"Compass is kinder, gentler Jeep"

Old July 15th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

Default "Compass is kinder, gentler Jeep"

Compass is kinder, gentler Jeep
The new car market is changing as are the philosophies of automotive
manufacturers. Jeep is no different then any other, so they are looking
toward expanding their appeal with vehicles such as the Compass.
at http://www.washingtontimes.com/autow...2632-5621r.htm

Old July 15th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

"I have been under-whelmed by the new Continuously Variable Transmissions
(CVT) finding their way into some vehicles. However, the one used in the
Compass shows that the technology is coming along quite rapidly."

Owner's manual for my Civic says that CVT requires oil change every 15,000
miles. I find this to be excessive for a transmission, which is why I
bought the manual transmission version. I don't know that the Compass CVT
is the same, but I assume that it is. Of course if you like having
repetitive meaningless maintenance services performed on your vehicles, this
could be a selling point.

Earle

oups.com...

Old July 15th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bret Ludwig

Earle Horton wrote:
> "I have been under-whelmed by the new Continuously Variable Transmissions
> (CVT) finding their way into some vehicles. However, the one used in the
> Compass shows that the technology is coming along quite rapidly."
>
> Owner's manual for my Civic says that CVT requires oil change every 15,000
> miles. I find this to be excessive for a transmission, which is why I
> bought the manual transmission version. I don't know that the Compass CVT
> is the same, but I assume that it is. Of course if you like having
> repetitive meaningless maintenance services performed on your vehicles, this
> could be a selling point.

Unless the CVT takes some bizarre juice it's not a big deal.

Old July 16th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

"Bret Ludwig" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Earle Horton wrote:
> > "I have been under-whelmed by the new Continuously Variable
> > Transmissions (CVT) finding their way into some vehicles.
> > However, the one used in the Compass shows that the
> > technology is coming along quite rapidly."
> >
> > Owner's manual for my Civic says that CVT requires oil change every
> > 15,000 miles. I find this to be excessive for a transmission, which is
> > why I bought the manual transmission version. I don't know that
> > the Compass CVT is the same, but I assume that it is. Of course
> > if you like having repetitive meaningless maintenance services
> > performed on your vehicles, this could be a selling point.
> >

> Unless the CVT takes some bizarre juice it's not a big deal.

Bret,

You want to think about why a CVT transmission would require fluid changes
that often. The most likely reason, it being some kind of automatic, is
that there is something in it chewing itself to pieces, as there is in all
automatics, except much more quickly. I don't know the recommendations for
the Compass, only the Hondas, but it is something to ask before buying one.

Earle

Old July 16th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Earle Horton proclaimed:

> "Bret Ludwig" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>Earle Horton wrote:
>>
>>>"I have been under-whelmed by the new Continuously Variable
>>>Transmissions (CVT) finding their way into some vehicles.
>>>However, the one used in the Compass shows that the
>>>technology is coming along quite rapidly."
>>>
>>>Owner's manual for my Civic says that CVT requires oil change every
>>>15,000 miles. I find this to be excessive for a transmission, which is
>>>why I bought the manual transmission version. I don't know that
>>>the Compass CVT is the same, but I assume that it is. Of course
>>>if you like having repetitive meaningless maintenance services
>>>performed on your vehicles, this could be a selling point.
>>>

>> Unless the CVT takes some bizarre juice it's not a big deal.
>>

> Bret,
>
> You want to think about why a CVT transmission would require fluid changes
> that often. The most likely reason, it being some kind of automatic, is
> that there is something in it chewing itself to pieces, as there is in all
> automatics, except much more quickly. I don't know the recommendations for
> the Compass, only the Hondas, but it is something to ask before buying one.
>
> Earle

Completely different internal construction for the most part. CVT's use
belts either in compression or tension. Remember the old dutch DAF?

Old July 17th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_1_]

Lon > wrote in
:

> Completely different internal construction for the most part.
> CVT's use belts either in compression or tension. Remember the
> old dutch DAF?

Who could forget a car called the.... ready? Here it comes....
DAFFODIL!

http://www.ritzsite.demon.nl/DAF/DAF_cars_p2.htm

Old July 17th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_1_]

"Mike" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Compass is kinder, gentler Jeep

Compass is a restyled Dodge Caliber
Old July 18th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff DeWitt

XS11E wrote:
> Lon > wrote in
> :
>

>>Completely different internal construction for the most part.
>>CVT's use belts either in compression or tension. Remember the
>>old dutch DAF?

> Who could forget a car called the.... ready? Here it comes....
> DAFFODIL!
>
> http://www.ritzsite.demon.nl/DAF/DAF_cars_p2.htm

Ritzsite is a very cool site, all kinds of interesting cars many people
have never heard of, no Jeeps though. However they do have a few nice
Studebaker pages, even have a car of mine!

http://www.ritzsite.demon.nl/Lark/Lark8.htm

Jeff DeWitt
Old July 22nd 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

XS11E proclaimed:

> "Mike" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

>>Compass is kinder, gentler Jeep

> Compass is a restyled Dodge Caliber

^^ Neon

Old July 23rd 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_1_]

Lon > wrote in
news
>> Neon

There's not a trace of Neon in the Caliber OR the Compass, the
Caliber/Compass is a complete new design.