Service Vehicle Soon...what sets this MIL?

Old February 24th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Service Vehicle Soon...what sets this MIL?

Vehicle: 2000 Pont Grand Am SE V6 3.4L

Can anyone tell me what types of GM vehicle problems set the SVS MIL
as opposed to the Svc Engine Soon MIL? Are there codes for this like
SES?

Thanks

MB

Old February 24th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> Vehicle: 2000 Pont Grand Am SE V6 3.4L
>
> Can anyone tell me what types of GM vehicle problems set the SVS MIL
> as opposed to the Svc Engine Soon MIL? Are there codes for this like
> SES?

SVS? Do you mean SES/SRS?

Old February 24th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

A light in the dash that says "Service Vehicle Soon", instead of the
more common "service engine soon".

MB

Old February 24th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

>A light in the dash that says "Service Vehicle Soon", instead of the
> more common "service engine soon".

LOL, same thing. Sounds like it's time for a mechanic.

Steve

Old February 24th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Nope. *NOT* the same thing. I wouldn't have BOTH lights in my dash if
they were the same thing. I can run codes on SES on Autotap or AutoXray
but not so for SVS.

Old February 24th 06, 11:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 24 Feb 2006 02:25:17 -0800, "Comboverfish" >

>> Nope. *NOT* the same thing. I wouldn't have BOTH lights in my dash if
>> they were the same thing. I can run codes on SES on Autotap or AutoXray
>> but not so for SVS.

>The SVS light is set by the body control module and relates to failures
>the BCM detects. Lighting faults are the only thing I'm aware of that
>trip this indicator. You may have a chassis code stored which can be
>accessed with a GM Tech2 or good non-factory scan tool. First, check
>all of your external lights to see if one is out.
>
>Toyota MDT in MO

Some SVS lights come on at specified intervals, determined by the car
mfgr. to *remind* owner that certain routine services need to be
performed. The light is easily reset by the shop, or owner if he has
a scan tool.

Lg

Old February 24th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Steve Mackie > wrote:
>>A light in the dash that says "Service Vehicle Soon", instead of the
>> more common "service engine soon".

>LOL, same thing. Sounds like it's time for a mechanic.

The newer cars will soon just have a REPLACE ENGINE light. And of course
all the Japanese cars with the REDUCE TARIFF light.
--scott
Old February 25th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On 24 Feb 2006 02:25:17 -0800, "Comboverfish" >

>>> Nope. *NOT* the same thing. I wouldn't have BOTH lights in my dash if
>>> they were the same thing. I can run codes on SES on Autotap or AutoXray
>>> but not so for SVS.

>>The SVS light is set by the body control module and relates to failures
>>the BCM detects. Lighting faults are the only thing I'm aware of that
>>trip this indicator. You may have a chassis code stored which can be
>>accessed with a GM Tech2 or good non-factory scan tool. First, check
>>all of your external lights to see if one is out.
>>
>>Toyota MDT in MO

> Some SVS lights come on at specified intervals, determined by the car
> mfgr. to *remind* owner that certain routine services need to be
> performed. The light is easily reset by the shop, or owner if he has
> a scan tool.
>
> Lg

Back in the 80's some vehicles had check emissions or maintenance required
lights that would come on at specified intervals. Most of them had a little
module hidden somewhere that could be reset by pushing a button or something
similar, no scan tools required. If the SVS light is on there is a problem
and the body control module is trying to tell you about it.
Bob

Old February 25th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

It's one of my headlamps. I have no DRL (neither is on), however when
I manually switch the headlights to the "on" position only one is on.
There is no SVS light at night.

Old February 25th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:35:22 -0600, "Bob" > wrote:

.. .

wrote:

>>>The SVS light is set by the body control module and relates to failures
>>>the BCM detects. Lighting faults are the only thing I'm aware of that
>>>trip this indicator. You may have a chassis code stored which can be
>>>accessed with a GM Tech2 or good non-factory scan tool. First, check
>>>all of your external lights to see if one is out.
>>>
>>>Toyota MDT in MO

>> Some SVS lights come on at specified intervals, determined by the car
>> mfgr. to *remind* owner that certain routine services need to be
>> performed. The light is easily reset by the shop, or owner if he has
>> a scan tool.
>>
>> Lg
>>

>Back in the 80's some vehicles had check emissions or maintenance required
>lights that would come on at specified intervals. Most of them had a little
>module hidden somewhere that could be reset by pushing a button or something
>similar, no scan tools required. If the SVS light is on there is a problem
>and the body control module is trying to tell you about it.
> Bob

OP just said his DRLs aren't working and one of his headlights is out.
Fish says that will do it. Let's check the filament on that one
headlight that isn't lighting.

Lg