..
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...10&sa=N&hl=en&
>>
>> Are there new ideas on upgrades? I'm up for replacing the baljoints and
>> tie
>> rods
>> and maybe convert to discs while I'm at it. That is, when I know what to
>> do
>> along with this upgrade.
>>
>> Any ideas/ pointers?
>>
>> TIA
>> Roger

So I should leave the rear as it is?
Forgot to mention that at the front I'm running 155 and at the back 195.
And lowered about an inch.

About the ball joints: how do I remove them?
Can i remove it with a puller just the way it is used on the tierods?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/S...101&sku=puller

Roger

Old January 17th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> As far as rear disk brakes its a good idea if your running a high HP
> engine but for anything stock its not necessary for anything more then
> bragging rights.

rear discs are a great addition once you go to front discs.... folks get
LAZY once they put front discs on.... the rear drums become neglected and in
time you are riding with nearly no rear brakes...

Old January 17th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59

"bug '59" > schreef in bericht
. ..
> Geetings from Holland,
>
> I'm thinking about putting discs on my '73. It's not if but when.
> However I'm surfing through the RAMVA database searching for ideas.
> I'm reading stuff like; using T3 rear drums or a "residual pressure valve"
> and then some.
> Stuff going back to the nineties..
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...10&sa=N&hl=en&
>
> Are there new ideas on upgrades? I'm up for replacing the baljoints and
> tie rods
> and maybe convert to discs while I'm at it. That is, when I know what to
> do along with this upgrade.
>
> Any ideas/ pointers?
>
> TIA
> Roger

Yesterday I bought myself a set of discs and 4 tie rod/ball joints.
Hopefully I will fix this early februari (skiing end januari)
Also I'm taking my bug to a VW 'guy' and have a look at the engine together.
Let's hope the end is in sight and I'm able to share the actual problem...

Roger