2001 Dodge Caravan Sport

Old January 3rd 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
homersmydog

Default 2001 Dodge Caravan Sport

We bought a used 2001 Caravan Sport second hand. It has the electric
left rear door. Problem is sometimes it will open with the remote or
the console switch , sometimes not, mostly not. It will always close
though. Are we just not holding our mouths right or what?

Old January 3rd 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jdoe[_1_]

Make sure you don't have the safety switch on.
ups.com...

Old January 3rd 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"homersmydog" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We bought a used 2001 Caravan Sport second hand. It has the electric
> left rear door. Problem is sometimes it will open with the remote or
> the console switch , sometimes not, mostly not. It will always close
> though. Are we just not holding our mouths right or what?

Make sure you unlock the doors first or it wont open.

Old January 7th 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
homersmydog

maxpower wrote:
> "homersmydog" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > We bought a used 2001 Caravan Sport second hand. It has the electric
> > left rear door. Problem is sometimes it will open with the remote or
> > the console switch , sometimes not, mostly not. It will always close
> > though. Are we just not holding our mouths right or what?

I've made sure the doors are unlocked, safety switch is off, everything
I can think of. With the doors unlocked , you can hit the switch and
it will sound like it's opening but just unlatch. Sometimes when it
unlatches and you get out to make sure the door will close , closing
the drivers or front passenger door will cause it to close back and
latch, After that you can try the remote and it will open and close
like you would expect it to. I'm to the point to just do it all
manually, (heavy door) !

Old January 7th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"homersmydog" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> maxpower wrote:
> > "homersmydog" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > We bought a used 2001 Caravan Sport second hand. It has the electric
> > > left rear door. Problem is sometimes it will open with the remote or
> > > the console switch , sometimes not, mostly not. It will always close
> > > though. Are we just not holding our mouths right or what?
> > >

> I've made sure the doors are unlocked, safety switch is off, everything
> I can think of. With the doors unlocked , you can hit the switch and
> it will sound like it's opening but just unlatch. Sometimes when it
> unlatches and you get out to make sure the door will close , closing
> the drivers or front passenger door will cause it to close back and
> latch, After that you can try the remote and it will open and close
> like you would expect it to. I'm to the point to just do it all
> manually, (heavy door) !

It probably as nothing to do with the remote or switches. If one of the
wires at the bottom of the door track (harness) is broken, this wire happen
when trying to open it. You can disconnect both ends of the harness and test
the wires for continuity on each wire. If one is found to be broken simply
run a new wire. The other problem could just be a bad latch assembly. A Scan
tool would be needed to verify what position the micro switches are in when
the door will not work

Glenn Beasley