starter not starting

Old November 12th 04, 05:54 PM
Kafertoys

>I think I'd suspect the starter before making modifications to the original
>design.

Ed
I have dealt with this problem before and most of the time the starters were
fine. Then Speedy Jim told me to look at the headlight switch. I started do
checks and not suprised to find why hes a true guru.

Mario
Vintage Werks restoraton
Old November 12th 04, 10:37 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Tim Rogers wrote:
> "Shaggie" > wrote in message
>
>>Hard start relay kit? Sounds interesting. I wonder what the pros and
>>cons of one of those kits are... :-D

> .........SPLAT!!!
>
> ......heh heh......got him again right in the back of the head.

TIMOTHY! Young man, you march straight into the principal's office right
now!. Girls, stop giggling! Shaggie, honestly - I don't know what is
wrong with you! How many times have you been told about speaking before
being called on? OH CUT IT OUT -- that spitball didn't hurt you! Girls!

I need a drink.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old November 12th 04, 10:40 PM

Shaggie wrote:

> Hard start relay kit? Sounds interesting. I wonder what the pros and
> cons of one of those kits are... :-D

I hate you, Shaggie.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
-=-=-
Asante Sana! Squash banana! We we nuga! Mi mi apana!
-- Rafiki (The Lion King)
------------------------------------
Old November 12th 04, 11:50 PM
Stutzsr

Clean the connections coming into the headlight switch as had been said before.
As a matter of fact....clean them all. The hard start relay works
great........I put one in my 68 Bug and it has NEVER failed. Do it only after
you have cleaned all the connections well as a last resort. Beats the s**t out
of push starts.. Eric 68 Bug Ol reliable NOW
Old November 12th 04, 11:58 PM
Chris Perdue

>From: stutzsr

>The hard start relay works
>great........I put one in my 68 Bug and it has NEVER failed.

my 68 has the factory original ignition switch and wiring, and it works
great...
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 13th 04, 12:59 AM
Shaggie

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:40:11 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et> wrote:

>Shaggie wrote:
>
>> Hard start relay kit? Sounds interesting. I wonder what the pros and
>> cons of one of those kits are... :-D

>I hate you, Shaggie.

That'll learn ya to make me get up in front of the class.

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.
Old November 13th 04, 02:45 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: Shaggie

>It's not too late to install a hard start relay so that when the
>original stuff fails you have a backup. ;-)

its on my list Shag, really it is....it is number 3 on the list...right behind
eating razorblades and drinking draino......
-------------------
Old November 13th 04, 06:48 AM
veteran

In article >,
et> wrote:

> >>Hard start relay kit?

I have one installed and it's great!
to deal with a resistance in the long wire from the start side of the
ignition switch. You install a relay, I use a Ford solenoid, it gets
the message from the ignition start position and that sends a jolt
directly from the battery to the starter solenoid.
You find out if this is the problem by crawling under and shorting
the little connection to the big post on the solenoid , if that turns
the engine over, you've found the problemo.

good luck,
Patriotism is supporting your country all
the time and the government when it deserves it.
-Mark Twain
Old November 13th 04, 04:33 PM
MUADIB®

Does the 74 Bay have the same basic electrics as a 74 Beetle?

I hada 74 beetle that had a bad relay of sorts that has some sort of
little circuit inside that just gives up................and it did. I
called a local VW shop and was looking to buy the relay, and they told
me that it was no longer available retail. But the guy went on to tell
me which terminals to wire across to bypass the relay and it worked
beautifully.

Don't remember which little box it was or what it was called, that car
has long since been cut up and discraded due to major wreckage.

Speedy jim prolly has the answers though.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....