should I get my brakes repaired?

Old March 4th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.misc

Default should I get my brakes repaired?

Hey,
I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla with 58,000 miles. My brakes are a bit
soft, but I haven't had any scraping or other noises. But something a
bit worrisome has happened the last 3 weeks.

Maybe 1 out of every 2 times, I will pull out of my driveway, which
slopes down steeply, and while my foot is on the brake on the way
down, there will be a bit of an abrasive feel, like a grating. I am
not sure there is any noise, but I can't hear anything much inside the
car. But that lasts only for about 3 blocks, and then it doesn't
happen anymore.

Being winter in Kentucky, we have intermittent snow and rain, and I
first thought this was just wet brakes, but it happens sometimes even
when there wasn't any precipitation recently.

To make it weirder, this doesn't happen every time, like I said.
Just out of every 2 times.

Any ideas?

Also, if I take the car into Midas, should I accept any recommendation
they make, or might they try to push an official-sounding overhaul
that I don't need? I won't really know the difference between good
and bad advice. I have a good track record though: my car was 2
years old and a mechanic in a "christian" garage said I needed my
brakes tuned up (by him). That was 6 years ago and I have had no
issues until now :-)

Thanks,
Dan

Old March 5th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
Ashton Crusher

On 4 Mar 2007 08:20:32 -0800, wrote:

>Hey,
>I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla with 58,000 miles. My brakes are a bit
>soft, but I haven't had any scraping or other noises. But something a
>bit worrisome has happened the last 3 weeks.
>
>Maybe 1 out of every 2 times, I will pull out of my driveway, which
>slopes down steeply, and while my foot is on the brake on the way
>down, there will be a bit of an abrasive feel, like a grating. I am
>not sure there is any noise, but I can't hear anything much inside the
>car. But that lasts only for about 3 blocks, and then it doesn't
>happen anymore.
>
>Being winter in Kentucky, we have intermittent snow and rain, and I
>first thought this was just wet brakes, but it happens sometimes even
>when there wasn't any precipitation recently.
>
>To make it weirder, this doesn't happen every time, like I said.
>Just out of every 2 times.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Also, if I take the car into Midas, should I accept any recommendation
>they make, or might they try to push an official-sounding overhaul
>that I don't need? I won't really know the difference between good
>and bad advice. I have a good track record though: my car was 2
>years old and a mechanic in a "christian" garage said I needed my
>brakes tuned up (by him). That was 6 years ago and I have had no
>issues until now :-)
>
>Thanks,
>Dan

Midas or any of the other chain brake shops would be the last place
I'd go to have it looked at. Try and find a local independent garage
that people recommend.
Old March 6th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
*

Default Nah! Just make your horn louder......n/m