Front Axle beam questions

Old October 3rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Front Axle beam questions

I've done a little searching on the forum trying to find a procedure
for removal and installation of the front axle beam on a 76' type 1. I
have found a spindle to spindle axle beam and will be replacing soon.
I saw in a post that i have to cut the bumper struts? If i do this can
I just replace with t-bar bumpers? I'm going to crawl under the thing
this afternoon. I need to replace this stuff soon as it's my only car
and I have to drive it to work with no shocks. (only a couple of miles
on backroads not going over 35 mph)

thanks.

Old October 4th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Try to replace the beams without cutting any metal first and you may get
lucky. ;-)
What Speedy Jim and others are talking about is VW added some metal was
added to the 1975-1977 Beetles between the spare tire well and the front
axle beams. I believe it stops the crushing of the spare tire well in the
event the front bumper takes a hit. Like Speedy Jim
said..............safety braces and you will probably not miss them if you
do cut them off. ;-)

IIRC I have done a 1975 Type 1 without any cutting. I had to force the
beams in and out though and maybe the body was a little more flexible due to
rust (Chicago Beetle). lol
I usually leave the steering box attached to the steering column/shaft along
with the tie rods attached to the spindles.
So I usually only remove and install the beams together with the ball
joints.
Other times I install a new bare front axle (beams only) and assemble it on
the car.

Your complete beam will be much heavier and harder to work with. ;-)
Have Fun!
--
later,
dave

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
>> I've done a little searching on the forum trying to find a procedure
>> for removal and installation of the front axle beam on a 76' type 1. I
>> have found a spindle to spindle axle beam and will be replacing soon.
>> I saw in a post that i have to cut the bumper struts? If i do this can
>> I just replace with t-bar bumpers? I'm going to crawl under the thing
>> this afternoon. I need to replace this stuff soon as it's my only car
>> and I have to drive it to work with no shocks. (only a couple of miles
>> on backroads not going over 35 mph)
>>
>> thanks.
>>

> Yes, the safety braces ahead of the beam must be cut off.
>
> You'll have to be creative to make mounting brackets for
> the T-bar since the bolt holes for the newer shock absorbing
> bumpers are different, I think.
>
> Speedy Jim

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Front axle beam [email protected] VW air cooled 6 July 26th 07 01:30 AM
Front Axle Beam restoration - How do I un-tension springs to pull torsion arms? chicoik595 VW air cooled 4 April 17th 07 02:43 AM
Front Axle Beam Brian Knoblich VW air cooled 7 February 15th 06 03:31 AM
Axle Beam ike1 VW air cooled 5 November 19th 05 06:36 PM
Front beam Remco VW air cooled 3 October 20th 05 05:59 PM