novice question on getting a stuck vehicle out

Old December 23rd 04, 12:26 AM
twaldron

LOL!

DougW wrote:

> As an old farmer once told me..
>
> "Here, sonny. Attach this to what you want comin out."

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old December 23rd 04, 02:31 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.bordergatewayprotocol.net...snowtowcar.wmv
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 23rd 04, 02:42 AM
Nathan Otis

Ya know, when this topic comes up (and it comes up a lot), everyone either
says, "Let them attach the strap" or, "NEVER let them attach the strap". No
one ever says where to attach the strap to...

Anyone wanna break the silence? Cause I'd really like to know. On yer
standard issue sedan, what do you hook up to?
n.

Old December 23rd 04, 02:54 AM
Jeff Strickland

"Nathan Otis" > wrote in message
> Ya know, when this topic comes up (and it comes up a lot), everyone either
> says, "Let them attach the strap" or, "NEVER let them attach the strap".
> No one ever says where to attach the strap to...
>
> Anyone wanna break the silence? Cause I'd really like to know. On yer
> standard issue sedan, what do you hook up to?
> n.

I always attach the strap, and I attach it to the frame. If I have to, I use
a chain to get to both sides of the frame, then hook my strap to the chain.
The chain is strong enough for the load, and I route the chain through the
loop on the end of my strap.

Old December 23rd 04, 02:57 AM
twaldron

Nathan Otis wrote:
> Anyone wanna break the silence? Cause I'd really like to know. On yer
> standard issue sedan, what do you hook up to?
> n.

Just close the big metal hook in the sunroof and yank. Actually,
some sedans actually have factory tow hooks. Toyota is fond of putting
them on. My Porsche does. Your vehicle may vary. You might try looking
at the owner's manual prior to hooking up, though. Good question,
because, after all, this _is_ the season for sedan fishing.

Old December 23rd 04, 03:03 AM
DougW

Nathan Otis did pass the time by typing:
> Ya know, when this topic comes up (and it comes up a lot), everyone either
> says, "Let them attach the strap" or, "NEVER let them attach the strap". No
> one ever says where to attach the strap to...
>
> Anyone wanna break the silence? Cause I'd really like to know. On yer
> standard issue sedan, what do you hook up to?

Most vehciles have pull points on the frame, but depending on the angle
those can bend the back bumper or body metal.

Modern vehicles don't have real bumpers, most will simply rip off with
the slightest stress.

If it's another Jeep or truck and they have a ClassIII hitch I usually
pin the loop in there for a straight pull. Pulling at an angle may bend
the frame on the newer trucks.

For the underside I use a couple of T hooks welded into a chain. Not to
be confused with that shiny metal hook that comes on suicide tow straps.
http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/43572.htm

I have pulled from the axle mounts, but only if they have a draglink
that runs back to the frame. That has a high potential of screwing up
alignment.

Another location is a frame cross member if you have to pull at an angle.
Usually the tranny mount crossmember, but some times like on old chevys
you can get a strap around the motor crossmember. Never pull on an A-arm
old ones may take it but the new ones will snap.

Truthfully it depends on the vehicle. Even tow companies have books for
hooking up.

--
DougW

Old December 23rd 04, 04:16 AM
Tomes

Jeff - can you please describe "the chain"?
I would be interested in what others use for "the chain" as well, thanks.
Tomes

Old December 23rd 04, 01:14 PM
Mike Romain

Jeff Strickland wrote:

If I have to, I use
> a chain to get to both sides of the frame, then hook my strap to the chain.
> The chain is strong enough for the load, and I route the chain through the
> loop on the end of my strap.

Jeff!!!!!

You are advocating the biggest no no ever to do here bud!

Folks, NEVER add a metal chain or any other piece of metal to a looped
tow strap!

The last person we heard of doing this is now pushing up daisies, may he
RIP.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old December 23rd 04, 01:14 PM
Mike Romain

'The chain' is a deadly weapon that Jeff has no business advocating
adding to the end of a strap!

This is the BIGGEST NO NO you can do!!!!!

You 'never' add a chain or any metal parts to a looped tow strap!

NEVER!

We just had this discussion here a while ago when the last guy got
killed by a flying metal piece hooked to a strap.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 23rd 04, 01:22 PM
Mike Romain

Well...... That is somewhat of a problem.......

There really 'is' no safe place to hook a snatch strap to a 'stock' car
or a Jeep for that matter unless tow hooks have been properly mounted.

On cars, there are no bumpers anymore, no frame, no solid hook points.
You can wrap it around a trailing arm for a rear wheel or a control arm
in the front, but if you have to pull too hard, damage will occur, same
for a rear axle or shackle or trailer hitch even.

To be honest, pulling cars is best left to tow trucks with their
liability insurance.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's