Headers?

Old February 14th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gerald

Default Headers?

I am getting an engine rebuilt for a 92 5.0
Should I get headers put on ?

I has a blower on it 6#

Old February 14th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Gerald wrote:
> I am getting an engine rebuilt for a 92 5.0
> Should I get headers put on ?
>
> I has a blower on it 6#

Yes. Long tube. And a good system behind that.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old February 14th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gerald

".boB" > wrote in message
. com...
> Gerald wrote:
>> I am getting an engine rebuilt for a 92 5.0
>> Should I get headers put on ?
>>
>> I has a blower on it 6#

> Yes. Long tube. And a good system behind that.

needs to be a daily driver so it needs the cats and the O2 sensors to pass
inspection, can long tubes do that or do long tubes go to muffler, or to H
pipe ?

Old February 14th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Gerald wrote:
> I am getting an engine rebuilt for a 92 5.0
> Should I get headers put on ?
>
> I has a blower on it 6#

Absolutely. Especially with a blower installed. I have a set of the
ceramic FRPP shorty headers that I have been very pleased with. The
ceramic coating will keep a good bit of heat out of the engine bay which
never hurts for a blown engine and it looks good too. Also, the FRPP
headers are very reasonably priced.
Old February 14th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Feb 13, 6:37 pm, ".boB" > wrote:
> Gerald wrote:
> > I am getting an engine rebuilt for a 92 5.0
> > Should I get headers put on ?

> > I has a blower on it 6#

> Yes. Long tube. And a good system behind that.

boB,

The scavenging long tubes promote will be of little use for a blown
engine. A blower makes the motor more of a push system, does it
not?

In this case, money would be better spent on a nice set of ceramic-
coated shorties to help keep heat out of the engine compartment and
away from the blower.

Patrick

Old February 14th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

..boB wrote:
> wrote:

>>> Yes. Long tube. And a good system behind that.

>> boB,
>>
>> The scavenging long tubes promote will be of little use for a blown
>> engine. A blower makes the motor more of a push system, does it
>> not?
>>
>> In this case, money would be better spent on a nice set of ceramic-
>> coated shorties to help keep heat out of the engine compartment and
>> away from the blower.
>>
>> Patrick
>>

> Generally speaking, long tube assist with high flow (high rpm's,
> forced induction). And short tubes assist with low flow (low rpm's,
> otherwise stock motors).
> Will short tubes work? Sure they will, and it will be a big jump
> over stock. Pick your poison. They are both kinda expensive, and a
> pain in the neck to install.
> It's also very important to have a quality exhaust system behind
> whichever headers you decide on. There are a few marketed with cats to
> be smog legal.

I agree that long tubes will give better performance but not enough to
deal with the installation headaches, IMO.
Old February 15th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_1_]

Michael Johnson wrote:
> .boB wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> boB,
>>>
>>> The scavenging long tubes promote will be of little use for a blown
>>> engine. A blower makes the motor more of a push system, does it
>>> not?
>>>
>>> In this case, money would be better spent on a nice set of ceramic-
>>> coated shorties to help keep heat out of the engine compartment and
>>> away from the blower.
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>>

>> Generally speaking, long tube assist with high flow (high rpm's,
>> forced induction). And short tubes assist with low flow (low rpm's,
>> otherwise stock motors).
>> Will short tubes work? Sure they will, and it will be a big jump
>> over stock. Pick your poison. They are both kinda expensive, and a
>> pain in the neck to install.
>> It's also very important to have a quality exhaust system behind
>> whichever headers you decide on. There are a few marketed with cats
>> to be smog legal.

> I agree that long tubes will give better performance but not enough to
> deal with the installation headaches, IMO.

I'll second that. I have FMS ceramic coated shorties on my blown Mustang
and I NEVER wish for long tubes as I'm driving cautiously down the road.
:-)
P.S.Don't LT's create a ground clearance issue?

Old February 15th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

GILL wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> .boB wrote:

>>> Generally speaking, long tube assist with high flow (high rpm's,
>>> forced induction). And short tubes assist with low flow (low rpm's,
>>> otherwise stock motors).
>>> Will short tubes work? Sure they will, and it will be a big jump
>>> over stock. Pick your poison. They are both kinda expensive, and a
>>> pain in the neck to install.
>>> It's also very important to have a quality exhaust system behind
>>> whichever headers you decide on. There are a few marketed with cats
>>> to be smog legal.

>> I agree that long tubes will give better performance but not enough to
>> deal with the installation headaches, IMO.

> I'll second that. I have FMS ceramic coated shorties on my blown Mustang
> and I NEVER wish for long tubes as I'm driving cautiously down the road.
> :-)
> P.S.Don't LT's create a ground clearance issue?

They can. LTs are a pain to install. They also limit the use of after
market H-pipes and many don't come with cats. Plus with a blower
installed on his car I don't think the probable 5-10 hp gained will be
missed much.
Old February 23rd 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_1_]

There is a very good header article in one of the stock car mags this month.
If you're interested I'll dig it up and let you know the name. Most of the
article is aimed at the small block Chevy, but it's all relevant. They do
dyno tests with different length and different tube size headers. Very
informative.

Al

headers for 1965 6 cyl 200 cu in Richard Catrambone Ford Mustang 4 February 9th 07 02:15 AM
Headers Unknown User Chrysler 21 October 6th 05 01:12 AM
Headers Troy Jeep 67 October 3rd 05 10:14 PM
Where can you get C4 headers?!? Bones3010 Corvette 3 March 14th 05 03:35 PM
Please check your headers! btgoss Simulators 0 December 31st 04 02:07 AM