O/D usage

Old October 16th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
holmbrew

Default O/D usage

I was under the impression that O/D should be used only at highway
speeds and for normal city driving you should drive with the O/D Off.
It seems that `05 Explorer's normal condition, when it is started, is
to have the O/D On. Suggesting that it is O.K. to have O/D on all the
time. Is it? Should I be turning it off for normal city driving, or
does it really make a difference?

Old October 16th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_1_]

"Holmbrew" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was under the impression that O/D should be used only at highway
> speeds and for normal city driving you should drive with the O/D Off.
> It seems that `05 Explorer's normal condition, when it is started, is
> to have the O/D On. Suggesting that it is O.K. to have O/D on all the
> time. Is it? Should I be turning it off for normal city driving, or
> does it really make a difference?

I'd suggest reading your Owner's Guide. According to the Owner's Guide you
should turn off the overdrive when driving conditions cause excessive
shifting from O/D to other gears. Examples: city traffic, hilly terrain,
heavy loads, trailer towing and when engine braking is required. When
descending a hill, use the same gear you would use to climb up the hill and
do not descend the hill with the transmission in neutral. Disengage
overdrive or manually shift to a lower gear.

If you don't have a manual, go to
http://www.genuineservice.com/genuin...efault?page=E4 and downlaod
one.

Persoanlly, I only turn my OD off when towing. I have never had a problem
with excessive shifting in town.

Ed

Old October 16th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
holmbrew

Ed,

Thaks for the info. My Explorer doesn't seem to shift too much in
town, but I will check out the manual to make sure.

-Jason

Old October 17th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On 16 Oct 2006 07:50:25 -0700, "Holmbrew" >
wrote:

>I was under the impression that O/D should be used only at highway
>speeds and for normal city driving you should drive with the O/D Off.
>It seems that `05 Explorer's normal condition, when it is started, is
>to have the O/D On. Suggesting that it is O.K. to have O/D on all the
>time. Is it? Should I be turning it off for normal city driving, or
>does it really make a difference?

There is virtually never a need to turn the OD off in any normal
driving unless you are pulling/carrying a very heavy load or need the
engine braking going downhill.
Old October 18th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:48:08 -0500, Alan wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:32:47 -0700, Ashton Crusher
> wrote:
>
>>On 16 Oct 2006 07:50:25 -0700, "Holmbrew" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I was under the impression that O/D should be used only at highway
>>>speeds and for normal city driving you should drive with the O/D Off.
>>>It seems that `05 Explorer's normal condition, when it is started, is
>>>to have the O/D On. Suggesting that it is O.K. to have O/D on all the
>>>time. Is it? Should I be turning it off for normal city driving, or
>>>does it really make a difference?

>>There is virtually never a need to turn the OD off in any normal
>>driving unless you are pulling/carrying a very heavy load or need the
>>engine braking going downhill.

>I find the fact that, with OD off, you have better control of your
>speed -- better engine braking -- that it is MUCH more desireable to
>only us the OD when I hit the highway.
>
>Ford (and probably other manufacturers) build their cars that have
>OD so that it is normally on so that they can claim higher fleet
>mileage.
>
>I've always been a little irritated at that. Every time I start
>mine, I have to turn the OD off. It's a mild pain, but it happens
>over and over and over and over.......
>

>Alan

That's fine if it works for you but is engine braking that big an
issue in city driving? Is the extra gas burned worth the savings on
brake wear, which also can be used to control speed.
Old October 18th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
holmbrew

I'll give it a try when I get teh damn thing back from the shop. (See
posting: 2005 Explorer rear differential whine [Link:
http://xrl.us/sfqo])

I only have an 86 Toyota P/U to compare it to. That thing has zero
throttle response in the city with O/D on, but certainly runs better in
O/D at highway speeds. It is also and EFI vehicle, but 4 cylinders and
196,000 miles tend to wear on it a little.

Old October 18th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
oklaman

someone told me once that towing with O/D on is very hard on the
transmission, I suppose the gear that is engaged with O/D.

whenever I tow my boat, I don't use O/D.
oups.com...

Old October 19th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

wrote:

>>>I find the fact that, with OD off, you have better control of your
>>>speed -- better engine braking -- that it is MUCH more desireable to
>>>only us the OD when I hit the highway.
>>>
>>>Ford (and probably other manufacturers) build their cars that have
>>>OD so that it is normally on so that they can claim higher fleet
>>>mileage.
>>>
>>>I've always been a little irritated at that. Every time I start
>>>mine, I have to turn the OD off. It's a mild pain, but it happens
>>>over and over and over and over.......
>>>

>>>Alan
>>>

>>That's fine if it works for you but is engine braking that big an
>>issue in city driving? Is the extra gas burned worth the savings on
>>brake wear, which also can be used to control speed.

>Given the fact that engines have fuel injection, I doubt that engine
>braking has much impact on fuel consumption. Some, I'm sure, but
>probably negligible.
>
>And, yes, it is much better to have the car slow more when you lift
>you foot from the accelerator than to have it coast as if it is
>free-wheeling. It means you don't have to touch your brakes as
>often.
>
> City traffic is ALWAYS varying speed (unlike highway traffic which
>can settle into a constant speed) so having the OD off is an
>advantage in vehicle control
>
>Try it. You might like it.
>
>Alan
>
>==

I have tried it and don't like it. I can do exactly the same thing,
but with much finer control, by simply using the brakes. If you rely
on engine braking you always have the same amount of braking whether
that's the amount you need or not. I'm sure you have tried my way
too and didn't like it.
Old October 21st 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Holmbrew wrote:
> I was under the impression that O/D should be used only at highway
> speeds and for normal city driving you should drive with the O/D Off.
> It seems that `05 Explorer's normal condition, when it is started, is
> to have the O/D On. Suggesting that it is O.K. to have O/D on all the
> time. Is it? Should I be turning it off for normal city driving, or
> does it really make a difference?

I never drive my '94 (A4LD Automatic transmission) in overdrive unless
I'm on the highway and not towing. In OD around town it's always
shifting, hunting for gears and the torque converter locks and unlocks
constantly. It drives great, shifts smooth and at the right time with
the OD off. I've heard with this transmission it's advisable not to use
OD around town, but don't know if that's true. It would seem so to me,
it shifts less and more smoothly with OD off.
Old November 7th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Richard Minami

I've had 2 Explorers now, a '94 and an '05. I usually drive in O/D even
when around town. But as mentioned before, I usually pop it out of O/D when
towing. Except on nice flat or slightly downhill on the freeway. I used to
tow a lot with my old '94. But the gears were spread pretty far apart, i.e.
3rd always seemed to rev pretty high. Plus back then I used to drive way
too fast when towing, so I frequently left it in O/D (I've since slowed
down!). But the great thing about our '05 is the 5 speed O/D. Fourth gear
can still tow nicely on the freeway without seeming like it's revving too
high. The closer gear ratio is really nice! Of course, my wife is the
primary driver of our rig, and she just shifts into D (O/D on)!
One thing to be aware of (especially for you '94 era Explorer owners - not
sure if it's true of the newer rigs) is to change your tranny fluid
frequently if you tow often. I've read that the fluid should be changed
every 12,000 miles when towing frequently. I used to change ours at about
every 24,000 miles. No tranny problems after 120,000 miles. Many of my
friends used to tell me that their transmissions dropped right around 70,000
with no service.

Richard Minami
'05 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4x4
'94 Honda Accord LX