opinions?

Old December 26th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default opinions?

http://trufilter.com/

I like the design. Bit on the $$ side though.

--
DougW

Old December 27th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Doug,
I was so happy when most of the cars coming though my stations came
with spin-ons.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 27th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
merrill

How expensive are these things?

Merrill

Old December 27th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

I like the idea, but the website is cumbersome. They don't understand that
we want to see PRICES. We don't to downlod a catalong. I dont want to select
'Jeep' and have to scroll through 10000 listings to find my model. I want to
select "2000" then "Jeep" then "Cherokee" then "4.0". Then I want to see how
many options with thier prices, click to 'add to basket' and click once more
to head to checkout. I do not not want to download a brochure. If it's new,
unproven, AND inconvienent, they are going to fail.

Carl

Old December 27th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

merrill wrote:
> How expensive are these things?

I found Jeggs carries them and for
my ZJ about $140

I dunno. At that price it would
take a while to pay for itself.

But then again I've had this ZJ
since 93.

--
DougW

Old December 27th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I wonder just 'why' this antique design was dropped in the first place?

They used to make oil filters like this back in my Dad's day. I'll bet
they are just plain too freaking messy to have to deal with. You know,
spin on a filter or take an hour cleaning the old one in a bucket of
solvent, hmm....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 27th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

Mike Romain wrote:
> I wonder just 'why' this antique design was dropped in the first place?
>
> They used to make oil filters like this back in my Dad's day. I'll bet
> they are just plain too freaking messy to have to deal with. You know,
> spin on a filter or take an hour cleaning the old one in a bucket of
> solvent, hmm....
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

We would park over a ditch on a quiet dirt road and crawl under the car
to change the oil. When you drained the oil the "cup" the filter element
was in was still filled with oil. You had to keep that from spilling (or
not :-). It was usually "warm" so the oil would drain completely. Then
you cleaned the cup, removed the "O" ring seal on the engine block being
sure to clean where it seated, installed the new "O"ring, and installed
the new filter element in the clean cup. Fill it up with oil and pray
you got the "O" ring installed properly. I always had extra "O" rings
just in case and an extra quart of oil to replace what you lost when you
had to install a new "O" ring. I'd drive around the block and then look
for leaks. This was in the '60s and as a college student I needed to
save all the money I could for important stuff like beer.

P.S. I love spin off filters!
--
FRH
Old December 27th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_11_]

Some people like it. They change their oil weekly just for the thrill of
dirty hands and bumping their head on the cold concrete. Me, I try to
follow the maintenance schedule like it says on Bill's web links.

Earle

Old December 27th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
merrill

Thanks Doug

I think I can buy a lot of Kralinators for that kind of money. If they
were a vertical mount I wouldn't mind. But too messy for sidewinders
like my XJs.

Merrill

DougW wrote:
> merrill wrote:
> > How expensive are these things?

> I found Jeggs carries them and for
> my ZJ about $140
>
> I dunno. At that price it would
> take a while to pay for itself.
>
> But then again I've had this ZJ
> since 93.
>
> --
> DougW

ZJ vs. XJ - General Opinions and advice wanted Les[_2_] Jeep 13 October 22nd 06 10:48 PM
YJ, dana 30+detroit opinions Greg 4x4 0 July 23rd 05 04:19 PM
Buying a new car -- looking for your learned opinions on my 3 finalists Ursula Driving 7 June 6th 05 03:57 PM
Opinions Wanted: 66 Exhaust Setup Scott Ford Mustang 2 March 11th 05 12:36 AM
Opinions of the 1988 735i ---Should I buy one?? Mark J. Amero BMW 7 November 20th 04 08:47 PM