'89 YJ - Source for OEM leaf springs

Old June 12th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default '89 YJ - Source for OEM leaf springs

I have replaced the bushings using vise, sockets and threaded rod. The best
method for removal is the gas wrench. I am a little surprised that the
liberal tree-hugging commies still allow this. ;^)

Earle

ink.net...

Old June 12th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Earle, Here's my plan.....

1)Remove old leaf, right side
2)Disassemble and remove bottom link with broken eyelet
3)Buy used leaf, about the same age or newer and disassemble
4)Assemble 4 upper leafs from my spring and 1 lower one from
the one that I purchased. This way, my YJ should sit about the
same, No?
5)Replace reassembled leaf

Seems straightforward, what could go wrong?
Joe

.. .

Old June 13th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> Seems straightforward, what could go wrong?

Famous last words !

Hey ya'll watch this!

Old June 13th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Where's the problem,
the plan or the execution?

Old June 13th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I am not getting something you said. It is probably a question of
terminology. The entire unit is a "leaf spring". The five flat parts of
which it is composed are "leaves", not "links". The top leaf is the one
with a bushing on either end. If you can find a top leaf the same length,
your plan will most likely work.

Earle

Old June 13th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yes, I used the wrong terminology.
I meant leaf, not link. Also, I had the
bottom and top leaf confused.

Old June 13th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

This plan should work then, although you may find that the top leaf is
vehicle specific. It won't hurt to ask around though.

I saw a guy try to weld one once. It didn't work.

Earle

Old June 13th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks Earle, I believe the leaf spring assembly for the YJ
is the same for years '87-'95, couldn't I use the top leaf from any of those
years? My quadratec catalog lists it as the same part for those years, But
it also shows it as a
6 leaf assembly. I think mine is a 5.....

Old June 13th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I don't know. If you can get one that looks good, there are pros and cons
to using the entire spring, or just one leaf.

Some break-in occurs. If you mix and match, you are likely to accelerate
the process of spring wear. Plus you will need to install a new center
bolt, which can be a pain in the neck. Make sure to use the proper grade
bolt if you do. On the other hand, I think you are right, in that the four
or five bottom leaves from your broken spring, are likely to be a good match
to the other side. Don't forget to use new U-bolts, too. Maybe there is a
pair from a not-too-old vehicle somewhere close to you.

Earle

Old June 13th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Around here there are lots of old YJ springs kicking around. They all
go flat so folks toss them and get lift springs. You should be able to
find a leaf fairly easily if you check with your local 4x4 clubs.

I know the big rig truck spring shop that replaced my CJ springs can
order just one leaf in.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's