Coolant leak

Old June 30th 11, 06:31 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Virgil2U

Default Coolant leak

I just bought a used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with a 3.3 v6 engine and it has a coolant leak that I can not find. I can put water in the radiator and see it go down but I do not see anything on the ground. Also the coolant resovoir or bottle does not move coolant into the engine when it is hot and over heated. I have checked the engine oil for water and their is none. The check enigin light also stays on all the time as well. Also it seems that the blower motor works sometimes. I also do not see any water coming out of the tailpipe as well and no white smoke either.

I would appreciate any help and advice any one can give me.

Thanks.

Old June 30th 11, 10:34 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
NotMe

"Virgil2U" > wrote in message
b.com...
>I just bought a used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with a 3.3 v6 engine
>and it has a coolant leak that I can not find. I can put water in the
>radiator and see it go down but I do not see anything on the ground. Also
>the coolant resovoir or bottle does not move coolant into the engine when
>it is hot and over heated. I have checked the engine oil for water and
>their is none. The check enigin light also stays on all the time as well.
>Also it seems that the blower motor works sometimes. I also do not see any
>water coming out of the tailpipe as well and no white smoke either.
>
> I would appreciate any help and advice any one can give me.

have you run a pressure test on the system?

Old June 30th 11, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Bob F

Virgil2U wrote:
> I just bought a used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with a 3.3 v6
> engine and it has a coolant leak that I can not find. I can put
> water in the radiator and see it go down but I do not see anything on
> the ground. Also the coolant resovoir or bottle does not move
> coolant into the engine when it is hot and over heated. I have
> checked the engine oil for water and their is none. The check
> enigin light also stays on all the time as well. Also it seems that
> the blower motor works sometimes. I also do not see any water coming
> out of the tailpipe as well and no white smoke either.
>
> I would appreciate any help and advice any one can give me.

The coolant reservoir moves water to the engine as it cools after being hot (not
when it is hot), unless there is a leak in the hose to it from the engine, or a
leak in the cooling system that allows air to leak in. As the engine cools,
steam in the system condenses, forming a vacuum which draws in the water.

Old July 1st 11, 03:02 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 04:34:26 -0500, "NotMe" > wrote:

>"Virgil2U" > wrote in message
eb.com...
>>I just bought a used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with a 3.3 v6 engine
>>and it has a coolant leak that I can not find. I can put water in the
>>radiator and see it go down but I do not see anything on the ground. Also
>>the coolant resovoir or bottle does not move coolant into the engine when
>>it is hot and over heated. I have checked the engine oil for water and
>>their is none. The check enigin light also stays on all the time as well.
>>Also it seems that the blower motor works sometimes. I also do not see any
>>water coming out of the tailpipe as well and no white smoke either.
>>
>> I would appreciate any help and advice any one can give me.

>have you run a pressure test on the system?

The pressure CAP should also be tested.
Likely a "vapour phase" leak - where it basically only leaks when hot
and under pressure, so no obvious drips. Lokk for stains the colour of
the antifreeze (yellow, pink, or blue, depending what is in the rad )
or rust.

Very possibly a bad water pump - or POSSIBLY just a bad cap.

Coolant Leak The Wolf Ford Explorer 0 January 3rd 11 09:18 PM
Solved Coolant Leak - Bar's Leak Explorer1994 4.0L Ford Explorer 3 November 16th 07 01:54 AM
coolant leak [email protected] Honda 8 June 25th 06 01:32 AM
88 C4 Coolant Leak Vette88 Corvette 2 April 18th 06 01:36 AM
Coolant Leak. On & Off Richard Ford Mustang 3 August 8th 05 03:57 PM