Gear Readout... DONE! :)

Old October 6th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

Default Gear Readout... DONE! :)

Just changed newsgroup reader and back to my nick "Macsoft" instead of
my name "Manuel Macedo" (just to those who keep track.

Finished my Gear Readout. I took some ideias given here an came up
with thissetup:

(sorry about the lack of proper english terms)
underneath te backseat, I unscrewed a plate that covered the gear
shaft(?) to the gearbox and fiberglassed a magnet placed vertically.
Arround the magnet I used 4 alarm-type sensors (switches that react to
magnetic pull), and place them where they closed one switch when each
gear was on. The magnet did little movements from gear to gear, but
enough to diferenciate each.

HERE'S A PIC: <http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0253876301/vw/geargizmo1.jpg>
(it aint pretty, but it's under the backseat)

For the gauge reader itself I used a simple calculator with big
digits(only the first digit is showing, the rest are taped over).

GAUGE PIC: <http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0253876301/vw/geargizmo2.jpg>

So when I put in 2nd gear for example, the magnet closes one
alarm-switch, that closes the circuit of key number 2 on the
calculator. and so on, and so on. Since the calculator only allowed 7
digits, and I need a 0 (no gear) to be active too, I placed a switch
on the gear pedal that closes circuit for the CLEAR key on the
calculator. That way, you push the pedal to switch gear, it erases
last number, and when you release the pedal, the number on the netx
gear will go up.
Since the magnet psitions for reverse gear and second gear are very
close toghether, for reverse I used another tecnic: When you put in
reverse (reverse light will go on in the back of the car) so I
connected a relay to that light that unpluges the current to the
calculator (or else the number 2 would come on), and lightsup a small
LED on the right of the gouge.
LED lit = Reverse. Rest of gears shown as numbers!
usefull when you dont knwow if you have car in gear allready. Or if
reverse is really engaged. Or if you dont remember witch gear we are
(not that we have that many). But I just did it 'cause I think it's
cool, and I needed a way to know if the car is in gear, since I built
a remote start system from an ordinaryremote lock, and don't wan't it
to remote-start if in gear.

Sorry to those who like their VW kept original... but I like
gizmos!Many more gizmos to come!

MM
'70 1300 bug

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Old October 6th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

In article >
> wrote:
> Just changed newsgroup reader and back to my nick "Macsoft" instead
> ofmy name "Manuel Macedo" (just to those who keep track.

> Finished my Gear Readout. I took some ideias given here an came
> upwith thissetup:

> (sorry about the lack of proper english terms)
> underneath te backseat, I unscrewed a plate that covered the gear
> shaft(?) to the gearbox and fiberglassed a magnet placed vertically.
> Arround the magnet I used 4 alarm-type sensors (switches that react
> to magnetic pull), and place them where they closed one switch when
> each gear was on. The magnet did little movements from gear to gear,
> butenough to diferenciate each.

> HERE'S A PIC: <http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0253876301/vw/geargizmo1.jpg>
> (it aint pretty, but it's under the backseat)

> For the gauge reader itself I used a simple calculator with
> bigdigits(only the first digit is showing, the rest are taped over).

> GAUGE PIC: <http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0253876301/vw/geargizmo2.jpg>

> So when I put in 2nd gear for example, the magnet closes one
> alarm-switch, that closes the circuit of key number 2 on the
> calculator. and so on, and so on. Since the calculator only allowed 7
> digits, and I need a 0 (no gear) to be active too, I placed a switch
> on the gear pedal that closes circuit for the CLEAR key on the
> calculator. That way, you push the pedal to switch gear, it erases
> last number, and when you release the pedal, the number on the
> netxgear will go up.
> Since the magnet psitions for reverse gear and second gear are very
> close toghether, for reverse I used another tecnic: When you put in
> reverse (reverse light will go on in the back of the car) so I
> connected a relay to that light that unpluges the current to the
> calculator (or else the number 2 would come on), and lightsup a
> smallLED on the right of the gouge.
> LED lit = Reverse. Rest of gears shown as numbers!
> usefull when you dont knwow if you have car in gear allready. Or if
> reverse is really engaged. Or if you dont remember witch gear we are
> (not that we have that many). But I just did it 'cause I think it's
> cool, and I needed a way to know if the car is in gear, since I built
> a remote start system from an ordinaryremote lock, and don't wan't
> itto remote-start if in gear.

> Sorry to those who like their VW kept original... but I
> likegizmos!Many more gizmos to come!

> MM
> '70 1300 bug

Forgot to add: in the Gauge pic, the gear gauge is of couse the top
left. on the bottom left I made a gauge from a bike speedo to give me
very acurate speed readouts (tested with GPS speed), gives me partial
distances, and all the other usefull data a bikes speedo has.
Just fiberglassed the speedo sensor to the front weel drum, works
like a charm.

Old October 6th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Macsoft wrote:
> Just changed newsgroup reader and back to my nick "Macsoft" instead of
> my name "Manuel Macedo" (just to those who keep track.
>
> Finished my Gear Readout. I took some ideias given here an came up
> with thissetup:
>
> (sorry about the lack of proper english terms)
> underneath te backseat, I unscrewed a plate that covered the gear
> shaft(?) to the gearbox and fiberglassed a magnet placed vertically.
> Arround the magnet I used 4 alarm-type sensors (switches that react to
> magnetic pull), and place them where they closed one switch when each
> gear was on. The magnet did little movements from gear to gear, but
> enough to diferenciate each.
>
> HERE'S A PIC: <http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0253876301/vw/geargizmo1.jpg>
> (it aint pretty, but it's under the backseat)
>
> For the gauge reader itself I used a simple calculator with big
> digits(only the first digit is showing, the rest are taped over).
>
> GAUGE PIC: <http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0253876301/vw/geargizmo2.jpg>
> <SNIP>

HaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!

Manuel, you really are a man after my own heart!

I loved your designs, right down to the fiberglass mounting!
Excellent!

And the use of a calculator! Exactly right!

Many years ago, I designed a circuit to make a digital
speedometer. Very complex, using all TTL IC chips.
The input signal from the speedometer cable was generated
by a reed switch (similar to yours) using 4 magnets glued to
the cable!

Please make more "projects". Just don't harm the car too much. :-)

Best luck,
Jim
Old October 6th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Mad Scientist!

Excellent!

Keep working on it and don't worry about it looking ugly, it's just a
first working prototype, focused on function. If you want, you can now
start looking for smaller parts and more 'finished' look, knowing that
it will work!

Jan
Old October 6th 07, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

TTL IC,s ???. Thats giving your age away!!!
I,ve still got some OC71 transistors, beat that!
Cheers
John

. net...

Old October 6th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

John wrote:
> TTL IC,s ???. Thats giving your age away!!!
> I,ve still got some OC71 transistors, beat that!
> Cheers
> John

No, I can't beat that one. I came to the solid state
scene rather late, having fixated on 4X150's and the like
for too long. (Cut my teeth on #80 rectifiers)

Bob Hoover may be the only guy on here older. I was but
a toddler when Hitler ordered the testing of the very first
prototype model Beetles...

Jim