HIgh Oil Pressure

Old October 7th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default HIgh Oil Pressure

I have a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick. I had the engine rebuilt. They put the
timing gear off by aone tooth so it was pinging under power. I moved so
I took it to a new mecanic to fix it. He fixed that, but ever since
then the oil pressure stays between 90 and 100 psi. I put a new gauge
in, same result. Before the timing gear repair the pressure was around
30 to 40 psi.

What is wrong?

Old October 7th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Knifeblade_03[_52_]

Just by chance, did they put in a high-pressure pump, or rebuild the oil
pump?

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old October 7th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lawrence Glickman

On 7 Oct 2006 11:57:22 -0700, wrote:

>I have a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick. I had the engine rebuilt. They put the
>timing gear off by aone tooth so it was pinging under power. I moved so
>I took it to a new mecanic to fix it. He fixed that, but ever since
>then the oil pressure stays between 90 and 100 psi. I put a new gauge
>in, same result. Before the timing gear repair the pressure was around
>30 to 40 psi.
>
>What is wrong?

Nobody without magic vision can tell you what IS wrong...
that said
probably a constriction somewhere. Like a bent/kinked oil line going
to the engine head. Check for that. Also...there is supposed to be a
check valve on some oil pumps that is spring-loaded. If the pressure
gets too high, the check valve opens enough to lower it.

You could have a *spun bearing*
You could have a constriction in the oil galleries
you could have oil with too high a viscosity
you could have a defective oil pressure sending unit
you could have a clogged/blocked oil filter

Nobody knows what IS wrong, because we can't examine the engine.

If you can remove your rocker covers and look at the engine, they
should be getting a good dose of oil. This is messy on a slant
engine, but if everything is OK, your problem will be abrasive sand
blasting as contaminants in the oil wear away engine parts under high
pressure flow.

OTOH, at 3k rpm, 50 psi is OK. At idle, with hot oil, 15 psi is OK.
You may have a spun bearing though, which is serious. But before you
panic, look to see you have the correct viscosity oil, and no kinked
or bent oil lines going to the engine head.

Lg

Old October 7th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 14:37:47 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
> wrote:

>On 7 Oct 2006 11:57:22 -0700, wrote:
>
>>I have a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick. I had the engine rebuilt.

Now he has a better bearing fit and higher oil pressure. Probably not
a problem at all. Normal for this vehicle is 47-61 @ 4000 RPM so it
was a little low before.

> They put the
>>timing gear off by aone tooth so it was pinging under power. I moved so
>>I took it to a new mecanic to fix it. He fixed that, but ever since
>>then the oil pressure stays between 90 and 100 psi. I put a new gauge
>>in, same result. Before the timing gear repair the pressure was around
>>30 to 40 psi.
>>
>>What is wrong?

>Nobody without magic vision can tell you what IS wrong...
>that said
>probably a constriction somewhere. Like a bent/kinked oil line going
>to the engine head. Check for that. Also...there is supposed to be a
>check valve on some oil pumps that is spring-loaded.

They may have shimmed that spring. Not necessary but not really a
problem.

> If the pressure
>gets too high, the check valve opens enough to lower it.
>
>You could have a *spun bearing*

Causes LOW oil pressure.

>You could have a constriction in the oil galleries
>you could have oil with too high a viscosity

WAY too high to go from 30-40 up to 90-100!!

>you could have a defective oil pressure sending unit

Yes

>you could have a clogged/blocked oil filter

Would cause a LOW oil pressure reading. On every engine I have seen
the oil pressure sender is AFTER the oil filter.

>Nobody knows what IS wrong, because we can't examine the engine.
>
>If you can remove your rocker covers and look at the engine, they
>should be getting a good dose of oil. This is messy on a slant
>engine, but if everything is OK, your problem will be abrasive sand
>blasting

Huh?? Where does the sand come from?

> as contaminants in the oil wear away engine parts under high
>pressure flow.
>
>OTOH, at 3k rpm, 50 psi is OK. At idle, with hot oil, 15 psi is OK.
>You may have a spun bearing though, which is serious. But before you
>panic, look to see you have the correct viscosity oil, and no kinked
>or bent oil lines

There are no such oil lines on this engine. All passages are drilled
in the head and block.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old October 7th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lawrence Glickman

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 15:46:11 -0500, Don
> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 14:37:47 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
> wrote:
>
>>On 7 Oct 2006 11:57:22 -0700, wrote:
>>
>>>I have a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick. I had the engine rebuilt.

>Now he has a better bearing fit and higher oil pressure. Probably not
>a problem at all. Normal for this vehicle is 47-61 @ 4000 RPM so it
>was a little low before.
>
>> They put the
>>>timing gear off by aone tooth so it was pinging under power. I moved so
>>>I took it to a new mecanic to fix it. He fixed that, but ever since
>>>then the oil pressure stays between 90 and 100 psi. I put a new gauge
>>>in, same result. Before the timing gear repair the pressure was around
>>>30 to 40 psi.
>>>
>>>What is wrong?

>>Nobody without magic vision can tell you what IS wrong...
>>that said
>>probably a constriction somewhere. Like a bent/kinked oil line going
>>to the engine head. Check for that. Also...there is supposed to be a
>>check valve on some oil pumps that is spring-loaded.

>They may have shimmed that spring. Not necessary but not really a
>problem.
>
>> If the pressure
>>gets too high, the check valve opens enough to lower it.
>>
>>You could have a *spun bearing*

>Causes LOW oil pressure.
>
>>You could have a constriction in the oil galleries
>>you could have oil with too high a viscosity

>WAY too high to go from 30-40 up to 90-100!!
>

>>you could have a defective oil pressure sending unit

>Yes
>
>>you could have a clogged/blocked oil filter

>Would cause a LOW oil pressure reading. On every engine I have seen
>the oil pressure sender is AFTER the oil filter.
>>
>>Nobody knows what IS wrong, because we can't examine the engine.
>>
>>If you can remove your rocker covers and look at the engine, they
>>should be getting a good dose of oil. This is messy on a slant
>>engine, but if everything is OK, your problem will be abrasive sand
>>blasting

>Huh?? Where does the sand come from?
>
>> as contaminants in the oil wear away engine parts under high
>>pressure flow.

Right here ^

>>OTOH, at 3k rpm, 50 psi is OK. At idle, with hot oil, 15 psi is OK.
>>You may have a spun bearing though, which is serious. But before you
>>panic, look to see you have the correct viscosity oil, and no kinked
>>or bent oil lines

>There are no such oil lines on this engine. All passages are drilled
>in the head and block.

Lucky him.

So...you think 100 psi is OK for an oil pressure?

Old October 8th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 15:52:30 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 15:46:11 -0500, Don
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 14:37:47 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
> wrote:

>>Now he has a better bearing fit and higher oil pressure. Probably not
>>a problem at all. Normal for this vehicle is 47-61 @ 4000 RPM so it
>>was a little low before.
>>
>>> They put the

>>>Nobody without magic vision can tell you what IS wrong...
>>>that said
>>>probably a constriction somewhere. Like a bent/kinked oil line going
>>>to the engine head. Check for that. Also...there is supposed to be a
>>>check valve on some oil pumps that is spring-loaded.

>>They may have shimmed that spring. Not necessary but not really a
>>problem.
>>
>>> If the pressure
>>>gets too high, the check valve opens enough to lower it.
>>>
>>>You could have a *spun bearing*

>>Causes LOW oil pressure.
>>
>>>You could have a constriction in the oil galleries
>>>you could have oil with too high a viscosity

>>WAY too high to go from 30-40 up to 90-100!!
>>

>>>you could have a defective oil pressure sending unit

>>Yes
>>
>>>you could have a clogged/blocked oil filter

>>Would cause a LOW oil pressure reading. On every engine I have seen
>>the oil pressure sender is AFTER the oil filter.
>>>
>>>Nobody knows what IS wrong, because we can't examine the engine.
>>>
>>>If you can remove your rocker covers and look at the engine, they
>>>should be getting a good dose of oil. This is messy on a slant
>>>engine, but if everything is OK, your problem will be abrasive sand
>>>blasting

>================================================= ==========
>>Huh?? Where does the sand come from?
>>
>>> as contaminants in the oil wear away engine parts under high
>>>pressure flow.

>Right here ^
>

>>>OTOH, at 3k rpm, 50 psi is OK. At idle, with hot oil, 15 psi is OK.
>>>You may have a spun bearing though, which is serious. But before you
>>>panic, look to see you have the correct viscosity oil, and no kinked
>>>or bent oil lines

>>There are no such oil lines on this engine. All passages are drilled
>>in the head and block.

>Lucky him.
>
>So...you think 100 psi is OK for an oil pressure?

We have sometimes had race engines run that high. It doesn't serve
any purpose however. I wouldn't worry about until I opened my Snap-On
kit and checked it with a real gauge on it. Asian oil pressure gauges
are typically accurate to +- 50%.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com