Beetle to Ghia transplant?

Old November 13th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Al Adams

Default Beetle to Ghia transplant?

My son has a 1970 Karmann Ghia restoration project car that features the
infamous Autostick tranny. We have a totally rotten Beetle of the same year
with a manual gearbox.

Does anyone have any experience with transplanting the necessary manual
tranny guts to an Autostick vehicle? I have the impression from past threads
that the tunnel has the same 'plumbing' setup for cables no matter which
system it ended up with at the factory, but would appreciate hearing about
anyone's real-world experience with this sort of operation.

Thanks,

Al Adams

Old November 13th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tricky

Al Adams wrote:
> My son has a 1970 Karmann Ghia restoration project car that features the
> infamous Autostick tranny. We have a totally rotten Beetle of the same year
> with a manual gearbox.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with transplanting the necessary manual
> tranny guts to an Autostick vehicle? I have the impression from past threads
> that the tunnel has the same 'plumbing' setup for cables no matter which
> system it ended up with at the factory, but would appreciate hearing about
> anyone's real-world experience with this sort of operation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Adams

3......

2......

1......

Speedy !!!!!

you'll see
Old November 13th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Al Adams wrote:
> My son has a 1970 Karmann Ghia restoration project car that features the
> infamous Autostick tranny. We have a totally rotten Beetle of the same year
> with a manual gearbox.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with transplanting the necessary manual
> tranny guts to an Autostick vehicle? I have the impression from past threads
> that the tunnel has the same 'plumbing' setup for cables no matter which
> system it ended up with at the factory, but would appreciate hearing about
> anyone's real-world experience with this sort of operation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Adams

I will say that on a '70 there is a good chance that you
will need to install the conduit tube for the clutch cable.
But maybe Ghia chassis' all had them; early Beetles didn't.

You're ahead of the game by having a donor of the same year.
The tranny will bolt right up. You'll need the shift rod
from the Beetle.

If you're taking the engine from the donor as well, that
makes it a lot easier.

A Brit name of Matt Claydon wrote a very detailed web page
all about the conversion. His site went missing some years ago
but thru the magic of the "Way Back" machine, the page has been
archived he
http://web.archive.org/web/200304132....html#contents

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old November 13th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 13, 1:46?pm, "Al Adams" > wrote:
> My son has a 1970 Karmann Ghia restoration project car that features the
> infamous Autostick tranny. We have a totally rotten Beetle of the same year
> with a manual gearbox.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with transplanting the necessary manual
> tranny guts to an Autostick vehicle? I have the impression from past threads
> that the tunnel has the same 'plumbing' setup for cables no matter which
> system it ended up with at the factory, but would appreciate hearing about
> anyone's real-world experience with this sort of operation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Adams

Hey Al I just finished doing a semi-auto to 4 speed conversion on a
72super and this did not have a clutch tube, so I had to add it. I'm
sure you will find the lack of a tube in the 70 ghia.

It will require cutting an access hole opposite the pedal assembly.
You will also have to cut a hole in the rear near were the accelerator
cable leave the rear of the tunnel.

Other then that haveing a parts car with all the parts needed should
make it much easier.

needed is the pedal assemble
4 sp shifter assembly
bowden tube
fly wheel and new clutch assembly

You also need a way to seal off the vacuum port on the semi-auto
intake manifold.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

No bondo was used in the making of this post

Old November 13th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tricky

wrote:
> On Nov 13, 1:46?pm, "Al Adams" > wrote:
>> My son has a 1970 Karmann Ghia restoration project car that features the
>> infamous Autostick tranny. We have a totally rotten Beetle of the same year
>> with a manual gearbox.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with transplanting the necessary manual
>> tranny guts to an Autostick vehicle? I have the impression from past threads
>> that the tunnel has the same 'plumbing' setup for cables no matter which
>> system it ended up with at the factory, but would appreciate hearing about
>> anyone's real-world experience with this sort of operation.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Al Adams

> Hey Al I just finished doing a semi-auto to 4 speed conversion on a
> 72super and this did not have a clutch tube, so I had to add it. I'm
> sure you will find the lack of a tube in the 70 ghia.
>
> It will require cutting an access hole opposite the pedal assembly.
> You will also have to cut a hole in the rear near were the accelerator
> cable leave the rear of the tunnel.
>
> Other then that haveing a parts car with all the parts needed should
> make it much easier.
>
> needed is the pedal assemble
> 4 sp shifter assembly
> bowden tube
> fly wheel and new clutch assembly
>
> You also need a way to seal off the vacuum port on the semi-auto
> intake manifold.
>

> Mario
> Vintage Werks resto
>
> No bondo was used in the making of this post

Mario Gavazzi Vintage Werks:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96792

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...ter&id=5665438

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JeQ8UwWPP4Y
Old November 13th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Tricky wrote:

> Al Adams wrote:
>
>> My son has a 1970 Karmann Ghia restoration project car that features
>> the infamous Autostick tranny. We have a totally rotten Beetle of the
>> same year with a manual gearbox.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with transplanting the necessary
>> manual tranny guts to an Autostick vehicle? I have the impression from
>> past threads that the tunnel has the same 'plumbing' setup for cables
>> no matter which system it ended up with at the factory, but would
>> appreciate hearing about anyone's real-world experience with this sort
>> of operation.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Al Adams
>>

> 3......