Hengst or Mann oil filter?

Old October 18th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

Default Hengst or Mann oil filter?

I have gone either 15,000 miles or 25,000 miles on an oil change with
that truck. Now I just need to remember when the last year was I
changed it as I do not drive it often. I did have a white oil filter
pop a pinhole leak in one of the Rabbits. Then I started using Frams
for the Rabbits. I never had a problem with oil draining out of those
filters. Now the Toyota filters are mounted horizontally. I can wait a
half hour and that filter is empty. That is a bonus.

No sludge in my engines when I remove valve covers. I suspect using
Mobil synthetic oils for the last 20+ years is why.

You know the Toyota engine as well as the VW use pretty good cast
iron. I am not so sure of GM, Ford or Chrysler. I have a customer tell
me they traded in their GM little wagon. Maybe a Cavalier size wagon.
He had 300,000 miles on that with just a few starter/alternators
changes. I suspect many cars this side of Yugos can last a long time.
Especially when you live in a warm, not in the salt area of the world.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 08:42:14 -0500, "dave AKA vwdoc1"

Old October 19th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Well in your case, and mine since I don't change the oil often in my '83
Audi 4000s nor my '88 Cherokee, we can afford a better oil filter! ;-)
Gee that reminds me to change the oils in these vehicles, it is the end of
an even year! lol

I had one 2nd gen Jetta 1.8l that created so much oil pressure that it shut
the engine down. Oil filter held but I don't remember the brand. :-(

Was that a white Purolator filter that sprung a leak?
I think I had 1 Mann filter that started leaking on a 1.8t engine. I am
glad I caught it before it leaked out much.

BTW How often do you change the filter in the TDI?

Old October 20th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

TDI get new oil and filter every 10,000 miles as per book. Oil
analysis shows oil is fine at that interval and could go longer.

I guess I could use a different filter on the Toyota but my anecdotal
has shown no reason to worry. Especially since that vehicle is in
retirement with only a few thousand miles a year. Right now it seems
to have a bad tank of gas. I will drive in more to burn up that tank
so I can drain, inspect and fill with fresh fuel from one of my
regular refuel suppliers. I do have an oil change for the Toyota as I
forgot when I changed it last. I just changed the oil in the John
Deere. I thought I had a new filter for the JD but I did not. Given
that I don't use that but 30 hours or less a year I doubt there is
much dirt trapped in it. I did drain the oil out of the filter though.
I will install a fresh filter next time I go by the JD store.

I think it may have been a Puralotor.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 19:19:27 -0500, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

>Well in your case, and mine since I don't change the oil often in my '83
>Audi 4000s nor my '88 Cherokee, we can afford a better oil filter! ;-)
>Gee that reminds me to change the oils in these vehicles, it is the end of
>an even year! lol
>
>I had one 2nd gen Jetta 1.8l that created so much oil pressure that it shut
>the engine down. Oil filter held but I don't remember the brand. :-(
>
>Was that a white Purolator filter that sprung a leak?
>I think I had 1 Mann filter that started leaking on a 1.8t engine. I am
>glad I caught it before it leaked out much.
>
>BTW How often do you change the filter in the TDI?

.. .

Old October 24th 08, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Hengst makes OEM oil filtration systems for Mercedes A-class and Audi
S4 V8 5V. So maybe the Hengst only shows up in newer VWs (incl. 3.6L
VR6).

http://www.hengst.de/conpresso/_rubr...tems__Oi l_EN

On Oct 13, 5:30*am, Jim Behning

Old October 24th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

I see. I know that VW tries to have at least 2 sources for many
things. I gather there are two vendors for the sunroof mechanism in my
car. I just never heard of Hengst but I live in a small world.

FS: Mann Oil Filters Fred W BMW 0 June 26th 07 03:58 PM
Oil filter changing irritation and fuel filter question. Some Dude Ford Explorer 4 August 19th 06 01:04 AM
Mahle or Mann audidrive Audi 3 March 7th 06 05:31 PM
Oil Filter Crossfiredude Chrysler 3 October 15th 05 03:07 PM
air conditioner filter (cabin filter) chibitul Honda 1 July 18th 05 07:42 AM