Life expectancy of 1995 VW Golf TDI 90HP

Old September 7th 09, 11:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Wao

Default Life expectancy of 1995 VW Golf TDI 90HP

I've got this Volkswagen Golf with a TDI engine developing 90 HP which was
made circa 1995. It's got about 155,000 miles on the speedometer. That car
burns some oil but other than that it's running just fine. I figure there's
an expensive maintenance job --timing belt-- to be done in about 10,000
miles so I'd like to know if it's worth doing it or better start looking for
a replacement car. Or in other words, how many more miles I can expect to
put on this car before running into major repair bills?

Thank you in advance.

Old September 7th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Aawara Chowdhury

In >,
Wao > wrote:

> I've got this Volkswagen Golf with a TDI engine developing 90 HP which was
> made circa 1995. It's got about 155,000 miles on the speedometer. That car
> burns some oil but other than that it's running just fine. I figure there's
> an expensive maintenance job --timing belt-- to be done in about 10,000
> miles so I'd like to know if it's worth doing it or better start looking for
> a replacement car. Or in other words, how many more miles I can expect to
> put on this car before running into major repair bills?

If the rest of the car is in good shape, it'll last a good long while.
I have a Jetta TDi with 214,000 miles that I expect to keep around
for another 5 - 6 years at 10,000 miles each year.

I also have a Beetle TDi with 123,000 miles, which like your Golf,
does burn a little oil, but is otherwise in good mechanical condition.

AC
--
Email: echo 36434455860060025978157675027927670979097959886449 930P | dc
Old September 7th 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I would certainly think it would be worth a timing belt
change. I figure the car should be good for at least 300,000 miles
with regular maintenance.
Old September 8th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Wao

> ha escrit al
m...
> I would certainly think it would be worth a timing belt
> change. I figure the car should be good for at least 300,000 miles
> with regular maintenance.

Good to know, thank you!

Old September 8th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Wao

> If the rest of the car is in good shape, it'll last a good long while.
> I have a Jetta TDi with 214,000 miles that I expect to keep around
> for another 5 - 6 years at 10,000 miles each year.
>
> I also have a Beetle TDi with 123,000 miles, which like your Golf,
> does burn a little oil, but is otherwise in good mechanical condition.

It sounds like those engines are really tough, good!

Thanks for answering. I hope your cars will last a long while!
Old September 8th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Wao

> I had a 95 Passat VR6 that I put 135K on before I sold it, and the new
> owner put another 135K on it before it finally quit.

Was that VR6 a 6-cylinder gas engine?
Old September 9th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Yipes, it's still just a baby!
My '87 Golf was sold with 654,000 miles and still going. My
'86 GTI (bought new) has 250,000+ miles and still runs like a top. My
'01 TDI is at 215,000. Many VWs can make it to 300K or 400K easily.
There are three keys to long vehicle life: maintenance,
maintenance and maintenance. Keep her maintained according to the
wishes of Mother Volkswagen and you can keep her running for a long
time.

Todd
Old September 9th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In article >,
"Wao" > wrote:

> I've got this Volkswagen Golf with a TDI engine developing 90 HP which was
> made circa 1995. It's got about 155,000 miles on the speedometer... how many more miles I can expect to
> put on this car before running into major repair bills?

Expect before major repair bills?

None. Realistically; absolutely none. You are on borrowed time.

You might luck out. But...expect...

None.
Old September 9th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Steve Thompson

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Wao wrote:

>> I had a 95 Passat VR6 that I put 135K on before I sold it, and the new
>> owner put another 135K on it before it finally quit.

> Was that VR6 a 6-cylinder gas engine?

Yes, a V6 of 2.8 litres, 172 bhp. My "135K" was miles, not km.

-s