How to use your headlights.

Old January 4th 13, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default How to use your headlights.

When it's dark out, turn your headlights ON. If you do not, other
motorists may not see you, and crashilarity may ensue.

If the blue high beam icon (or the little red dot, on really old cars)
is lit on your dashboard, and there is oncoming traffic and/or traffic
close in front of you, please actuate your dimmer switch. If you don't
know where it is, check your owner's manual, or ask someone with a
similar model car. If you do not, other motorists will be blinded by
you, and crashilarity may ensue.

It is surprising to me that a seemingly large subset of motorists can't
figure out these two simple rules, so I'm hoping that maybe some of them
will read this.

nate (whose eyes hurt, because "staring at the white line" is not always
an option.)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 4th 13, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-01-04, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> When it's dark out, turn your headlights ON. If you do not, other
> motorists may not see you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>
> If the blue high beam icon (or the little red dot, on really old cars)
> is lit on your dashboard, and there is oncoming traffic and/or traffic
> close in front of you, please actuate your dimmer switch. If you don't
> know where it is, check your owner's manual, or ask someone with a
> similar model car. If you do not, other motorists will be blinded by
> you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>
> It is surprising to me that a seemingly large subset of motorists can't
> figure out these two simple rules, so I'm hoping that maybe some of them
> will read this.
>
> nate (whose eyes hurt, because "staring at the white line" is not always
> an option.)

The highbeams have become spare bulbs and for the rest 'brighter is
better'. The usage of high beams in traffic is higher than it has been
since I started driving and only getting more frequent.

Old January 4th 13, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >,
Brent > wrote:

> On 2013-01-04, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> > When it's dark out, turn your headlights ON. If you do not, other
> > motorists may not see you, and crashilarity may ensue.
> >
> > If the blue high beam icon (or the little red dot, on really old cars)
> > is lit on your dashboard, and there is oncoming traffic and/or traffic
> > close in front of you, please actuate your dimmer switch. If you don't
> > know where it is, check your owner's manual, or ask someone with a
> > similar model car. If you do not, other motorists will be blinded by
> > you, and crashilarity may ensue.
> >
> > It is surprising to me that a seemingly large subset of motorists can't
> > figure out these two simple rules, so I'm hoping that maybe some of them
> > will read this.
> >
> > nate (whose eyes hurt, because "staring at the white line" is not always
> > an option.)

> The highbeams have become spare bulbs and for the rest 'brighter is
> better'. The usage of high beams in traffic is higher than it has been
> since I started driving and only getting more frequent.

We've slowly succeeded in convincing people that the only things that
matter in road safety are speeding and drinking and driving. The
consequences are obvious.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 4th 13, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-01-04, Alan Baker > wrote:
> In article >,
> Brent > wrote:
>
>> On 2013-01-04, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>> > When it's dark out, turn your headlights ON. If you do not, other
>> > motorists may not see you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>> >
>> > If the blue high beam icon (or the little red dot, on really old cars)
>> > is lit on your dashboard, and there is oncoming traffic and/or traffic
>> > close in front of you, please actuate your dimmer switch. If you don't
>> > know where it is, check your owner's manual, or ask someone with a
>> > similar model car. If you do not, other motorists will be blinded by
>> > you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>> >
>> > It is surprising to me that a seemingly large subset of motorists can't
>> > figure out these two simple rules, so I'm hoping that maybe some of them
>> > will read this.
>> >
>> > nate (whose eyes hurt, because "staring at the white line" is not always
>> > an option.)

>> The highbeams have become spare bulbs and for the rest 'brighter is
>> better'. The usage of high beams in traffic is higher than it has been
>> since I started driving and only getting more frequent.

> We've slowly succeeded in convincing people that the only things that
> matter in road safety are speeding and drinking and driving. The
> consequences are obvious.

indeed.

Old January 4th 13, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_8_]

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:18:14 PM UTC-5, Nate Nagel wrote:

> If the blue high beam icon (or the little red dot, on really old cars)
>
> is lit on your dashboard, and there is oncoming traffic and/or traffic
>
> close in front of you, please actuate your dimmer switch. If you don't
>
> know where it is, check your owner's manual, or ask someone with a
>
> similar model car. If you do not, other motorists will be blinded by
>
> you, and crashilarity may ensue.

To add: and just because you can't see because of your blue/pink/green tinted bulbs is not an excuse to leave them on high. They still blind oncoming drivers.

And: unless it is raining/foggy out, fog lights should be, "off."

> It is surprising to me that a seemingly large subset of motorists can't
>
> figure out these two simple rules, so I'm hoping that maybe some of them
>
> will read this.

I seriously doubt they have the capability to read, much less run a computer to read usenet... :/

Old January 4th 13, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

On 1/3/2013 7:18 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> When it's dark out, turn your headlights ON. If you do not, other
> motorists may not see you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>
> If the blue high beam icon (or the little red dot, on really old cars)
> is lit on your dashboard, and there is oncoming traffic and/or traffic
> close in front of you, please actuate your dimmer switch. If you don't
> know where it is, check your owner's manual, or ask someone with a
> similar model car. If you do not, other motorists will be blinded by
> you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>
> It is surprising to me that a seemingly large subset of motorists can't
> figure out these two simple rules, so I'm hoping that maybe some of them
> will read this.

I'll also add that they should replace bulbs as soon as possible and
make sure the bulb is properly seated in the assembly.

Also they should get rid of those crap tinted covers on their headlights
and brake lights.

> nate (whose eyes hurt, because "staring at the white line" is not always
> an option.)

I just give them a constant dose of my e-code high beams equipped with
osram rallye ultra high output 65W bulbs if they don't shut their
highbeams off like they're supposed to.

Old January 4th 13, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
T.J. Higgins

In article >, Nate Nagel wrote:
>It is surprising to me that a seemingly large subset of motorists can't
>figure out these two simple rules, so I'm hoping that maybe some of them
>will read this.

They won't.

When I'm being tailgated by, or sitting at a traffic light in front
of, some dunghead with high beams on (or poorly aimed low beams), I
often wish for a switch on my dash that would automatically adjust
my mirrors to reflect and magnify their headlights back into their
own eyes.

--
TJH
tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
Old January 4th 13, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_8_]

On Friday, January 4, 2013 2:07:00 PM UTC-5, T.J. Higgins wrote:

<< snip >>

> When I'm being tailgated by, or sitting at a traffic light in front
>
> of, some dunghead with high beams on (or poorly aimed low beams), I
>
> often wish for a switch on my dash that would automatically adjust
>
> my mirrors to reflect and magnify their headlights back into their
>
> own eyes.

I'd like to have one of those, "Nightsun," spotlights that they use
in helicopters to pop up from the trunk for those dungheads...

Old January 5th 13, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 01/03/2013 05:28 PM, Brent wrote:

> On 2013-01-04, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>> When it's dark out, turn your headlights ON. If you do not, other
>> motorists may not see you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>>
>> If the blue high beam icon (or the little red dot, on really old cars)
>> is lit on your dashboard, and there is oncoming traffic and/or traffic
>> close in front of you, please actuate your dimmer switch. If you don't
>> know where it is, check your owner's manual, or ask someone with a
>> similar model car. If you do not, other motorists will be blinded by
>> you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>>
>> It is surprising to me that a seemingly large subset of motorists can't
>> figure out these two simple rules, so I'm hoping that maybe some of them
>> will read this.
>>
>> nate (whose eyes hurt, because "staring at the white line" is not always
>> an option.)

> The highbeams have become spare bulbs and for the rest 'brighter is
> better'. The usage of high beams in traffic is higher than it has been
> since I started driving and only getting more frequent.

It may be noted that since so many of the lights on the overhead freeway
signs have burned out, the only way to actually read an unfamiliar
freeway sign at night and have any chance at all of making a decision
based on the sign is with high beams. I don't use them because I
generally know where I'm going at night, but now it doesn't seem to be
the moral failing that it used to be.

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$
Old January 5th 13, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-01-05, The Real Bev > wrote:
> On 01/03/2013 05:28 PM, Brent wrote:
>
>> On 2013-01-04, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>>> When it's dark out, turn your headlights ON. If you do not, other
>>> motorists may not see you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>>>
>>> If the blue high beam icon (or the little red dot, on really old cars)
>>> is lit on your dashboard, and there is oncoming traffic and/or traffic
>>> close in front of you, please actuate your dimmer switch. If you don't
>>> know where it is, check your owner's manual, or ask someone with a
>>> similar model car. If you do not, other motorists will be blinded by
>>> you, and crashilarity may ensue.
>>>
>>> It is surprising to me that a seemingly large subset of motorists can't
>>> figure out these two simple rules, so I'm hoping that maybe some of them
>>> will read this.
>>>
>>> nate (whose eyes hurt, because "staring at the white line" is not always
>>> an option.)

>> The highbeams have become spare bulbs and for the rest 'brighter is
>> better'. The usage of high beams in traffic is higher than it has been
>> since I started driving and only getting more frequent.

> It may be noted that since so many of the lights on the overhead freeway
> signs have burned out, the only way to actually read an unfamiliar
> freeway sign at night and have any chance at all of making a decision
> based on the sign is with high beams. I don't use them because I
> generally know where I'm going at night, but now it doesn't seem to be
> the moral failing that it used to be.

I have no problem seeing where I am going with low beams and I haven't
noticed any interstate lights out. What I have noticed is asshats using
high beams all the time. When I extend my middle finger over the center
rear view mirror since my hand is there blocking the glare anyway, some
will turn off the high beams to expose the fact they have a low beam
head lamp out. Oncoming traffic on two lane roads are usually just lazy
people who don't care about blinding other people.

Drivers of all ages and ethnic varity. No trends other than they are
driving and are too lazy to use their vehicle's lighting properly and/or
maintain it.

C6 Headlights aRKay Corvette 3 October 5th 06 05:47 PM
headlights Michael McNeil Technology 4 January 21st 06 06:46 PM
97 Headlights Bob Lewit Ford Mustang 2 January 15th 06 03:30 AM
FS; Headlights Bjorn Sunde Audi 0 December 8th 05 02:40 AM
99 T&C Headlights Dan Chrysler 14 December 9th 04 04:25 AM