Slight pull after new tires and brakes.

Old July 11th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Slight pull after new tires and brakes.

1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited, brand new tires, rotors, drums, pads, RH
inner tie rod end. I had not gone 10 KM's before I noticed the brake
smell at a stoplight. The next time I slowed down for traffic it pulled
to the right slightly. I was doing about 40km per hour and just eased
the brakes on as they are new. All the work was done by a well known
and respected and certified shop and all work is under warranty. What
could be causing this, and will it dissipate over time?

Dave in Canada eh

Old July 11th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> 1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited, brand new tires, rotors, drums, pads, RH
> inner tie rod end. I had not gone 10 KM's before I noticed the brake
> smell at a stoplight. The next time I slowed down for traffic it pulled
> to the right slightly. I was doing about 40km per hour and just eased
> the brakes on as they are new. All the work was done by a well known
> and respected and certified shop and all work is under warranty. What
> could be causing this, and will it dissipate over time?
>
> Dave in Canada eh

Dave,
If they replaced that tie rod end, did they realign or check the alignment?

Since you are smelling hot brakes, and pulling, I would have them recheck
their work. There are a number of things that can cause uneven braking,
including failure to properly adjust the rear drums, uneven application or
release of calipers, etc. Collapsing brake lines are sometimes implicated.

At any rate, with that much work, you should expect the brakes to pull
down equally, and I think you should have the shop see why they aren't
doing it.

Old July 12th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
death2spam

Well I went out after dinner, and the whole issue seemed to dissapear,
Perhaps I was a little too aggresive on the brakes at one point? I will
keep a close eye on the situation, thanks for the feedback

Old July 19th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 11 Jul 2006 17:14:36 -0700, "death2spam" >
wrote:

>Well I went out after dinner, and the whole issue seemed to dissapear,
>Perhaps I was a little too aggresive on the brakes at one point? I will
>keep a close eye on the situation, thanks for the feedback

Some brake pad manufacturers eg: Bendix use a titanium coating on the
pads that helps the brakes stop easily when first installed. They
typically make a nasty acrid burning odor. The first time we used
this type of brake pad we were sufficiently alarmed that we re-checked
the whole brake job looking for a clogged brake hose or caliper
problem. We now know better and have a canned explanation in the
repair order software that we punch into the ticket when we use brake
pads with such a coating. Once the pads are seated the odor will be
gone. If the odor and pull are now gone you should have absolutely
nothing to worry about.

Don
www.donsaautomotive.com

wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > 1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited, brand new tires, rotors, drums, pads, RH
>> > inner tie rod end. I had not gone 10 KM's before I noticed the brake
>> > smell at a stoplight. The next time I slowed down for traffic it pulled
>> > to the right slightly. I was doing about 40km per hour and just eased
>> > the brakes on as they are new. All the work was done by a well known
>> > and respected and certified shop and all work is under warranty. What
>> > could be causing this, and will it dissipate over time?
>> >
>> > Dave in Canada eh

>> Dave,
>> If they replaced that tie rod end, did they realign or check the alignment?
>>
>> Since you are smelling hot brakes, and pulling, I would have them recheck
>> their work. There are a number of things that can cause uneven braking,
>> including failure to properly adjust the rear drums, uneven application or
>> release of calipers, etc. Collapsing brake lines are sometimes implicated.
>>
>> At any rate, with that much work, you should expect the brakes to pull
>> down equally, and I think you should have the shop see why they aren't
>> doing it.

what causes shaking? [email protected] VW water cooled 24 April 22nd 06 03:43 PM
Weak Brakes Drink Jeep 3 January 4th 06 10:28 PM
Mismatched tire brands [email protected] Jeep 81 December 2nd 05 10:29 AM