Help!!! Brake shoes from hell!

Old August 30th 05, 12:06 AM
Jennie

Default Help!!! Brake shoes from hell!

I am so hoping that someone can help me. I own a 76 VW Trike. The
engine is out of a 76 VW Beetle and I thought that the rearend was too.

Here is my problem, I have no rear brakes at all. My rear brake shoes
are down to the metal. I ordered what I thought was the right shoes
(ones for a '76 beetle) and they are too wide. The length is correct,
but the width isn't. I need a shoe that measures 9.06 X 1 3/16 the
only brake shoes I can find measure 9.06" X 1.57. I am thinking that
maybe they used a different VW rearend just have no idea what kind.
Would anyone know what kind of a rearend would take those kind of brake
shoes? Or where I could find them? I am desprate! Thanks so much!

Old August 30th 05, 12:42 AM
Dane Tyler

Not sure, as I don't have any old shoes handy, but you may need the
brake shoes for an early Bug...say from around '60-'64. I believe they
were thinner than the later ones.

Old August 30th 05, 01:06 AM
Speedy Jim

Jennie wrote:
> I am so hoping that someone can help me. I own a 76 VW Trike. The
> engine is out of a 76 VW Beetle and I thought that the rearend was too.
>
> Here is my problem, I have no rear brakes at all. My rear brake shoes
> are down to the metal. I ordered what I thought was the right shoes
> (ones for a '76 beetle) and they are too wide. The length is correct,
> but the width isn't. I need a shoe that measures 9.06 X 1 3/16 the
> only brake shoes I can find measure 9.06" X 1.57. I am thinking that
> maybe they used a different VW rearend just have no idea what kind.
> Would anyone know what kind of a rearend would take those kind of brake
> shoes? Or where I could find them? I am desprate! Thanks so much!

Dane is correct; you need an earlier year.

'65 thru '67 models used 30mm (1.181") rear shoes.
In '68 it went to 40mm (1.574").

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old August 30th 05, 01:43 AM
Karl

You need the 67 and back shoe set, was part # 111 698 051A. They were 230x30mm. Fit up to 117 999
000

From 118 000 001, the shoes are 230x40mm. 113 698 075

oups.com...

Old August 30th 05, 06:25 PM
Jennie

Thank you so very much!!! I found them and they are going to work
great!!!!! On the road again :-)