88 C4 Coolant Leak

Old April 17th 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 88 C4 Coolant Leak

Spring is here and I brought the 'vette out after her winter storage. I'm
the 2nd owner having acquired it summer '90 which now has 180,000 Km /
110,000 miles on this auto coupe with the Z49 option.

First thing I noticed was a very slight fluid leak under the car that
appears to be coolant dripping off the oil pan.

Second thing I noticed was the DIC telling me I had LOW COOLANT that was ON
/ OFF - mostly ON. Last time I noticed this symptom was years ago and only
when driving through the New England mountains.

Checked the rad level and overflow tank - rad good, overflow way down - and
no oil that I could see. Checked the underside of the oil filler cap & the
PCV valve - everything looks clean and no sludge. Can't see any obvious
leaking points checking the block, hoses, rad, etc. No signs of
contamination in oil -- not off-white / creamy.

Am I looking at the initial / middle / final stages of an intake gasket leak
i.e. coolant leaking into the engine ? If so anyone able to advise on any
long term engine damage ?

She'll stay garaged until I can schedule some shop time.

Old April 17th 06, 11:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Vette88 wrote:
> Spring is here and I brought the 'vette out after her winter storage. I'm
> the 2nd owner having acquired it summer '90 which now has 180,000 Km /
> 110,000 miles on this auto coupe with the Z49 option.
>
> First thing I noticed was a very slight fluid leak under the car that
> appears to be coolant dripping off the oil pan.
>
> Second thing I noticed was the DIC telling me I had LOW COOLANT that was ON
> / OFF - mostly ON. Last time I noticed this symptom was years ago and only
> when driving through the New England mountains.
>
> Checked the rad level and overflow tank - rad good, overflow way down - and
> no oil that I could see. Checked the underside of the oil filler cap & the
> PCV valve - everything looks clean and no sludge. Can't see any obvious
> leaking points checking the block, hoses, rad, etc. No signs of
> contamination in oil -- not off-white / creamy.
>
> Am I looking at the initial / middle / final stages of an intake gasket leak
> i.e. coolant leaking into the engine ? If so anyone able to advise on any
> long term engine damage ?
>
> She'll stay garaged until I can schedule some shop time.

Not to put a damper on an otherwise great wrench-bending session but,
how about a pin-hole leak in the upper (left side) radiator hose?

--PJ
'89 HookerCar, '02 e-blu 6-spd coupe
Old April 18th 06, 01:36 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Hope it didn't freeze in your storage!