pto drive shaft to winch drive

Old June 9th 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
zane 79 landcruiser long body

Default pto drive shaft to winch drive

i am having problems with an old koenig 100. the bolt securing the drive shaft
to the winch came off and the small shim which pits into the winch input shaft
was lost (Alan bolt). I made a new shim out of old spring and it fits
perfectly, however the 3/8 inset hex head bolt is not providing enough
pressure and the winch still fails under a heavy load. I tried drilling a bit
into that shim and also ground the bolt to fit into the depression and got a
fair pull before the winch again failed. the rotation is starting to score the
input shaft.

I appreciate any ideas....any one ever just drill through the input shaft so
the securing bolt fully penetrates the drive shaft.? I am amazed with the
strength of the winch when operating normally and it is crazy that there is
only a pressure hold and not a bolt all the way through the shaft....thanks
for any ideas....

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/pto-...ve-134992-.htm

Old June 10th 16, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

I'm not familiar with your specific winch, but I've come across other
systems using a similar drive set up.

The design has a purpose: to keep the winch from being overloaded ... a slip
clutch setup, as it were, for your safety.

I would suggest having the bolt hole drilled and tapped to the next larger
thread size in a fine pitch (7/16" S.A.E. fine thread) and use that size
Allen head ( your "inset hex head") or a Grade 8 Aircraft grade bolt.

Do not let anyone sell you a stainless steel bolt as they will gall and
stick in the threaded hole without anti-sieze and that would mean drilling
and tapping out for an even larger bolt.

Hope this healps.

Budd
"zane 79 landcruiser long body"
> wrote in message
roups.com...
>i am having problems with an old koenig 100. the bolt securing the drive
>shaft
> to the winch came off and the small shim which pits into the winch input
> shaft
> was lost (Alan bolt). I made a new shim out of old spring and it fits
> perfectly, however the 3/8 inset hex head bolt is not providing enough
> pressure and the winch still fails under a heavy load. I tried drilling a
> bit
> into that shim and also ground the bolt to fit into the depression and got
> fair pull before the winch again failed. the rotation is starting to score
> the
> input shaft.
> I appreciate any ideas....any one ever just drill through the input shaft
> so
> the securing bolt fully penetrates the drive shaft.? I am amazed with the
> strength of the winch when operating normally and it is crazy that there
> is
> only a pressure hold and not a bolt all the way through the
> shaft....thanks
> for any ideas....
>
> --
> posted from
> http://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/pto-...ve-134992-.htm
> using MotorsForum's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to
> rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys and other automotive groups

---

Old June 11th 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
zane 79 landcruiser long body

replying to Budd Cochran, zane 79 landcruiser long body wrote:
thanks budd, got a good pull earlier, dragging a coconut tree out of the creek
at my place here on the west coast of sumatra....i run a surf camp here....our
motto is to protect and surf.....or surf and rescue when the beast, my 79
cruiser, is in a good mood. having the winch is essential i have pulled a lot
of small truck out of dangerous situations.....btw I just ground down the 3/8
inch bolt to a flat face, my idea of drilling a small divot into the shim and
tapering the end of the bolt was a bad idea. your suggestion helped me solve
the problem.....thanks again....take care, zane

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/re-p...ve-134993-.htm

Old June 12th 16, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"zane 79 landcruiser long body"
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> replying to Budd Cochran, zane 79 landcruiser long body wrote:
> thanks budd, got a good pull earlier, dragging a coconut tree out of the
> creek
> at my place here on the west coast of sumatra....i run a surf camp
> here....our
> motto is to protect and surf.....or surf and rescue when the beast, my 79
> cruiser, is in a good mood. having the winch is essential i have pulled a
> lot
> of small truck out of dangerous situations.....btw I just ground down the
> 3/8
> inch bolt to a flat face, my idea of drilling a small divot into the shim
> and
> tapering the end of the bolt was a bad idea. your suggestion helped me
> solve
> the problem.....thanks again....take care, zane
>
> --
> posted from
> http://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/re-p...ve-134993-.htm

Glad to help.

I was a heavy equipment mechanic and journeyman millwright for ten years in
an automotive muffler factory here in the States but I also served with the
Indiana National Guard Combat Engineers in the 1970's.

US Army 6X6 trucks used a similar overload unit on some winches and I
remembered how were set up.

Surf Safe!!!!

Budd

---

94 EB 4x4 drive shaft Paul Ford Explorer 2 August 8th 05 08:11 PM
TJ Drive shaft length Morrissey Jeep 1 May 18th 05 07:53 PM
Drive shaft questions HomeBrewer Jeep 1 December 30th 04 04:24 PM
A-4 drive shaft replacement Rob Alward Audi 3 November 15th 04 04:18 PM