OT Daily Drive E-Brake

Old April 3rd 05, 06:29 PM
jjs

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
news:txV3e.99912$755.87570@lakeread05...

> "jjs" > wrote in message

>> So what. You aren't supposed to use the PARKING break for parking.

> yeah and the "park" position on an automatic trans is for going backwards
> too...

No, it's just for emergencies. Real men move forward.

>> (And he
>> called it the E-Brake, right?)
>>

> yes he did...and from what i gather that is what he was told it was for,
> not
> for parking...hence my post...

It ain't for parking, except briefly. Tim showed one example.

>it wasn't exactly directed to you as much as
> to bill....they are hosing him and he and everyone here sees that....

Well, yeah, we all know that.

(My man, you don't sound so good. Are you sick today?)

Old April 3rd 05, 06:33 PM
Busahaulic

"Tim Rogers" > wrote in message
> "Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > My Emergency brake on my Daily Driver 95 Escort Wagon was not holding
> > the car and needed some adjustment.............snip
> >

> ............I replaced the three part cable assembly on my Nissan 4x4

truck
> last year.

<<SNIP>>
One thing that threw > me for a loop is that I had to readjust the tightness
of the cables in the
two spots where the slack can be removed at about a month after the
> installation. I think that there must be a little stretch that new cables
> have after their installed. It's been perfectly OK now since last fall and

> no longer have to worry about it rolling into the water when I'm winching

my
> boat out of the water on to its trailer.

EXACTLY! New cables stretch. Some stretch a lot. Doesn't matter if it's the
brake cable on your bicycle or the clutch cable on your VW or the brake
cables on your Escort, it's gonna stretch and need re-adjustment after it
settles in. My gauge to when the rear brakes on my bus need adjusting is how
far out the parking brake lever comes. They go together. I suggest that the
new brake shoes have also worn in. I assumed that the Escort has 4 wheel
discs??? I don't know the mechanism that they use for parking brake, but if
it has three cables, it leads to the assumption that it has rear drums. If
this is the case (rear drums) then you might well solve the problem by
backing the car and slamming the (regular) brakes a few times to get that
slack out. I also expect that the parking brake holds the car from rolling
forward much better than from rolling backward, but most reverse gears are
so weak, backing up the hill is not a viable option.

There's slack that occurs as new parts seat in. It needs to be compensated
for. I wouldn't be surpised if there is no way to compensate in a late model
inexpesive car (even though I cannot afford one!) Maybe go to a frame
alignment shop and have them stretch the thing a few mm's! -BaH

Old April 3rd 05, 07:34 PM
Joey Tribiani

"jjs" > wrote in message

> > yes he did...and from what i gather that is what he was told it was for,
> > not
> > for parking...hence my post...

> It ain't for parking, except briefly. Tim showed one example.

don't take my word for it...check any owners manual and let us know what
they suggest....*ALWAYS* apply the parking brake when exiting the
vehicle...and they even go on to say that in an automatic you should shift
to neutral to set the parking brake to keep the stress caused by the wieght
of the vehicle off the trans...

> >it wasn't exactly directed to you as much as
> > to bill....they are hosing him and he and everyone here sees that....

> Well, yeah, we all know that.
>
> (My man, you don't sound so good. Are you sick today?)

i'm fine, thanks for your concern...

Old April 3rd 05, 07:52 PM
Shag

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 14:34:24 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>"jjs" > wrote in message
>> It ain't for parking, except briefly. Tim showed one example.

>don't take my word for it...check any owners manual and let us know what
>they suggest....*ALWAYS* apply the parking brake when exiting the
>vehicle...and they even go on to say that in an automatic you should shift
>to neutral to set the parking brake to keep the stress caused by the wieght
>of the vehicle off the trans...

Wow, Chris. You and this other guy must be idiots. This other guy
says:

Fairfax, Va.: Should we use parking brake all the time? Or putting car
into parking shift is enough?

Pat Goss: Park is never enough. Always use the parking brake. The
proper procedure is apply the parking brake then put the gear selector
into park. This will place all the load on the brakes rather than the
transmission.

"Pat Goss has worked on cars for more than 40 years. He owns a car
repair company that bears his name, has authored numerous books on
auto maintenance, and makes weekly appearances on Motorweek, a PBS
television program."

Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Oct22.html

Ol' JJ has been working on cars for a living for at least 50-60 years
now and he says you should not use the parking brake for parking so
Chris, you and this other guy are obviously IDIOTS. Right, JJ? You
have been working on cars for a living and have written books on the
subject and appear regularly on television giving car advice, right?
JJ is obviously NOT an IDIOT running off at the mouth. Chris and Pat
Goss are OBVIOUSLY just stupid and completely off-base here. Right,
JJ? Right? Is that what you're saying? Huh? Right?

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old April 3rd 05, 08:56 PM
Bill Berckman

The think that I am finding out about shops like Meineke as Ben said,
they compete on price, and the person that suffers is the customer. I
guess VW parts are similar. A guy like John Connolly that offers tech
advise, service and guarantees after the sale, has to compete with some
guy with a Yahoo store selling the lowest quality parts ever to come
out of Brazil. Which would you rather have?

Old April 3rd 05, 09:10 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

> Wow, Chris. You and this other guy must be idiots. This other guy
> says:

might be...i just try to help out sometimes...<shrug>

Old April 3rd 05, 09:37 PM
Bill Berckman

I think I may know (but possibly not) where the term parking brake
originated. I remember when I was 9 or 10 (1970-71) and we were at a
family gathering at my great uncles house. It was mostly old people so
my brother and I went outside to play and wound up in his Two car
garage. He had a fairly new 1966 Bel Air, and also kept his old 1953
Pontiac which was still in good shape since it had been in the garage.
The 53 was an early automatic. The funny thing about this automatis was
that then there was no Park gear as in modern cars. You simply used
your parking brake to hold the car. This is why I am guessing it was
called a parking brake. The gear selection was also not in the typical
R,N,D,2,1 fashion. My parents bought a new Chevrolet Biscayne in 1959
and by this time it did have a Park gear in the same pattern that is
still used today. Back when the Automatics were new in the 50's the
automakers all had some fancy name for them. Chevrolet called theirs
Powerglide, and Oldsmobile called theirs Dynaflow and American Motors
called theirs Torqueflite and you got a Fordomatic on a Ford vehicle.
For some reason the early automatics did not do as well in the snow as
their manual counterparts, so there was a saying about the Chevrolet
product that said "Slip and Slide with Powerglide. These auto
transmissions were also nicknamed slushboxes due to their less than
stellar acceleration.

Old April 3rd 05, 09:47 PM
jjs

> don't take my word for it...check any owners manual and let us know what
> they suggest....*ALWAYS* apply the parking brake when exiting the
> vehicle...

Maybe you could show me some citations along with the YELLING.

> and they even go on to say that in an automatic you should shift
> to neutral to set the parking brake to keep the stress caused by the
> wieght
> of the vehicle off the trans...

I guess Ford thinks differently. "!(warning symbol)... Make sure that the
gearshift is securely latched in Park (P)."

Old April 3rd 05, 09:49 PM
jjs

"Busahaulic" > wrote in message

> EXACTLY! New cables stretch. Some stretch a lot. [...]

Yep. Never found a new cable that was stressed that didn't stretch, for
example "parking" brakes. (What did VW call that brake in Bug? Anybody got
an original manual?).

Old April 3rd 05, 09:58 PM
Ben Boyle

My car is at the mechanics right now with the owners manual in it. If nobody replies by then I'll look it up and see
what they called it exactly.