heat related: old questions, new "asker"

Old November 21st 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default heat related: old questions, new "asker"

Well I bought a nightmare bug this summer and every time I need
something to work, it simply doesn't.
it's a type 1 1976.

A few questions:

1. The air tubes from the fan shroud to the exhaust are
gone..................Where can I get these?

2. I can't see anything resembling a heater box. There are what
appears to be heat shields around directly where missing air tubes
would hook up but they dont really look "sealed." Maybe I'm not
looking well enough.

I'm assuming all the interior heat tubes are ok since the interior has
been replaced but I also assumed that the shock mounts weren't rusted
away from the front axle beam and that wasn't so. Also I thought the
generator would charge since it was a 2 year old bosch...etc.....etc.

Any help would be amazing. I've searched and with so many different
users using different terminology I thought I would explain better for
my own well being.

Also anyone want to buy this heap?
Old November 21st 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

wrote:

> Well I bought a nightmare bug this summer and every time I need
> something to work, it simply doesn't.
> it's a type 1 1976.
>
> A few questions:
>

> 1. The air tubes from the fan shroud to the exhaust are
> gone..................Where can I get these?
>
> 2. I can't see anything resembling a heater box. There are what
> appears to be heat shields around directly where missing air tubes
> would hook up but they dont really look "sealed." Maybe I'm not
> looking well enough.
>
> I'm assuming all the interior heat tubes are ok since the interior has
> been replaced but I also assumed that the shock mounts weren't rusted
> away from the front axle beam and that wasn't so. Also I thought the
> generator would charge since it was a 2 year old bosch...etc.....etc.
>

> Any help would be amazing. I've searched and with so many different
> users using different terminology I thought I would explain better for
> my own well being.
>

> Also anyone want to buy this heap?

Your '76 originally came with a Fuel Injected engine
which had somewhat different heater boxes.
And it had an alternator instead of a Gennie.

I'm betting that the engine has been replaced with
a carby version.

For the charging issue, look on my web site for:
"How do I test my Generator?"

You will be ahead of the game to get a shop manual,
but in the meantime, go he
http://www.oldbeetle.com/pcat/epc.html

The 2nd pic shows the carb engine with heater boxes
and corrugated fresh air hoses.

Click on #27, Heater, and it shows one heater box
with the fresh air inlet. The rounded part where
the corrugated hose connects is actually a part
of the muffler assembly.

This firm has the hose:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....%2D0 87%2DAGR
(Common item at any VW supply house)

Heater boxes:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D6019

If all you see underneath are these "J" tubes:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....ACC%2DD%2D2510
you have been fooked.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old November 22nd 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Kirk wrote:
> Speedy,
> Glad you answered the user's request for assistance. That website's
> heater boxes provided a good picture, but I noted one thing in the
> description that would make me wonder about actually USING those heater
> boxes if one needed them: "...Light weight (no aluminum fins inside) also
> help to keep overall vehicle weight to a minimum..." So all that comprises
> these boxes is the "J" tube and the outer tin, right? Not much heat if that
> is the case. It sounds like they are making an asset out of a deficiency.
>
> KWW

Thank you for catching that! I didn't read all thru the
product description.
This one has the cast fins:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D6100

Jim

Old November 23rd 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DD[_3_]

Don't remember where I read about it, maybe in one of the HOT VW issues, but
someone took 12v marine bilge exhaust fans (in-line turbo types), and put
them in place of the pipes under the rear seat that carried the now warm air
from the heater boxes to the heater channels. The air was then drawn out of
the cabin with hoses hooked up to 2 1/2" holes in the top of the rear
firewall. This arrangement forced air to recirculate and thus heated it
hotter, and probably faster than the stock arrangement. I believe they
sealed the fan shroud with what looked like tennis balls.

Of course, one would want to ensure that the heater boxes were well sealed
from the exhaust!

DD