block heater for cold climates?

Old October 22nd 04, 04:13 PM
Chief_Wiggum

Default block heater for cold climates?

For those of you that live in freezers...

I was always curious about having a block heater. Is it common for public
places / workplaces to have a place for you to plug in ?

Seems like it would be awful generous of them to give away "free" power ??

Just curious... Being born and raised in the desert, I haven't seen too many
block heaters ( although I bought a diesel Caddy a bunch of years ago that
had one...I was wondering what the H3ll the electric cord was hanging behind
the grille )

Oh, BTW.... it'll be ~68 today..... Think I'll drop the top and cruise

om...

Old October 23rd 04, 03:10 AM
Jim Warman

A lot depends on the employer.... fringe benefits for some, I guess. For my
case, it is expected that my vehicles will start - I go home for lunch,
anyway, so 4 hours isn't such a big deal even on the coldest days.

Average block heater would be 750 - 1000 watts (for most gas applications)
and cost concious consumers will spring for a timer to turn on the heater
about 3 hours before the usual departure time.Never quite got to the good
side of freezing today and now the flurries are starting again 8^p

And your parting shot - OUCH!!!