New carburettor- At least for me.

Old February 5th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default New carburettor- At least for me.

I was able to get this carburettor, but it is completely dirty. I check
it and have no play on the shaft.

http://i1.tinypic.com/n5k9xl.jpg

What is the best way to clean it? Can I sand blaster it?

Joćo
72 Super 1302 (1600DP)

Old February 5th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I see most mechanics here use thinner to clean carbs. Is it correct to do
that? can thinner damage some of the parts?

Karls

oups.com...

Old February 5th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wrote:
> I was able to get this carburettor, but it is completely dirty. I check
> it and have no play on the shaft.

http://i1.tinypic.com/n5k9xl.jpg

> What is the best way to clean it? Can I sand blaster it?

Wow, Joćo - that carb looks like it has been on the bottom of the
ocean, along with my frame

Remco

Old February 5th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Thanks for you replay. I took the carb home because the guy that was
going to clean it for me was going to sand blaster it. I arrived just
on time :-)

Joćo

Old February 5th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

LOL you here just waiting for an opportunity :-)
It was in a T2 but I don't have any idea here the T2 was. They
replace this carb by dual dellorto's
I removed must of the outside dirt with a can of carb cleaner and a
brush. Now I will disassemble it and clean it better piece by piece. I
will search by posts on this topic.
Today I went for a ride on my beetle. You can see some pictures of
Portugal that I took today

http://i1.tinypic.com/n71fsi.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/n71ht4.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/n71i6a.jpg

Joćo

Old February 5th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

" was able to get this carburettor, but it is completely dirty. I check
it and have no play on the shaft.

http://i1.tinypic.com/n5k9xl.jpg

What is the best way to clean it? Can I sand blaster it? "

I wouldn't sandblast it. I would imagine you'd have a hard time
removing the sand from the internal passages. I would take it all apart
and soak it in a gallon of carb cleaner(I use the stuff made by
berryman). It stinks like hell so don't get it on your skin. After you
get it clean hopefully you'll be able to shake it and hear the check
ball in the accelerator pump passage rattle. It needs to be free to
move around.

If all is well then blow it all out with compressed air and give it the
wd-40 check. Spray into the passages and see that all of the
holes(especially those in the idle drillings near the throttle plate)
show some fluid coming through. You will also want to change the
jets/emulsion tube to match what the bentley manual calls for on your
specific vehicle. I got a few junker carbs for cheap and salvaged jets
from them to build mine.

Bob Hoover wrote a good article on repairing the solex carburetors a
while back. You should search for it and give it a read. I used his
procedure and everything worked perfect when I was all done with the
job. You're quite lucky to get a decent condition genuine VW carb, I've
only seen a couple and they were always beat all to hell.

Chris

Old February 6th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> What is the best way to clean it?

Throw it away. The crap you have to use to clean it is such friggin toxic
throw-away you may as well buy something new and just forget it.

Old February 6th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wrote:
> LOL you here just waiting for an opportunity :-)
> It was in a T2 but I don't have any idea here the T2 was. They
> replace this carb by dual dellorto's
> I removed must of the outside dirt with a can of carb cleaner and a
> brush. Now I will disassemble it and clean it better piece by piece. I
> will search by posts on this topic.
> Today I went for a ride on my beetle. You can see some pictures of
> Portugal that I took today

http://i1.tinypic.com/n71fsi.jpg

> http://i1.tinypic.com/n71ht4.jpg
>
> http://i1.tinypic.com/n71i6a.jpg

Yup, I was just being patient, waiting for an opportunity to use the
"bottom of the ocean" reference -- I knew you'd catch it.

Those pix are beautiful. Sounds like you had a nice ride. Can't wait
for mine to get in a driveable shape.

Old February 6th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled