YJ Cowl Rubber from dealer (sigh)

Old June 1st 05, 06:54 PM
brianc

Default YJ Cowl Rubber from dealer (sigh)

Found this for $32.00 online. The dealer wanted $140.00 for a strip of
rubber - no bull****!

I realize everybody knows that the dealer rips you off, but this markup
was too incredible not to pass on to you readers.

Amazing, simply freakin' amazing...

bjc

Old June 1st 05, 09:55 PM
Coasty

Yes, but it is special dealer rubber and gives you more HP.

--
Coasty
Semper Paratus

ups.com...

Old June 1st 05, 10:41 PM
DougW

Coasty did pass the time by typing:
> Yes, but it is special dealer rubber and gives you more HP.

I would hope the dealer uses a rubber with that price.

Old June 1st 05, 11:04 PM
Ruel Smith

brianc wrote:

> Found this for $32.00 online. The dealer wanted $140.00 for a strip of
> rubber - no bull****!
>
> I realize everybody knows that the dealer rips you off, but this markup
> was too incredible not to pass on to you readers.
>
> Amazing, simply freakin' amazing...

Dealership parts are the highest markup of anything you'll buy at a
dealership.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old June 2nd 05, 02:30 AM
mic canic

just so yoiu know the dealer does not set the price! jeep does and as a
dealer has to follow the guide lines

Old June 2nd 05, 02:36 AM
DougW

mic canic did pass the time by typing:
> just so yoiu know the dealer does not set the price! jeep does and as a
> dealer has to follow the guide lines

Are you sure? I have mail ordered parts from another dealer at a
substantial discount to local prices. Also on more than one occasion
asked for and got the "best price" from a local dealer. Just like
any thing at a dealership it's all in the negotiation.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:07 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

what website did you find it at? Got a Link? Also, thats true about the
negotiation with the dealer. The one I go to, I tell them My company has
an account with them but I want to pay cash. Instead of putting it on the
company account, they immediately give me a 20% discount. Go figure.......
--
Robb

Old June 2nd 05, 05:20 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Doug,
He be talking about the suggested retail price which would be in
their catalogs, or micro film, or computer program. As we all know it is
against the law to price fix, or fair trade. BUT if the dealer keeps
cutting prices, he of course could go bankrupt, or loose their
franchise. My experience with franchises, is they usually paid their
warehouse about the same as most parts shores can retail it for. Like
there were times I could have bought bootleg gasoline, during a couple
of the shortages, just how long do you think I could have kept my lease
with Chevron, if they found out?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 3rd 05, 08:35 PM
brianc

Does anybody remember the story on 60 Minutes a number of years ago?
It was a piece about parts pricing at dealerships and such. They took
a stock Ford Escort (not the most expensive ride around) and priced
every single part necessary to actually build one from the ground up.
After adding it all up, it cost over $250,000.00 to build the whole
car... Even with a 20% company discount, it's still insane.

bjc

Old June 3rd 05, 10:09 PM
Robb S via CarKB.com

I totally agree.. even with a 20% discount, Its not even close to what I
would pay if its offered aftermarket...
--
Robb