12V starter on 6V flywheel, new approach?

Old October 8th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bugger

Default 12V starter on 6V flywheel, new approach?

I am converting my sister's 64 bug to 12V. I was swapping a solenoid off a
12V starter to the 6V when I decided to take a deeper look. It looks to me
like I can put the 6V drive gear on the 12V starter if I have the 6V starter
drive gear re-bushed to thet 12V shaft size. Sort of like the bushing in
the bell housing. Has anyone done this?
Thanks,
Dave

Old October 8th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article <xKeOi.122816$Xa3.99020@attbi_s22>,
"Bugger" > wrote:

> I am converting my sister's 64 bug to 12V. I was swapping a solenoid off a
> 12V starter to the 6V when I decided to take a deeper look. It looks to me
> like I can put the 6V drive gear on the 12V starter if I have the 6V starter
> drive gear re-bushed to thet 12V shaft size. Sort of like the bushing in
> the bell housing. Has anyone done this?
> Thanks,
> Dave

yes, I just scrapped a car that had a 12 volt starter spinning a 6 volt
flywheel. neatto. I want to sell it. offers?

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.
Old October 8th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

I usually don't have to touch the 6V starters after a 6 to 12 volt
conversion. ;-)
I have also used 24 volts to power the 12V starters when installing a
Corvair engine on an AC Beetle transmission.
Those starters spin fast too! 8^)

Lets see you could grind out the inside of the transmission bell housing to
install the larger diameter flywheel so you can use larger clutch components
and the 12V starter with the special bushing.
There are 12V starters from the auto sticks, or Type 4s, that should work
with the 12V flywheel that are self-supporting and won't require that
special bushing.
I guess if you don't want that starter to spin too fast then change out the
starter or reduce the power going to it. Won't the 6V Starter MOTOR still
spin fast even with a 12V solenoid?

Not sure that I have ever installed a 6V starter drive onto a 12V starter.

Sometimes I do touch/change the wipers to slow them down though! lol
--
later,
dave

Old October 8th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bugger

Will a 12V flywheel bolt right up to a 40hp motor?
Thanks,
Dave.

news

Old October 8th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Bugger wrote:
> Will a 12V flywheel bolt right up to a 40hp motor?
> Thanks,
> Dave.

No.
The 40HP 6V flywheel will go right onto a 1600,
but not t'other way round.

See this thread on ShopTalk:
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=111570

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 8th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

I have never tried putting a later flywheel on an earlier engine.
I think the 12V flywheels have an inner 0-ring seal and most of the 6Vs have
a gasket. I would have thought you just take off the 0-ring and use the
gasket........................
I just have not worked on many engines older than 1966. Or I should say any
MAJOR work! <g>
From your posted link http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=111570 it
sounds like Tim modified a 12v flywheel to fit the 40hp engine. ;-)

Always learning!
--
later,
dave

. net...

Old October 8th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

In article <%PnOi.140817$Fc.49929@attbi_s21>
> wrote:
> Will a 12V flywheel bolt right up to a 40hp motor?
> Thanks,
> Dave.

> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
> news
>> Won't the 6V
>> Starter MOTOR still spin fast even with a 12V solenoid?

Nope, the solenoid is just a big relay switch. It switches on/off the
volts you feed the starter.

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Old October 8th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

In article >
> wrote:
> In article <%PnOi.140817$Fc.49929@attbi_s21>
> > wrote:
>> Will a 12V flywheel bolt right up to a 40hp motor?
>> Thanks,
>> Dave.

>> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> Won't the 6V
>>> Starter MOTOR still spin fast even with a 12V solenoid?

> Nope, the solenoid is just a big relay switch. It switches on/off
> thevolts you feed the starter.

Refrasing... It will spin fast, but not because of the solenoid. It is
just switch

Old October 8th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Cecil

On 08 Oct 2007 17:51:09 GMT, Macsoft > wrote:

>In article >
> wrote:
>> In article <%PnOi.140817$Fc.49929@attbi_s21>
>> > wrote:
>>> Will a 12V flywheel bolt right up to a 40hp motor?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave.

>>> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> Won't the 6V

>> Nope, the solenoid is just a big relay switch. It switches on/off
>> thevolts you feed the starter.

>Refrasing... It will spin fast, but not because of the solenoid. It is
>just switch

Will a 6v solenoid run at 12v ever need a relay bypass? >
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm
Old October 9th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

In article > Michael
> wrote:
> On 08 Oct 2007 17:51:09 GMT, Macsoft > wrote:
>> In article >
>> > wrote:
>>> In article <%PnOi.140817$Fc.49929@attbi_s21>

>>> Nope, the solenoid is just a big relay switch. It switches
>>> on/off thevolts you feed the starter.

>> Refrasing... It will spin fast, but not because of the solenoid. It
>> is just switch

> Will a 6v solenoid run at 12v ever need a relay bypass? >

A solenoid is just a big electromagnet. if a solenoid is set to work
with 6V, it will defenetly work on 12v. The other away arround it's
false.