What to use through the tunnel on a beetle/buggy ?

Old October 11th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV

Default What to use through the tunnel on a beetle/buggy ?

What are you guys using for gas line where it runs through the tunnel ? Just
plain old rubber fuel line or something else ?
Thanks,
Raz

Old October 11th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
> What are you guys using for gas line where it runs through the tunnel ? Just
> plain old rubber fuel line or something else ?
> Thanks,
> Raz

I would think that using flexible rubber fuel line through the tunnel is
just asking for trouble down the road. Flexible hose is a routine
maintenance item and must be replaced periodically. With the hose being
run through the tunnel the tendency would be to forget about it and it
would be very difficult to inspect. I'd replace with steel hard line
(ideally stainless steel hard line if it were a car I intended to keep).
Some people use soft copper tubing. That would be preferable to
rubber tubing but I'd probably prefer steel. I believe that most major
online VW parts vendors (Wolfsburg West, CIP, Aircooled.net,
Mid-American Motorworks, etc.) carry the hardline you need.

Old October 11th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
> What are you guys using for gas line where it runs through the tunnel ? Just
> plain old rubber fuel line or something else ?
> Thanks,
> Raz

Let me tell you a little secret(felatio is not likely to be sold
statewise anyway(Felatio = my car)).

I thread a copper something alloy(I think) brake line straight
through(The proper entry) in the tunnel from the back, and fished it out
through the proper opening at the front.(Rubber grommet then fitted at
each end).

Sounds difficult? A tad, had my pan on its own..

Of cause people will tell you this is a no no, as the line will rub and
is not fastened at all. Well, I lived through it, car still running. Not
the thing to do if you wanna go around the world.

A better and more proper way(unless you fancy the idea of cutting the
centre tunnel), is to route it either beneath or above the pan.

This can be done in a couple of ways.

Run it along the edge of the pan(underneath) in the "channel" where the
bolts to chassis are located. This will give you some protection.
Or run them down the middle protected by a halfpipe of some sort.

The slick way is to route it through the cabin, as in topside of the
pan, along the tunnel. Clamp it every 30cm or so( that would be a tad
short of 10" for those metric impaired).
Use P clamps with rubber lining, dirt cheap at any brake shop, or flaps.

The latter will be objected to by those who fear most thing mortal.

Enjoy!

J.

Ps.
If Mr. Hoover sees this, I'm quite shure he will offer a better and more
proper way of doing this, short of getting a new car that is.. :]
Old October 11th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Veeduber

> If Mr. Hoover sees this, I'm quite shure he will offer a better and more
> proper way of doing this, short of getting a new car that is.. :]

In a previous post ('Stainless Steel Craftsman') I described how
Roland Wilhemy replaced the existing (rusty) fuel line with one of
stainless steel tubing, through the tunnel... using the existing
brackets.

I've run replacement fuel lines through the cabin, alongside the
tunnel opposite the driver. Nested into the corner between the tunnel
and the pan, it is reasonably secure and there's no rust problem if
you use SS.

I've also run it under the cabin, in-line with the tunnel, attached
every foot or so then protected by welding a piece of angle iron over
the tubing.

Whatever method is used depends on who is paying the bills, how much
time you have and the size of your shop. Roland's method is the hands-
down winner but it helps if the body is off the pan, plus you need
about ten feet of clear space in front of the chassis to align the
tubing. Keeping things lined up turns out to be fairly easy (ie, with
the body off) and even turning the corner at the tranny-end of the
tubing's run is less difficult than it appears, assuming you have a
piece of rod or heavy wire that is a good match to the ID of the
tubing. (Bent to the proper curve, you fit it down through the hole
where the tubing will exit then socket it INTO the tubing. With one
person at the front, driving the tubing along with a block of wood,
the second person guides it up through the hole, bending it in SMALL
amounts with each tap of the block... in the method described in the
factory service manual :-) VW knew what it was doing when it wrote
the factory manual, the tricky bit is the first step in the procedu
"1. Remove the body.."

I don't think rubber or aluminum tubing should be considered under any
circumstances, although I once got a Class 11 bug home from the races
(where it had a pretty bad landing) using an Okie Credit Card
siphoning fuel out of a jerry can lashed to the grill under the rear
window.

-Bob Hoover

Old October 11th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Veeduber wrote:
<SNIP>

although I once got a Class 11 bug home from the races
> (where it had a pretty bad landing) using an Okie Credit Card
> siphoning fuel out of a jerry can lashed to the grill under the rear
> window.
>
> -Bob Hoover

A similar story:

Driving my '74 Beetle on one of the coldest days we ever had
in Cleveland, OH. The freeway was deserted and temps were
around 15 below zero. You wouldn't want to be outside in the
howling wind either.

Suddenly, the engine began to falter. I was miles from any exit
or habitation. It had to a frozen fuel line.

Pulling to the side, I pondered walking away but dismissed
it as suicide. Not a car came by while I was sitting.

Then I remembered a plastic jug I had in the trunk and some
plastic tubing. I siphoned half a gallon out of the tank
into the jug. Then *lashed the jug to the grill under
the rear window*. :-) and connected the plastic tubing
to siphon from jug into the carb inlet.

My fingers were about to turn black despite the gloves,
but I made it out of there safely.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 11th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_2_]

> A similar story:
>
> Driving my '74 Beetle on one of the coldest days we ever had
> in Cleveland, OH. The freeway was deserted and temps were
> around 15 below zero. You wouldn't want to be outside in the
> howling wind either.
>
> Suddenly, the engine began to falter. I was miles from any exit
> or habitation. It had to a frozen fuel line.
>
> Pulling to the side, I pondered walking away but dismissed
> it as suicide. Not a car came by while I was sitting.
>
> Then I remembered a plastic jug I had in the trunk and some
> plastic tubing. I siphoned half a gallon out of the tank
> into the jug. Then *lashed the jug to the grill under
> the rear window*. :-) and connected the plastic tubing
> to siphon from jug into the carb inlet.
>
> My fingers were about to turn black despite the gloves,
> but I made it out of there safely.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Great story!
thanks for sharing that..

Roger

Old October 11th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

In article > "bug
> wrote:
>> A similar story:

>> Driving my '74 Beetle on one of the coldest days we ever had
>> in Cleveland, OH. The freeway was deserted and temps were
>> around 15 below zero. You wouldn't want to be outside in the
>> howling wind either.

>> Suddenly, the engine began to falter. I was miles from any exit
>> or habitation. It had to a frozen fuel line.

>> Pulling to the side, I pondered walking away but dismissed
>> it as suicide. Not a car came by while I was sitting.

>> Then I remembered a plastic jug I had in the trunk and some
>> plastic tubing. I siphoned half a gallon out of the tank
>> into the jug. Then *lashed the jug to the grill under
>> the rear window*. :-) and connected the plastic tubing
>> to siphon from jug into the carb inlet.

>> My fingers were about to turn black despite the gloves,
>> but I made it out of there safely.

>> Speedy Jim
>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> Great story!
> thanks for sharing that..

> Roger

Dam!
That is way my trunck is full on tubes and wires e what not! you never
know when you gonna need them

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Old October 12th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Veeduber wrote:
> <SNIP>
>

> although I once got a Class 11 bug home from the races
>> (where it had a pretty bad landing) using an Okie Credit Card
>> siphoning fuel out of a jerry can lashed to the grill under the rear
>> window.
>>
>> -Bob Hoover
>>

> A similar story:
>
> Driving my '74 Beetle on one of the coldest days we ever had
> in Cleveland, OH. The freeway was deserted and temps were
> around 15 below zero. You wouldn't want to be outside in the
> howling wind either.
>
> Suddenly, the engine began to falter. I was miles from any exit
> or habitation. It had to a frozen fuel line.
>
> Pulling to the side, I pondered walking away but dismissed
> it as suicide. Not a car came by while I was sitting.
>
> Then I remembered a plastic jug I had in the trunk and some
> plastic tubing. I siphoned half a gallon out of the tank
> into the jug. Then *lashed the jug to the grill under
> the rear window*. :-) and connected the plastic tubing
> to siphon from jug into the carb inlet.
>
> My fingers were about to turn black despite the gloves,
> but I made it out of there safely.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Never had a frozen fuel line, but icing carb.
Wail until engine heat rises through/to the manifold/carb.
Then drive until it stops again, repeat until reach of destination..

J.

Ps.
One was much more patient being younger, was one not?
Old October 15th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Veeduber

On Oct 11 I wrote:
> I once got a Class 11 bug home from the races
> (where it had a pretty bad landing) using an Okie Credit Card
> siphoning fuel out of a jerry can lashed to the grill under the rear
> window.

On Oct 15 someone asked: How could a bad landing do that?

The fuel pipe was broken or cracked inside the tunnel.

Running off-pavement produces lots of failures never seen in normal
driving.

-Bob Hoover