Adjusting End Play

Old May 23rd 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Adjusting End Play

I replaced the crank in my engine and am trying to set the end play. I
can't seem to move the shaft in and out. I put the flywheel on w/o shims
and get about .014 of play. The original shims (I'm rounding off) are 2 @
..009 and one at .012. According to Haynes/Bentley, you need three shims.

First Q: I can I move the shaft w/o damaging something? I can only move it
if I hit the ends w/ a rubber mallet.
Second Q: Assuming all I have is .014, can I use one shim to get the
0.003-.005 play?

--
Mel P.

77 Bug w/ stock FI
70 KG Cabrio

Old May 23rd 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mel P." > wrote in message
> Second Q: Assuming all I have is .014, can I use one shim to get the
> 0.003-.005 play?

no,no,no....you must have three shims....they float in oil and act somewhat
like bearings.....one lone shim would spin so much that it could wear your
front bearing quickly....you need three even if you have to have some
material removed from the flywheel end to get the required play....(machine
shop, not rough grinding)