96' Cherokee Sport 4.0 How easy / involved to change the exhaustmanifold ?

Old August 16th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ndccpf1

Default 96' Cherokee Sport 4.0 How easy / involved to change the exhaustmanifold ?

I see the INTAKE manifold is mated on top.
Old August 16th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

ndccpf1 wrote:
> I see the INTAKE manifold is mated on top.

Same bolts hold on both the intake and exhaust manifolds.

It's not a hard job to do, but sometimes it gets tricky
getting the exhaust off back by the firewall.
http://revbeergoggles.com/banks/
Not a writeup, but has pictures.

For the ZJ, if you take the air filter box off it makes
getting at things a lot easier.

It's important to make sure the block is clean of any
leftover gasket material. A light scrubbing with a scotchbrite
works well. Put a smear (very light coat) of permatex ultracopper
on the block to help the new gasket seal and don't forget to
retorque the bolts after you have ran the engine for a few hours
and let it cool back down. You will also have to check the bolts
for the next couple of days.

The lower bolts are nearly impossible to get at with a torque
wrench. My suggestion is to learn about how tight they need to
get by feel with a box end wrench. They don't go that tight.

The lower collector bolts are almost always rusted. I've found
it easier to just cut the old ones off. Spray these with some
PB Blaster and let it work overnight.

Good ref.
http://www.savannajones.com/products/17601_501_07.htm
grab the pdf file.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old August 17th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ndccpf1

On Aug 16, 6:13*pm, "DougW" >
wrote:
> ndccpf1 wrote:
> > I see the INTAKE manifold is mated on top.

> Same bolts hold on both the intake and exhaust manifolds.
>
> It's not a hard job to do, but sometimes it gets tricky
> getting the exhaust off back by the firewall.http://revbeergoggles.com/banks/
> Not a writeup, but has pictures.
>
> For the ZJ, if you take the air filter box off it makes
> getting at things a lot easier.
>
> It's important to make sure the block is clean of any
> leftover gasket material. *A light scrubbing with a scotchbrite
> works well. *Put a smear (very light coat) of permatex ultracopper
> on the block to help the new gasket seal and don't forget to
> retorque the bolts after you have ran the engine for a few hours
> and let it cool back down. *You will also have to check the bolts
> for the next couple of days.
>
> The lower bolts are nearly impossible to get at with a torque
> wrench. *My suggestion is to learn about how tight they need to
> get by feel with a box end wrench. *They don't go that tight.
>
> The lower collector bolts are almost always rusted. *I've found
> it easier to just cut the old ones off. *Spray these with some
> PB Blaster and let it work overnight.
>
> Good ref.http://www.savannajones.com/products/17601_501_07.htm
> grab the pdf file.
>
> --
> -- DougW -- * 93 ZJ 4.0 * * * * * * * * * *http://revbeergoggles.com
> HESCO Supercharger * - * 300W IASCA Stereo * - * Edelbrock IAS Shocks
> Gibson Exhaust - rear DCpower - custom gauge install - Stillen Rotors
> Banks Header - and BEER, in the fridge!

Hi Doug,

Thank you a great deal for taking the time to write up the reply. This
is good information. I have worked for years (weekends) on mostly
Japanese and VW, Audi. I have stayed away from the USA trucks / cars.
It's the truck of a family friend so I may offload it to a local
mechanic.

Thanks again

Phil
2006.5 VW GTI MKV
Old August 24th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
man of machines

i took a wire feed welder to mine 7 months ago and still nice and quiet