Tires... $$$

Old May 22nd 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Tires... $$$

145 SR 15 tires
Priced each

Cip1 (Nankang brand) $59.95
AC net (no brand given) $84.95

What's the trick, here? Just walk with the wallet?

Old May 23rd 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

2 wrote:
> 145 SR 15 tires
> Priced each
>
> Cip1 (Nankang brand) $59.95
> AC net (no brand given) $84.95
>
> What's the trick, here? Just walk with the wallet?

Call the 800 number at Premier Tire (Denver, Mountain Time)
http://www.premiertire.com/

Even if the web site doesn't show it, there's a chance they sell 145s.

Randall
Old May 23rd 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Based on my last order with aircooled.net, I got parts that were the
same brand, type and even the same retail pack as the parts that I
could find for somewhat less with other vendors. AC.net claims that
their parts are better, and they might be for some applications. Based
on my experience, I just felt my wallet empty a bit more than it
probably should have.

I got the wrong strut rubber bushing from AC.net, and although I was
allowed to return them for a refund John told me that all years for
that part were the same, which is not true. He was not aware that the
late super front end used a different bump-stop, which I was able to
procure locally for less than his price, and they were german to boot.

Now..about CIP1. I had a bad experience with them, and it took a lot of
wrangling and several phone calls to get my money back on a bum
carburetor(two in a row actually, the Pierburg ones with the
ill-fitting throttle shafts...both leaked fuel/air around the throttle
shaft). In addition, Bob Hoover reported that they ripped him off and
refused to give him a refund. Might want to shop elsewhere.

As far as reputable vendors go, I've used several. The
bughaus(www.bughaus.com), BFY obsolete parts(www.bfyobsoleteparts.com),
West Coast Metric(www.westcoastmetric.com), wolfsburg west and so cal
imports(www.socalautoparts.com) have all been fair with me. Not sure if
any of them sell tires. Also not sure where you are located, but every
time I've gone looking for new tires discount tire/big-o tires has
gotten them for me(165 sr 15 and 145 sr 15) within one business day.

Good luck,

Chris

Old May 23rd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Hal" > wrote
> [... snip good article ...]

Thanks for the pointers, Hal. Quite helpful.