{{ OT }} Bodies ... the Exhibition

Old January 6th 08, 08:59 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default {{ OT }} Bodies ... the Exhibition

are you jeff strickland from north carolina?
like from pondside in carteret?
well if so msg me at myspace

myspace.com/ranoldoe

Old January 6th 08, 11:23 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Cathy F.[_5_]

"dbu'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Cathy F." > wrote:
>
>> "dbu'" > wrote in message

>> > I characterize it as macabre. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

>> I would *like* see it - on an interesting, intellectual plane. But don't
>> think my involuntary reaction(s) - which reside on another plane - would
>> allow me to.
>>
>> Cathy

> It's a sort of macabre form of entertainment for many. Not me.

No, I don't think it's even supposed to be a form of entertainment. More
like acquisition of knowledge; a better understanding of our own bodies.
Granted, learning about a topic can be entertaining (as in interesting), but
not in the same way you're using ther term, is my guess. We're not
approaching this from the same angle, that's pretty obvious.

Cathy

Old January 6th 08, 11:58 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Wickeddoll[_2_]

"dbu'" ...
> "Wickeddoll" wrote:
>
>> "Dave L"
>> > "Wickeddoll" ...

>> > Yeah, I thought the displays of a smoker's lungs vs. healthy lungs
>> > would
>> > have grabbed some attention. It was amazing on the "how" they did
>> > that.
>> > At least it didn't smell like formaldehyde (from what I remember). I
>> > remember taking a look in one of my brother's college classes - a room
>> > of
>> > cadavers being examined and dissected. Came out of there still
>> > smelling
>> > the formaldehyde...
>> >
>> > -Dave
>> >

>> Gawd, autopsies used to gross me out - not because of the sights, but the
>> sounds.
>>
>> This will disturb DBU, I'm sure, but something that's even worse is a
>> cremation. At one point, the heat activates the nervous system, so the
>> body
>> starts a bunch of wild, involuntary (of course, since they're dead)
>> movements. The body may actually sit up, and appear to be speaking.
>> It's a
>> horror show. Good thing the family doesn't usually witness it!
>>
>> *shudder*
>>
>> Natalie

> You're kidding of course?? How could the nervous system still be alive
> after many hours or a couple of days?

They're never really "dead" so to speak. They're electrical conductors,
like wires. I don't know if it's heat/friction that causes it, or what.
Haven't you heard of postmortem movement in a corpse? Happens all the time.

Natalie

Old January 7th 08, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Wickeddoll[_2_]

"Cathy F." ...

> "dbu'"

>>> I would *like* see it - on an interesting, intellectual plane. But
>>> don't
>>> think my involuntary reaction(s) - which reside on another plane - would
>>> allow me to.
>>>
>>> Cathy

>> It's a sort of macabre form of entertainment for many. Not me.

> No, I don't think it's even supposed to be a form of entertainment. More
> like acquisition of knowledge; a better understanding of our own bodies.
> Granted, learning about a topic can be entertaining (as in interesting),
> but not in the same way you're using ther term, is my guess. We're not
> approaching this from the same angle, that's pretty obvious.
>
> Cathy

Absolutely - there was nothing "entertaining" about it. I saw it as an
educational experience. Science at its most fascinating, IMO.

Natalie

Old January 7th 08, 12:02 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 14:19:28 -0500, "Cathy F."
> wrote:

>"Wickeddoll" > wrote in message

>> This will disturb DBU, I'm sure, but something that's even worse is a
>> cremation. At one point, the heat activates the nervous system, so the
>> body starts a bunch of wild, involuntary (of course, since they're dead)
>> movements. The body may actually sit up, and appear to be speaking. It's
>> a horror show. Good thing the family doesn't usually witness it!
>>
>> *shudder*

>I wish I hadn't read this...
>
>Cathy

Of course it is true, you read it on Usenet! BTW, Cathy, I've a bridge
for sale... And it won't sit up and scream, either.

Sure it sits up and move around, just like that BigMac you had today
for lunch moo'ed several times on the grill. Yea, that is right, that
cow actaully tried to get off the grill several times. That's nothing
you should see what happens at KFC! Those chicken parts running
around, trying to get out, madness, I tell you, madness.

See, and this is all true, because it is on the Internet. Absolutely
true. Dear Allat, I swear it. True. Really. Honest.
Old January 7th 08, 12:05 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
larry moe 'n curly

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> This is VERY cool. If you have not been, you ought to go. If they were
> holding it longer in my area, I would go again.
>
> http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/
>
> Way cool!
>
> I'm sure at least one of them drove a Toyota, or a Jeep ...

Oh, if only the restraining order didn't prevent me from seeing that
exhibit again.

Old January 7th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Wickeddoll[_2_]

"PeterD"
"Cathy F."
wrote:

>>"Wickeddoll" ...

>>> This will disturb DBU, I'm sure, but something that's even worse is a
>>> cremation. At one point, the heat activates the nervous system, so the
>>> body starts a bunch of wild, involuntary (of course, since they're dead)
>>> movements. The body may actually sit up, and appear to be speaking.
>>> It's
>>> a horror show. Good thing the family doesn't usually witness it!
>>>
>>> *shudder*

>>I wish I hadn't read this...
>>
>>Cathy
>>

> Of course it is true, you read it on Usenet! BTW, Cathy, I've a bridge
> for sale... And it won't sit up and scream, either.
>
> Sure it sits up and move around, just like that BigMac you had today
> for lunch moo'ed several times on the grill. Yea, that is right, that
> cow actaully tried to get off the grill several times. That's nothing
> you should see what happens at KFC! Those chicken parts running
> around, trying to get out, madness, I tell you, madness.
>
> See, and this is all true, because it is on the Internet. Absolutely
> true. Dear Allat, I swear it. True. Really. Honest.

You have a differing view? Post your experience.

If you have no proof against it, I suggest you STFU.

Natalie

Old January 7th 08, 01:41 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Wickeddoll[_2_]

"witfal"
"Wickeddoll"
said:

>> "PeterD"

>>> Of course it is true, you read it on Usenet! BTW, Cathy, I've a bridge
>>> for sale... And it won't sit up and scream, either.
>>>
>>> Sure it sits up and move around, just like that BigMac you had today
>>> for lunch moo'ed several times on the grill. Yea, that is right, that
>>> cow actaully tried to get off the grill several times. That's nothing
>>> you should see what happens at KFC! Those chicken parts running
>>> around, trying to get out, madness, I tell you, madness.
>>>
>>> See, and this is all true, because it is on the Internet. Absolutely
>>> true. Dear Allat, I swear it. True. Really. Honest.

>> You have a differing view? Post your experience.
>>
>> If you have no proof against it, I suggest you STFU.

> In case you missed it, Peter, you just got schooled.

I re-read my original post, and realize I didn't mention that this
description of cremation is *second-hand* A pathologist I knew in the 80s
told me about it. If I had seen it myself, I would say so.

I can see how this reaction may happen, but I want to see whether this
individual has some first-hand experience of his own.

The pathologist was a very brilliant and accomplished man - I see no reason
for him to lie about that.

Natalie

Old January 7th 08, 01:43 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Wickeddoll[_2_]

"dbu'",
> "Cathy F."
>,

>> > It's a sort of macabre form of entertainment for many. Not me.

>> No, I don't think it's even supposed to be a form of entertainment. More
>> like acquisition of knowledge; a better understanding of our own bodies.
>> Granted, learning about a topic can be entertaining (as in interesting),
>> but
>> not in the same way you're using ther term, is my guess. We're not
>> approaching this from the same angle, that's pretty obvious.
>>
>> Cathy

> Most who view this so called exhibit don't view it the same as you, from
> a purely scientific state of mind I would guess. It is a Saturday
> afternoon entertainment.

Um, it's not "so-called" - it really is an exhibit. Not sure why you'd say
it wasn't. I mean, a horrible car accident is on display as well, but that
would draw curious, maybe even ghoulish spectators.

Having said that, the folks I saw seemed to be in awe, rather than morbidly
curious, but since I can't read minds, I can't be sure.

:-)

Natalie

Old January 7th 08, 03:12 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Cathy F.[_5_]

"Wickeddoll" > wrote in message

> "Cathy F." ...
>>
>> "dbu'"

>>> It's a sort of macabre form of entertainment for many. Not me.

>> No, I don't think it's even supposed to be a form of entertainment. More
>> like acquisition of knowledge; a better understanding of our own bodies.
>> Granted, learning about a topic can be entertaining (as in interesting),
>> but not in the same way you're using ther term, is my guess. We're not
>> approaching this from the same angle, that's pretty obvious.
>>
>> Cathy
>>

> Absolutely - there was nothing "entertaining" about it. I saw it as an
> educational experience. Science at its most fascinating, IMO.

Yes, you've expressed what I was trying to say - only you did it better.

Cathy