driveline vibes

Old April 24th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
j[_4_]

Default driveline vibes

1995 wrangler with a 2.5, tom wood cv shaft, tera sye ford 8.8

i downsized the tires to 31s from 33s. now o get a vibration in 5
gear at 2400 rpm, it rattles the keys. suggestions?

Old April 24th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On 23 Apr 2007 16:47:44 -0700, j > wrote:

>i downsized the tires to 31s from 33s. now o get a vibration in 5
>gear at 2400 rpm, it rattles the keys. suggestions?

When you get to 55 MPH does it still do it when clutch is pressing to
floor? If so it you and balanced tires, you likely either have a bad
Ujoint, bad Ujoint angles (theses can create a lot of vibrations) or
a drive shaft that is not balanced.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 24th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

j wrote:
> 1995 wrangler with a 2.5, tom wood cv shaft, tera sye ford 8.8
>
> i downsized the tires to 31s from 33s. now o get a vibration in 5
> gear at 2400 rpm, it rattles the keys. suggestions?

Well, changing tires won't suddenly affect driveline angles or the new
CV joints so I would suspect one of the tires is out of balance or our
of round or one of the rims is bad.

You could try rotating the tires to see if the vibration changes place.
While doing that I recommend a hand spin of each tire to see if it is
obviously out of round or has a bulge.

How fast are the tires spinning when the vibe happens? 5th and 2400 is
kinda meaningless without knowing the gears and tranny ratios. On mine,
2400 in 5th would be about 85 mph.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 24th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:02:24 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

> On mine,
>2400 in 5th would be about 85 mph.

I am not surprized that you think that tall gears with big tires are a
great combo and 2400 at 85 is cool. And you try to pass yourself off
as a expert too, Shame!!!! Not surprize coming for someone that tells
people to spin the tires is reverse while in 4x4 to remove drivetrain
stress. You are all show and no know.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 24th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

SnoMan wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:02:24 -0400, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> On mine,
>> 2400 in 5th would be about 85 mph.

> I am not surprized that you think that tall gears with big tires are a
> great combo and 2400 at 85 is cool. And you try to pass yourself off
> as a expert too, Shame!!!! Not surprize coming for someone that tells
> people to spin the tires is reverse while in 4x4 to remove drivetrain
> stress. You are all show and no know.
> -----------------
> TheSnoMan.com

Listen you insane asshole, I never said 85 at 2400 'or' tall ranges was
cool, That is only in 'your' little pea brain.

Gotta keep trying bull**** because brilliance in your case just don't
work eh snowjob?

I just stated that as a comparison so the OP might realize that
different gear ratios make different speeds at a certain rpm range.

No one but no one can be as screwed in the head as someone like you who
says they 'always' stop on the highway in a snowstorm to change gears
and have been doing it for 35 years! (or how to cause a hundred car
pileup in one easy lesson)

Absolutely 'nothing' I could ever post will top that one you insane fool!

Well..... maybe your conning some poor sucker the other day in
rec.autos.4x4 to jack up his vehicle to relieve the driveline stress
might. LOL! I felt sorry for the poor sucker! I'll bet most of the
group got a good laugh also.

Can anyone imagine the laughs fools like that would get at the local off
road area. Oops, hang on folks, gotta get out the jack because I can't
shift out of 4 low so everyone take a break eh.

Just a hint for you fool, 'we' keep our vehicles in good mechanical
shape so spinning the tires in mud or on dirt or snow isn't going to
hurt anything, ever.

If we followed your advise, we would have to park it come first snow and
never go off road or 'shudder' we might spin our tires and blow up our
Jeeps!

Too bad you have let 'your' Jeep get so decrepit, it will self destruct
if you spin the tires!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old April 24th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Apr 23, 6:47 pm, j > wrote:
> 1995 wrangler with a 2.5, tom wood cv shaft, tera sye ford 8.8
>
> i downsized the tires to 31s from 33s. now o get a vibration in 5
> gear at 2400 rpm, it rattles the keys. suggestions?

If the only change you made was the tires then you need to suspect
that before anything else. Probably just need to balance. Did you
change rims too? If so, suspect them also.

Old April 24th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

"nrs" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 23, 6:47 pm, j > wrote:
> > 1995 wrangler with a 2.5, tom wood cv shaft, tera sye ford 8.8
> >
> > i downsized the tires to 31s from 33s. now o get a vibration in 5
> > gear at 2400 rpm, it rattles the keys. suggestions?

> If the only change you made was the tires then you need to suspect
> that before anything else. Probably just need to balance. Did you
> change rims too? If so, suspect them also.

I would tend to agree with this but the tire size change would also have
changed his cruising speed driveshaft rotational velocity. This could have
exacerbated any pre-existing driveline alignment problem. It does sound
like a front tire slightly out of balance. A quick and dirty diagnostic is
to rotate the tires. If the noise goes away then back to the tire shop to
get them all balanced.

Earle

Old April 24th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

<PLONK>

Mike, I know how infuriating SnoTool is, but do us all a favor and ignore
him, eventually he will go away.

news

Old April 25th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

If you don't responded to a personal attack, you're a wimp! And when the
a**hole is wrong, then you're a coward, if you don't correct it!
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

. ..

Old April 25th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You know what Bill, Matt is right. Feeding the idiot trolls just gives
them the attention they crave. If they didn't personally get their
rocks off by being abused back, they wouldn't post utter bull****.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Cherokee driveline noise? Brian Jeep 4 September 7th 05 11:37 PM
driveline angles Troy Jeep 2 July 29th 05 12:46 AM
Driveline Vibration Scotty Jeep 3 June 15th 05 05:43 AM
Open driveline in Old Buick [email protected] Antique cars 5 April 19th 05 06:41 PM
Landcruiser Driveline Clunk [email protected] 4x4 4 May 13th 04 08:04 PM