Finetuning the FFB

Old January 14th 13, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default Finetuning the FFB

Ok, it looks like I've found the secret.
First you put everytnig on the default (of course you uncheck "Allow
game to adjust settings", and you put wheel radius at 900), this means
everything on 100% in Logitech drivers. Good thing is, this works even with
un-natural FOV, and with un-natural screen height. It looks like unlinear
FFB affects those things, but liner FFB is alright with everything.
Then you finetune the FFB (for slack). This you do with in-game
sliders. Rookie Chevrolet Impala is good for this. On my system I don't have
to move those sliders much from max position. My FFB is finetuned with
settings 39.2/95.
Then you correct for Centering Spring. On my system this should be
somewhere around 20%, but I didn't finish this yet, so I don't know exactly.
I'll do this tomorow.
I noticed that even finetuned FFB, like, has too much damping and
spring in it, so this you probably correct with Logitech driver's sliders.

Old January 17th 13, 08:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Michael R Sisson:
:
> Ok, it looks like I've found the secret.

I can't believe iRacing banned you from their forums and didn't hire you
as head FFB tester.

Thanks.
Although I don't know when somebody tries to be sarcastic or not.
I've been through so much bad times with this, everybody, I mean really
everybody ****ed on me, and iRacing backed up that ****ing pretty openly.
Actually, iRacing was the main problem here.
First, I don't know if you managed to do something with reading this
post of mine. There are some preliminary problems. First you have to
calibrate wheel properly. Turn off your virus protection, use Logitech
profiler, calibrate wheel so that the middle is at 8191, and left is exactly
900 (for 900 setting in Logitech driver), turn on linearity, before you
calibrate you have to work all axels few times, uncheck "Allow game to
adjust settings". You have to calibrate all axels every time you turn on
computer (from cold start). I believe that is all.
I had problems with Papyrus (the company that iRacing came from)
since the days of Nascar 2002. They have "their own" system of dealing with
FFB. I don't know where from this system is coming, but it includes not
using the damper. Because they got the impression that damper is "canned".
Obviously, they heavily rely on unlinearity, because they think that this
boosts up the tiny forces, or something. They generally boost up everything.
Dealing with unlinearity was a big problem for me, since
unlinearity, probably because of the very nature of unlinearity, changes the
way FFB is working with the change of FOV. This is probably just because of
the nature of linearity, nothing else, and it clearly shows why unlinearity
is not good.
This is such a simple thinking, and the guy that is responsible for
FFB in iRacing just doesn't do his job properly. This is thinking very
fastly, and very wrongly. In a fast race to achieve, I don't know what. You
first have to put basics right, then you have to build on it. The
foundations have to be right.
Paradoxally, everything else in this company is just right. They
have very clean graphics, excellent network code, excellent approach to
simulation, excellent organization of races. Only FFB approach is all wrong.
To make things worse, for who knows which reason, they are actively blocking
any other approach to FFB (or at least, this was the case untill now). I
mean, FFB isn't their product, they don't know nothing about it, yet they
push only their wrong approach. They had problems with this in the past,
when they dissabled damper in N2002, this was the last thing they did,
because they ceased operation after this. With iRacing, when they dissabled
damper, it lasted for only one day, presumably the response of customers was
very negative, and the very next dat they turned damper back on, and
appologized to people. Why, oh why, what is the reason they are doing this,
I simply cannot understand.
I am reasearching FFB for the last 10 years (ok, I had a brake for 5
years), and it looks like my problem was that I used only their products for
this. Because of unlinearity, which is very bad thing, I couldn't make any
progress. I knew that something is wrong, and that there should be the way
to make it right, only I couldn't do this with unlinear FFB. It was me who
discovered that something is unlinear, on this very news group. In the next
build iRacing allowed linearity. Since then things went better. But again
there was a problem. The slack. Obviously, you get rid of slack by adjusting
in-game Strength and Damper, but iRacing had locked Damper. The slack was my
main problem, and I couldn't get rid of it with locked Damper. And since
they unlocked it, I finally could fix that. Now everything is alright, but I
still didn't have time yesterday to find the right Centering Spring. To be
absolutely sure I will have to test all 150 positions (this is the way I am
working, you simply have to be sure). This month I will probably finish all
this.

Old January 17th 13, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
Then you correct for Centering Spring.

Oh yes, don't check Centering Spring while doing that, Centering
Spring works unchecked.
Interestingly, Ade Allen, who made Real Feel for rFactor doesn't
know that (or at least didn't know when I spoke with him). Just few days ago
one guy showed me new voodoo that is going on on iRacing's forum. Well, look
at that, now they are using Damper, who would say so. I thought that Damper
is canned.
BTW, the reason iRacing banned me is because I advocated the use of
Damper. Well, look at that, the same people who insisted that I'll be put
away, now they are using Damper.
Also, this was a few pages of voodoo about how to adjust FFB, with
some "advanced" techniques, lol. But still, they didn't mention one of the
most important things, the Centering Spring. They know everything about FFB,
but STILL they are not aware of the fact that Centering Spring works if
unchecked. They wrote few pages of text about adjusting FFB, but not a
single word about Centering Spring. My god. And I wrote about it on iRacing
forum, everybody interested SHOULD know about it, and yet, they are
completly blind about it.
UNBELIEVABLE.

Old January 23rd 13, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
[...]

Ok, where am I now.
I didn't have to test all 150 positions of Centering Spring, since
it looked pretty clear that 6% is the right setting. But now it turned out
that in-game Damper of 95% is too high (95% I determinet when Centering
Spring was at 100%). I am wondering how much I'll have to go down with it.
Now I am somewhere around 80%.
With this setting things look pretty good. With a difficult Cadillac
car I am pretty fast. Things look good.
Interestingly, even with Centering Spring at 6%, in-game Strength
proved to be 39.2. That's good.

Old January 26th 13, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

I haven't figured out why I bother to keep Free Agent News Reader
active and keep looking at newsgroups when in reality they died with
Compuserve when web sites stated popping up. It's people like Mario! I
seem to have this inherent need to nurture the mentally defiecient
sector of the populace and if we were to close down uselessnet I
wouldn't have this small sector of absolutely insane entertainment!

So Mario, you keep on posting and keep re.auto.simulators running
because some of us never want tot let go of the past. Thanks!

Your buddy forever,
Gary

Old January 26th 13, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Yes, thanks Gary.
It turned out that good old usenet remains the only free forum on
the Internet, accessible to everybody. Internet was assembled with freedom
in mind, but it looks like only usenet remained free.

GaryR:
I haven't figured out why I bother to keep Free Agent News Reader
active and keep looking at newsgroups when in reality they died with
Compuserve when web sites stated popping up. It's people like Mario! I
seem to have this inherent need to nurture the mentally defiecient
sector of the populace and if we were to close down uselessnet I
wouldn't have this small sector of absolutely insane entertainment!

So Mario, you keep on posting and keep re.auto.simulators running
because some of us never want tot let go of the past. Thanks!

Your buddy forever,
Gary

>Mario Petrinovic:
>Mario Petrinovic:
> Ok, it looks like I've found the secret.
> First you put everytnig on the default (of course you uncheck
> "Allow
>game to adjust settings", and you put wheel radius at 900), this means
>everything on 100% in Logitech drivers. Good thing is, this works even with
>un-natural FOV, and with un-natural screen height. It looks like unlinear
>FFB affects those things, but liner FFB is alright with everything.
> Then you finetune the FFB (for slack). This you do with in-game
>sliders. Rookie Chevrolet Impala is good for this. On my system I don't
>have
>to move those sliders much from max position. My FFB is finetuned with
>settings 39.2/95.
> Then you correct for Centering Spring. On my system this should be
>somewhere around 20%, but I didn't finish this yet, so I don't know
>exactly.
>I'll do this tomorow.
> I noticed that even finetuned FFB, like, has too much damping and
>spring in it, so this you probably correct with Logitech driver's sliders.
>
> Ok, where am I now.
> I didn't have to test all 150 positions of Centering Spring, since
>it looked pretty clear that 6% is the right setting. But now it turned out
>that in-game Damper of 95% is too high (95% I determinet when Centering
>Spring was at 100%). I am wondering how much I'll have to go down with it.
>Now I am somewhere around 80%.
> With this setting things look pretty good. With a difficult
> Cadillac
>car I am pretty fast. Things look good.
> Interestingly, even with Centering Spring at 6%, in-game Strength
>proved to be 39.2. That's good.

FFB...almost done Mario Petrinovic Simulators 14 November 23rd 12 11:59 PM
New PC's FFB Mario Petrinovic Simulators 40 May 27th 12 10:45 PM
FFB (so far) Mario Petrinovic Simulators 0 September 25th 11 10:57 AM
FFB Mario Petrinovic Simulators 26 September 5th 11 08:52 AM
G25 v. ECCI - To FFB or not to FFB [email protected] Simulators 1 August 17th 07 02:35 PM