lets start the debate 2006 IS 350 vs. 330i

Old August 28th 05, 04:08 PM
AG

Default lets start the debate 2006 IS 350 vs. 330i

Old August 29th 05, 10:44 PM
bfd

OK, is the lexus out yet?

Old August 30th 05, 01:20 AM
AG

not yet. I need to buy a new car and am thinking I don't want to spring
$50k. So that leaves out the 5 series and the M35/45 (which has gotten
great reviews), so I am looking at the 330 and the IS350. What I am finding
is that the 330 is very well rated from a "fun to drive" but Lexus is much
better in terms of quality, ease of use of the electronics, etc.

oups.com...

Old August 30th 05, 01:25 AM
GRL

From the car book reports, Lexus blew it again. This time the power is
better than the Bimmer, but the handling is just not there and, again, no
manual transmission. The manual transmission is important as a sign you are
serious about sporting machinery. You will only sell a small proportion as
manuals, but it tells everybody that you are serious. It is a MUST HAVE for
a Lexus given the comfy-car image Lexus has.

The 330i is no beauty and Lexus could have batted that one out of the park
in comparison, but they didn't and went ultra-bland, again. Not a car anyone
will dream about owning.

The tepid IS250 is a disgrace, by the way. Incredible lack of power, judging
by the published 0-60 times.

Finally, I am a huge Lexus fan. We have had an LS400 for 12 years and will
get an RX330 this year. Also own a E46 330i, so I know both brands well.
Lexus needs to get some serious sporting DNA in their bloodline and the new
IS does not look like it will do it.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I strongly doubt it.

- nopcbs

Old August 30th 05, 01:40 AM
AG

I hope you are wrong also. I looked at the new 330 and drove it. It drives
great, but looks like a corolla from behind! I am going to drive the IS350
to see. It sure does have everything else well done: radio, IPOD
connection, Navagation system, etc. But I agree the magazines all say
"fast, nice to drive, but would rather drive the 3 series."

news

Old August 30th 05, 06:01 AM
Viperkiller

The answer is neither. I'd rather have the upcoming GS hybrid.
Old August 30th 05, 10:13 AM
Mark Klebanoff

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:40:15 UTC, "AG" > wrote:

> I hope you are wrong also. I looked at the new 330 and drove it. It drives
> great, but looks like a corolla from behind! I am going to drive the IS350
> to see. It sure does have everything else well done: radio, IPOD
> connection, Navagation system, etc. But I agree the magazines all say
> "fast, nice to drive, but would rather drive the 3 series."

I have an 02 manual IS, and when I was looking I test drove a 330i.
I'd rather drive the BMW, but due to reliability I'd rather own the
Lexus. That will probably carry them again, but given the looks of the
330 and the lackof a stick (plus looks) in the IS, I'm hanging on to
my car at least until the next generations come out.
Old August 30th 05, 02:29 PM
Malt_Hound

AG wrote:
> not yet. I need to buy a new car and am thinking I don't want to spring
> $50k. So that leaves out the 5 series and the M35/45 (which has gotten
> great reviews), so I am looking at the 330 and the IS350. What I am finding
> is that the 330 is very well rated from a "fun to drive" but Lexus is much
> better in terms of quality, ease of use of the electronics, etc.

Easy choice then: Do you want easy-to-use electronics or fun to drive
car. No brainer from this angle...

By the way, on the reliability front, if you buy the BMW, *all*
maintenance (including scheduled) is fully covered for the first 3 years.

--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys he
Old August 30th 05, 02:36 PM
Malt_Hound

GRL wrote:
> From the car book reports, Lexus blew it again. This time the power is
> better than the Bimmer, but the handling is just not there and, again, no
> manual transmission. The manual transmission is important as a sign you are
> serious about sporting machinery. You will only sell a small proportion as
> manuals, but it tells everybody that you are serious.

I think a pretty large percentage of 3 series BMWs are sold with
standard transmissions. But this is the type of driver that a BMW
appeals to; one who wants to be *involved*.

> It is a MUST HAVE for
> a Lexus given the comfy-car image Lexus has.
>
> The 330i is no beauty

I think the E46s looked great. The E90's I'm not quite so enamored of.

> and Lexus could have batted that one out of the park
> in comparison, but they didn't and went ultra-bland, again. Not a car anyone
> will dream about owning.
>
> The tepid IS250 is a disgrace, by the way. Incredible lack of power, judging
> by the published 0-60 times.
>
> Finally, I am a huge Lexus fan. We have had an LS400 for 12 years and will
> get an RX330 this year. Also own a E46 330i, so I know both brands well.
> Lexus needs to get some serious sporting DNA in their bloodline and the new
> IS does not look like it will do it.
>
> I sure hope I'm wrong, but I strongly doubt it.

I would tend to agree with you. But Lexus will still sell plenty to
their traditional Lexus customers. People that just want a cushy car
with a status symbol marquee.

Old August 30th 05, 03:04 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Funny that, in many countries that would be a Merc and/or possibly a BMW...

(Not all BMWs give a hard, difficult ride.)

DAS

---

[...]