"Comprehensive studies conclude cameras actually increase crashes andinjuries, providing a safety argument not to install them."

Old February 5th 09, 07:09 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving

Default "Comprehensive studies conclude cameras actually increase crashes andinjuries, providing a safety argument not to install them."

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2008/fl-orban.pdf

Running a red light can cause severe traffic crashes especially when
one vehicle runs into the side of another. Red
light cameras photograph violators who are sent traffic tickets by
mail. Intuitively, cameras appear to be a good
idea. However, comprehensive studies conclude cameras actually
increase crashes and injuries, providing a safety
argument not to install them. Presently, Florida statutes do not
permit red light camera evidence to be used as the
sole basis for ticketing drivers for violating the law. Legislation to
permit camera citations has been proposed since
the 1990s, but none has passed to date. This paper explains red light
running trends in Florida; effective solutions
to reduce red light running; findings from major camera evaluations;
examples of flawed evaluations; the
automobile insurance financial interest in cameras; and the increased
likelihood of even higher crash and injury
rates if cameras are used in Florida due to the high percent of
elderly drivers and passengers. The theory behind
red light cameras as potentially effective is that they rely on
deterring red light running primarily through
punishment of a specific driving behavior and secondarily by changing
drivers’ experience. Because the rigorous
and robust studies conclude that cameras are associated with increased
crashes and costs, any economic analysis of
cameras should include these newly generated costs to the public.
Indirect costs to the public are usually not
considered in the calculation of total revenues and profits generated
from red light cameras. Florida should be
cautious in using traffic safety information from the automobile
insurance industry. Insurance financial goals are to
increase their revenues and profits, which do not necessarily include
reducing traffic crashes, injuries or fatalities.
Also, public policy should avoid conflicts of interest that enhance
revenues for government and private interests at
the risk of public safety.

Florida Public Health Review, 2008; 5: 1-7
Old February 6th 09, 03:40 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

STFU, you idiot. RLCs don't cause crashes. The problem is the law abiding
citizen in front of you brakes for the yellow light, while you the criminal
assume he's gonna run it and then you rear-end him. It's YOUR fault not the
cameras.

TERRORIST!!!

PSYCHOPATH!!!

MOLESTER!!!

HATER!!!

You make all decent people sick.
Old February 6th 09, 05:31 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving
necromancer - ECHM[_2_]

SFB spewed:

>STFU, you idiot.

You STFU, you american (sic) idiot.

> RLCs don't cause crashes. The problem is the law abiding
>citizen in front of you brakes for the yellow light, while you the criminal
>assume he's gonna run it and then you rear-end him. It's YOUR fault not the
>cameras.

Bull****. The problem is when law abiding citizens stop for the red
light and are rearended by welfare cocksuckers like you who don't
maintain their brakes. All accidents like this are YOUR fault, you
******.

>TERRORIST!!!

We all know you are.

>PSYCHOPATH!!!

We all know you are.

>MOLESTER!!!

We all know you are.

>HATER!!!

We all know you are.

>You make all decent people sick.

You make normal people sick. Do us a favor and blow your head off.

--
Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS admits to driving its beater with faulty brakes:

"Hey stupid - I've tried to fix it and i can't. The cable adjusting
nuts are rusted solid."
--Laura Bush - Vehicular Homicide (a.k.a. Laura Bush murdered her
boyfriend, Pride of America, aunt millie and Judy Dairya,
among others. See: http://tinyurl.com/ahphj),
6 Apr 2005 11:05:54 -0700
Ref:
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/8exv3