'89 yj tranny mount

Old September 6th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Default '89 yj tranny mount

Lee Ayrton wrote:
> On the CJ the crossmember bolts at the frame rails were run into
> captured nuts that, after a decade of rust, were no longer captured.
> You could cut the bolt heads off, but then you had 4 unthreaded holes
> left with no access to the inside of the rail. Fun. Even more fun
> in a gravel driveway.

I just did my driver side and transmission mounts. Every time I
touch those bolts I have that thought.

--
DougW

Old September 6th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

DougW wrote:
> Lee Ayrton wrote:
>> On the CJ the crossmember bolts at the frame rails were run into
>> captured nuts that, after a decade of rust, were no longer captured.
>> You could cut the bolt heads off, but then you had 4 unthreaded holes
>> left with no access to the inside of the rail. Fun. Even more fun
>> in a gravel driveway.

> I just did my driver side and transmission mounts. Every time I
> touch those bolts I have that thought.

(prematureeposutlation)

However, I know how to get a nut in there on the ZJ. Just drop
it down the frame member up by the front control link mounts.
It will roll down there just like that fuscking socket did the
four times it got dropped in there.

Actually, a small hole could be cut and a nut with an ear welded
to it inserted.

It's not possible to drill through the member and bolt from
the top? It isn't on the ZJ, but might be if you have space
between the body and frame.

--
DougW

91 Ply Acclaim tranny mount location Hank Technology 0 July 14th 08 03:58 PM
VR6 engine tranny mount question Ron VW water cooled 5 July 1st 06 01:07 PM
Tranny Mount Doug VW air cooled 2 September 28th 05 01:51 PM
auto stick tranny mount Kafertoys VW air cooled 3 January 5th 05 11:51 PM