ticking noise in reverse gear increases with speed in engine rpm

Old October 15th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jsanders

Default ticking noise in reverse gear increases with speed in engine rpm

89 lebaron 2.5 turbo 3 speed

problem is only in reverse gear. as you accelerate the engine, there is
a ticking noise, and it gets louder and quicker as the rpms go up. take
ur foot off the gas and they kinda go away. not related to vehicle
speed, just engine speed.

what could it be? reverse gear cogs? how easy to fix?

Old October 17th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jsanders

anyone here?

Old October 17th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 16 Oct 2006 17:46:45 -0700, "jsanders" >
wrote:

>anyone here?
>jsanders wrote:
>> 89 lebaron 2.5 turbo 3 speed
>>
>> problem is only in reverse gear. as you accelerate the engine, there is
>> a ticking noise, and it gets louder and quicker as the rpms go up. take
>> ur foot off the gas and they kinda go away. not related to vehicle
>> speed, just engine speed.
>>
>> what could it be? reverse gear cogs? how easy to fix? <snip>

In reverse gear only? Weird. It can't the the reverse gear train,
sicne it 1.) varies with engine speed, not drive shaft speed, and 2.)
any mechanical failure like that would more than likely (but not
always) be apparant somewhat in all driving modes.

What strikes me here is that torque on the engine/transaxle is
reversed when in reverse gear, and there maybe something, due to slack
in motor/trans mounts, that's scraping, like a drive belt or pully. I
remember this was exactly the case on a few K-cars back in their
day...put it in reverse, and the alternator drive pully would scrape
the plastic splash shield underneath. Never heard it in drive or
neutral. Replacing a motor mount cured the problem. Two things I
remember about the '84 K-car fleet we had...motor mounts going bad,
and bad rubber bushings on the alternator mount.

What I'd do is have someone behind the wheel put the car in reverse
with the service brake on, and then start tracking the noise under the
hood with a tube or hose. Don't think for a second that just because
you poke your head under the hoot and is sounds somewhat like it's
coming fromt he transaxle that it's really the transaxle. Noises like
this will bounce around off of various surfaces and be somewhat tricky
to track down.
Old October 19th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

DeserTBoB wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2006 17:46:45 -0700, "jsanders" >
> wrote:
>
> >anyone here?
> >jsanders wrote:
> >> 89 lebaron 2.5 turbo 3 speed
> >>
> >> problem is only in reverse gear. as you accelerate the engine, there is
> >> a ticking noise, and it gets louder and quicker as the rpms go up. take
> >> ur foot off the gas and they kinda go away. not related to vehicle
> >> speed, just engine speed.
> >>
> >> what could it be? reverse gear cogs? how easy to fix? <snip>

> In reverse gear only? Weird. It can't the the reverse gear train,
> sicne it 1.) varies with engine speed, not drive shaft speed, and 2.)
> any mechanical failure like that would more than likely (but not
> always) be apparant somewhat in all driving modes.
>
> What strikes me here is that torque on the engine/transaxle is
> reversed when in reverse gear, and there maybe something, due to slack
> in motor/trans mounts, that's scraping, like a drive belt or pully. I
> remember this was exactly the case on a few K-cars back in their
> day...put it in reverse, and the alternator drive pully would scrape
> the plastic splash shield underneath. Never heard it in drive or
> neutral. Replacing a motor mount cured the problem. Two things I
> remember about the '84 K-car fleet we had...motor mounts going bad,
> and bad rubber bushings on the alternator mount.
>
> What I'd do is have someone behind the wheel put the car in reverse
> with the service brake on, and then start tracking the noise under the
> hood with a tube or hose. Don't think for a second that just because
> you poke your head under the hoot and is sounds somewhat like it's
> coming fromt he transaxle that it's really the transaxle. Noises like
> this will bounce around off of various surfaces and be somewhat tricky
> to track down.

there he goes, another "take the whole engine apart when all it needs
is a thermostat" wannabee mechanic tech advice post...

you drive a 1978 Honda- if you had any brains as a mechanic, you'd
never drive that POS in the first place !

(laughter...)

Old October 20th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jsanders

even if i put the service brake on, u can't hear it till you
accelerate. if it idles in reverse its ok.

funny thing, in reverse yesterday, it didn't start doing it till i
travelled about 30 ft, then it came back

Old October 20th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 19 Oct 2006 16:42:49 -0700, "jsanders" >
wrote:

>even if i put the service brake on, u can't hear it till you
>accelerate. if it idles in reverse its ok. <snip>

Do you mean you had the car braked and revved up the engine and
reverse and it started making noise again? If so, check those motor
and tranny mounts.
Old October 20th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

DeserTBoB wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2006 16:42:49 -0700, "jsanders" >
> wrote:
>
> >even if i put the service brake on, u can't hear it till you
> >accelerate. if it idles in reverse its ok. <snip>

> Do you mean you had the car braked and revved up the engine and
> reverse and it started making noise again? If so, check those motor
> and tranny mounts.

take a hint, Boob- you posted twice, and got no replies save for troll
warnings about yourself- take a hike- get back in the freezer, liberal
scumbag...

or should I say, get back in your Honda ??