VIN problems - bought a bug

Old July 8th 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default VIN problems - bought a bug

Hello everyone, just a quick question. I think I have been ripped
off.

I just bought a 1969 bug. I wasn't thinking straight on the VINs. The
dash one was gone, so I didn't think much of it because the older
models didn't have them. I grabbed the title and made sure it matched
the chasis. (under the seat), it does. I figured this was the only
important VIN. He gave me a story of how the front apron was replaced
so the vin wasn't attached. I thought, ok just rivet it back on. No
big deal. Then now I read that would be illegal. He said the body was
never seperated from the chasis. The apron has nothing to do with
where the vin goes. I found the dash VIN in a pile of the parts (it's
missing the corner that rivets, part of it is still on the dash) . I
have both body vins. I can't understand why he removed them. It was
painted, and they do look like they go on this vehicle, as comparing
to how it was torn off the dash. I now realize that even though the
chasis vin is right with the title, that the body is in question. Is
this a big deal? I shouldn't have fallen for this. Is this any easy
fix with the DMV, or something to just let go since the chasis vin is
right.. or something to scrap and get on with life?

The title was issued in 09-09-06. I don't believe it will be hard to
get a title. I just know that besides the title, that the VIN tags
will be a problem again when selling.
All the vins have matching numbers to the title. Has anyone dealt with
this in the past?

Old July 8th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

After 38 years anything is possible.
At least you have the correct VIN on the chassis so that will probably be
enough.
Keep the other VIN plates in the car if you have problems. I am wondering
if someone makes replacement plates that you can order and then install.

I really don't think you will have problems but some states are sticklers
for these things.

Good luck and let us know what you do!
--
later,
dave

ups.com...

Old July 8th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article >,
"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:

> After 38 years anything is possible.
> At least you have the correct VIN on the chassis so that will probably be
> enough.
> Keep the other VIN plates in the car if you have problems. I am wondering
> if someone makes replacement plates that you can order and then install.
>
> I really don't think you will have problems but some states are sticklers
> for these things.
>
> Good luck and let us know what you do!
> --
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)
>
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hello everyone, just a quick question. I think I have been ripped
> > off.
> >
> > I just bought a 1969 bug. I wasn't thinking straight on the VINs. The
> > dash one was gone, so I didn't think much of it because the older
> > models didn't have them. I grabbed the title and made sure it matched
> > the chasis. (under the seat), it does. I figured this was the only
> > important VIN. He gave me a story of how the front apron was replaced
> > so the vin wasn't attached. I thought, ok just rivet it back on. No
> > big deal. Then now I read that would be illegal. He said the body was
> > never seperated from the chasis. The apron has nothing to do with
> > where the vin goes. I found the dash VIN in a pile of the parts (it's
> > missing the corner that rivets, part of it is still on the dash) . I
> > have both body vins. I can't understand why he removed them. It was
> > painted, and they do look like they go on this vehicle, as comparing
> > to how it was torn off the dash. I now realize that even though the
> > chasis vin is right with the title, that the body is in question. Is
> > this a big deal? I shouldn't have fallen for this. Is this any easy
> > fix with the DMV, or something to just let go since the chasis vin is
> > right.. or something to scrap and get on with life?
> >
> > The title was issued in 09-09-06. I don't believe it will be hard to
> > get a title. I just know that besides the title, that the VIN tags
> > will be a problem again when selling.
> > All the vins have matching numbers to the title. Has anyone dealt with
> > this in the past?

I believe the only time they really check is if a car is registered in
another state. At least that was my experience in CA.
BTW. watch out for any car that might have come from New Orleans vic.
hidden flood damage. ya know.

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.
Old July 10th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jakalope

I have the same situation, more or less. On my 71 type1, the only vin
is the one under the rear seat. With all the different mods that
people do ( I know my from clip and dash have been replaced ), I'm
not supprised at all. I registered it here in WI using the vin under
the seat (matches title) and had no issues. I'm not positive, but
lets say you built a dune buggy, or swapped the body during a
restoration using different donor cars, I'm pretty sure the actual vin
and registration must match the one on the channel under the seat.
That is the important one, the others are there more for
convience.....it would seem.

Old July 10th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Jakalope wrote:
> I have the same situation, more or less. On my 71 type1, the only vin
> is the one under the rear seat. With all the different mods that
> people do ( I know my from clip and dash have been replaced ), I'm
> not supprised at all. I registered it here in WI using the vin under
> the seat (matches title) and had no issues. I'm not positive, but
> lets say you built a dune buggy, or swapped the body during a
> restoration using different donor cars, I'm pretty sure the actual vin
> and registration must match the one on the channel under the seat.
> That is the important one, the others are there more for
> convience.....it would seem.

I know this will sound argumentative, but what the hell :-)

There are 50 states with 50 differing rules about titling autos.

In my state, the vehicle must be physically inspected and
*all* numbers must match. Any mismatch or discrepancy and
the car can't be titled as an "ordinary" vehicle and special
steps must be taken (via State Police, etc.).

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old July 10th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jakalope

> I know this will sound argumentative, but what the hell :-)
>
> There are 50 states with 50 differing rules about titling autos.
>
> In my state, the vehicle must be physically inspected and
> *all* numbers must match. Any mismatch or discrepancy and
> the car can't be titled as an "ordinary" vehicle and special
> steps must be taken (via State Police, etc.).

You are correct that it is a state thing. Here in WI, nobody ever
even looks at the car when you register it. NO inspection, zip. You
walk in to the DMV with the title, pay some tax and order the plates.
I guess the only time it could ever be questioned is if you had an
accident. The cops or insurance company would have to verify that it
is the car you say it is, using the vin. I checked with my state farm
agent, and the vin alone on the channel is all I need ("Just so it's
there and registered"). Just courious, what would a person do if they
lost the tag off the front in an accident or something, and your not
in WI . It could be a new car and you now need a special title?
Could you just order a new tag?

I don't know everything, but I'm working on it.