96 Chevy Cavalier - white gunk on dipstick - head gasket?

Old November 29th 05, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 96 Chevy Cavalier - white gunk on dipstick - head gasket?

Ok here is the deal... I had an extrnal head gasket leak on this car a
month ago and had a friend change the head gasket everything was fine.
I put about 700 miles on the car in 3 weeks or so with no problems.
The car sat for a week without being run. I took it about 70 miles on
the highway (it has never gotten hot after the gasket change) when I
took it out the next day I noticed it was running ruff at idle and low
speeds but fine at high speeds. I figured it was just the fuel filter
or bad gas maybe. well today I checked my oil and noticed a white
greese like goop on the top of the dip stick and a little in the neck
of the oil filler tube (but only at the very top). do I now have an
internal leak in my head gasket? I have not lost any coolent. could
something else cause this white goop? how can I test? I don't mind
doing the work myself and feel confident that I can. just need to be
put in the right direction...

thanks in advance
Jim

Old November 29th 05, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I don't think you can be sure yet. Some cars will form condensation on
the dipstick and foam up some oil. If the oil itself is not white and
foamy, you may be OK on the head gasket. The rough idle could be many
things. It's not overheating. You're not losing coolant. Pressure test
the cooling system if you still have doubts. Otherwise, watch it and
wait and address the idle problem separately. Pull the plugs and see
how they look. A real clean plug means that it's being steam cleaned.

Old November 29th 05, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

good to hear... a few other things it doesn't always run ruff it is
really hit and miss. also no white smoke from tailpipe when it it warm
it has recently droped below 32 degrees here I wonder if this has
anything to do with it. should I replace fuel filter and PVC valve?

Old November 29th 05, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

ball park how much is a pressure test? is this something that I can do
my self?